Anyone else choose the WRONG doctor? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else choose the WRONG doctor? Anyone else choose the WRONG doctor?

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone else choose the WRONG doctor?

My doctor didn't bother going to the waiting room after surgery to let my DH know how things went. He wasn't able to find me until they were wheeling me into my room.

AND THEN...When I went in 7 days post-op to have the staples removed, I asked what my physical limitations were. He said I could do anything I wanted to. In shock(after tons of advice, and reading things on this site about NOT OVER DOING IT) I asked, "You mean I can vacuum, mop, do laundry, drive, etc?"
And he said yes.

I have all intentions of getting a new Dr. I was just wondering if anyone else found out too late their Dr. had webbed feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM

I had a LAVH on the 6/3 and my doc said the same thing when i asked to housework, driving etc. Told me no theres no restrictions but do not go to work for 6 weeks! Didnt get his reasoning on that one!! When i told the physiotherapist and the Sister of the ward what he said they about passed out!!! You have to wonder about doctors at times!!!!
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:37 PM

While it seems extreme - they are the ones who saw your insides and know their "work" so they don't impose restrictions HOWEVER they should also tell you to increase activity gradually and if it hurts - stop! I fully trust my surgeon - I have seen her patients do exceptionally well and her comment to me was "if I didn't like what I saw or if something went wrong, the restrictions would be tougher" The fact is most surgeons don't use the "hundreds" of stitches they used to - thus increasing the risk of tearing - most surgeons use cautery or clips which are much more secure. If you have a large incision they do have layers of sutures so your activity should be smooth and calculated...that's where vacuuming is problematic, lifting suddenly or while bending...so take it easy... just because they say you can doesn't mean you should - ultimately you know your body best and should be very aware of your body's messages during your healing period, rest, nutrition and gradual increase in activity are the biggest things to remember! Report fevers, new or persistent pain and don't go crazy with the housework (I like that one)! The time off from work of 6 weeks gives you a chance to gradually build up...enjoy it!!!

Take care of yourself!
Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM

I agree with your doctor knowing what work he did to you. However ive found my doctor to be an arrogant little man that doesnt give his patients the time of day. He breezes into the ward an out again before you have a chance to actually ask him a question!! He looked at me in disbelief when i asked about restrictions!!!
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I hear that - I have been practicing in surgery for a long time and unfortunately arrogance seems to come along with the territory...I know they are busy but I think they slept through the bedside manner class...however, I want my surgeon to be skilled - not like we're gonna hang out!! It is so refreshing when a plesant one comes along - I was lucky - I got skill and caring from my doc...she went to the class
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM

did you have an lsh? i was told i could do those things from the beginning, got the all clear for sex and running/working out at 2 weeks. dr's seem to have different opionions on what can be done after the lsh...but from what i've read, most are pretty lenient.
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Lol i dont think i got either. I had endometrial ablation in Nov which ended up with me having chronic pain and infections over the xmas period. Then having a hysterectomy which again has left me with infection and pain. I'm glad everything went okay for you, guess ive just been unlucky.
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM

I really like my doctor. He called a couple days ago to give me my pathology report and I asked him if I could do the dishes. He said in a joking manner that I could not do dishes for a year. Then I said he should tell my husband that. Then we both laughed it was so funny I did not expect it at all. But then he did say I could do dishes and also go walking outside but just don't do anything vigorous until my two week check which is 5 days away. I'll see what he says then.

I'll definately be listening to my body though and taking things slow and won't be vacuuming for a while no matter what my doctor says. I'm going to be really careful for 6 weeks. I've been being careful for years though since I had spine surgery 3 years ago so it won't be much different then that. I'm sort of on the never lift anything heavy again for the rest of my life program after I blew out a disc in my back.
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Wow, I'm sorry about your doctors. I really like mine, however, the way I got to him is by having crappy doctors. I quit going to a gyn 4 1/2 years ago because I had lost all faith. Then, when my problems started getting worse, I knew I had to go see one, so I asked EVERYBODY I knew, and most of them said the same doctor. I don't care if he moves or if I move or whatever, I will never change doctors again. I'd travel cross country if I had to.
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Well, I don't know who to blame for this one???? I don't know what I had. Other than the fact that I have a cervix and one ovary left.(Abdominal-nice 61/2 inch scar.) How he did it, the method used, I dunno.
My fault for not knowing the questions to ask, or his for not explaining?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register