Worried about surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about surgery Worried about surgery

Unread 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Worried about surgery

My TAH is scheduled for April 8th. Sometimes I feel like I can deal with it, but then other times I am a complete wreck and cry. I'm so worried about so much: what if they find that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, what if my ovaries freak out and shut down, what if sex with my DH isn't the same?

I just can't believe how scared I am. This is so hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Worried about surgery

Hi aucklyes!

Most of us have experienced the same emotions during the pre-op days and it's difficult, for sure.

Perhaps this Pre-Op Article will provide some useful information:

Coping With Pre-Op Anxiety & Fear

I am sending many positive thoughts and calming vibes your way.

Many s to you,
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Worried about surgery

I think the days leading up to surgery were indeed some of the most difficult ones. Just remember, many of us have been where you are now, and if we can make it, SO CAN YOU!! And, you'll come out the other side stronger and more beautiful than ever.

Maybe you can find some distractions you enjoy to help keep your mind off things . . . BTW, my surgery was also on a Tuesday (I was discharged Thursday night.).

Hang in there, sweetie!!

monami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Worried about surgery

Hi Aucklyes, sure glad you found us and we can be there for you during this very scary time. You bet it's scary, but sometimes, the unknown is even scarier. Just think - soon you'll know what you're dealing with and we'll be there as you think through what comes next. As one of our sisters (Ellen) has taught us, don't waste a good panic. In other words, don't fret too much over what COULD be - focus on where you are for now and know that we'll be there when you feel strong and when you need a shoulder.
Unread 04-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Worried about surgery

Aucklyes:
The waiting and wondering are almost a thing of the past... Try to do something you love this weekend... Enjoy your pre-surgery body and the people around you... You WILL come out of this surgery and handle what is put in front of you. We are much stronger than we think. I am getting close to being able to do the "thing" with DH ... The worry part starts up again.. Just try not to dwell on things, and like everyone says "Don't waste a good panic".
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Worried about surgery

Originally I saw the oncologist on March 7 and he scheduled surgery for March 31, as he was going on vacation. So I had 3 weeks to wait. But, in my mind, the waiting began on January 11 when I saw the first spot of blood and worried I had cancer.

It really helped me, while I was waiting, to think about how I wanted to improve my life. I decided that even if I ended up with the worst diagnosis, I wanted the rest of my life to be different. So I did a lot of reading, thinking and praying and came up with my action plan. This helped to keep my fear at bay, although there were times I sat and cried and other times I could not sleep well.

This is an experience none of us would have chosen. And, it is going to change us forever. Both of those thoughts are scary enough. I hope it helps to know that I will be praying for peace of mind for you.
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Worried about surgery

Hi Aucklyes:

The waiting is definitely the worst part. The what-ifs drives us nuts and our minds and emotions can be overwhelming during this time.

Try some relaxation techniques, concentrate on today, and take it one step at a time.

And know that we are with you in spirit and as monami said, if we can do it, so can you.

Remember that you have the strength inside you to get through this and you have many many sisters sending you their strength and good vibes.

Before you know it, you'll be on the other side of surgery and know for sure what you are dealing with. Until then, try to find some peace.

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Worried about surgery

Thank you all so much for your love and encouragement. This would be impossible to get through without all of you.

Love,

Elisa
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Worried about surgery

Elisa,
Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery, this is definately the hardest part...waiting for surgery! Try to do something this weekend that will help take your mind off of everything..if only for minutes at a time. My husband was so good before my surgery, he took me fishing and on a picnic, movies, etc. TRYING to keep our minds off of the the surgery. I was a complete wreck and cried constantly. Sorry you are having to go through it now. I had a radical hysteretomy for stage 1 b cervical (squamous cell) and I also had endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ.... have not had any further treatment, so far, so good nearly six years later. I have my life back now, better than before, so there is hope. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Feel free to PM me anytime.
Rhonda
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Worried about surgery

Hi Elisa, I want to add my s and good thoughts. While it may not seem so, the waiting really often is the hardest part. We each have so much unknown inner strength so if needed it will come to the fore.
Keeping busy can help. As others suggest, if possible try to do something your really enjoy this weekend. Also, pls don't be afraid to ask for an anti-anxiety med if only to help you sleep and remain strong for your sugery; the doctors understand this.
s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register