Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

Unread 04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

I love when people especially men ask so what did you have done? well I usually tell the, girly stuff and that ends it but some are actually curious and ask what kind! I give it to them if they want to know Men usually ask but dont want to know and women dont know how to react I have had congradulations to are you ok with that? I get more caring from strangers then family sometimes.My sister refers to me as the hyperchondriact because I just had my left ovary out because I was still in pain from the hyster. I was glad to fill her in that when the Dr took my ovary it had a 4 cm cyst and they both the cyst and ovary were resting in a bed of scar tissue. I have learned through all this that ignorant people are meant to be ignored!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

not so much that reaction but i did get several people to tell my husband that he should leave me and find a woman who could give him children including my mother- in- law
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Lol

Thanks, these were fun to read. I almost wonder if she thought a hysterectomy was an optional procedure to prevent kids...like getting your tubes tied. I though that once when I was young and naive. I wondered why a neighbor would get a hysterectomy when she only had 1 child. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess they just don't explain these procedures in school do they?
Anyway, I've been surprised at the number of older women who have had problems, they always want to tell their story and I love to listen. The girls who are my age or younger (32) seem to really not know what to say. They just say oh, I'm sorry, can I bring you dinner. If it hadn't happened to me I don't know that I would know what to say either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 02:16 AM

frogqueen - how horrible to have that said to your husband! Some people can be so awful. I had one colleague who asked what my surgery was and I said it was "female stuff" interrupt me at that point and say "ok too much information - don't go there - don't want to know". However, I am ok with the variety of reactions now because I know much of it is from ignorance or just being a bit shocked and not knowing what to say.

Tunacat, I am so sorry you were so hurt by your sil. Your sil has hurt you by her response but given that formerly you got on really well, I am wondering if you could just say to her "you seemed pretty overwhelmed when I told you about my surgery and you didn't say anything. That was such a different response to what I was expecting and I thought you should know I was a bit hurt by it because we have always got on so well." and then see what she says. If you had never got on, I wouldn't bother, but given you did get on, she may not realise how much her apparent indifference has hurt you. - You'll never know if you never go there. What's the worst thing she can say? And it might just be an opportunity for her to make amends? Just a suggestion - you know her best of course and must do as you think appropriate. Some people are just rude - others just get caught off guard and do or say the wrong thing at the time and regret it but don't know how to come back from it.

Its so great that we can support each other on this site. I am so grateful for it that it takes my mind off the glass half empty side of life sometimes.

Blessings

Alison
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:48 AM

Alison, thanks for the thoughtful suggeston. I won't be seeing sil for another cuple of weeks, and will play it by ear. I feel like perhaps it's best not to bring it up unless she does. Otherwise, we just chat easily about everything- our kids, their schools, cooking, neighbors, a certain sil that is a pain in the butt, the usual stuff.
If she is uncomfortable, she won't bring it up and I won't either.
Unread 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM

I know you probably got your feelings hurt and all, but remember....you don't have to go through all the monthly yuk, so whatever....be glad. She really may not have known....or maybe she just didn't know how to respond. I wouldn't worry much about it!
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogqueen111377
not so much that reaction but i did get several people to tell my husband that he should leave me and find a woman who could give him children including my mother- in- law

How cold and ignorant people can be... Pity them

to YOU
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM

what terrible things people say ! what can they be thinking,would they want their partner or spouse to leave them ? and what kind of person would leave someone after going through this ? your husband should be offended that anyone would suggest he is capable of such a thing! avoid them...what people send out comes back to them...my prayers are with you !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register