incision pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incision pain incision pain

Unread 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
incision pain

I am 15 days out from my TAH, and I am having a lot of incicion pain. The pain started about 2 days ago. I don't think I did anything really that would cause the added pain. I had just been taking my pain reliever at night, but now need it during the day too. The incision doesn't feel warm to the touch, and I am not running a fever, so don't think it is an infection. The layer below the skin is very hard, almost like a callous running the whole length of the incision. Is this normal? I first noticed the hardness around the same time the pain started. Besides the pain it also feels kind of like it would if you had a pair of pants on that were too tight and cutting into your belly. I do know that if the pain hasn't eased by Monday I will have to call the doc, becuase I will be out of pain meds. I don't want to need any more, and I know the doc doesn't want to perscribe any more. I did manage to cook a meal for my DH last night, was the first one since surgery. Well unless you count grilled cheese and canned ravioli. I did lift a full pot of water and macaroni that really didn't seem to help much. I felt a lot of pulling when I did it, but it was so important to me to be able to cook for him. He has been doing everything for me. I still can't make my own tea if he is home, he jumps up to get it when I go to the fridge for water. Also I am taking an antibiotic for an ear infection that popped up on Monday after running a temp for a week after getting home from the hospital. I had my first follow up check on Monday and the doc said everything looks great. I am still supposed to be doing almost nothing. The only thing he has cleared me for is walking. I was starting to feel human again before the pain started up. This is just so frusterating. Any input would me much appreciated. Thank you.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
incision pain

Hi Sara
Yes, the incision should feel like a callous running under it ( I have the same feeling after abdominal hyst as I did with a C-section)
and I am about a week ahead of you recovery-wise, and I started feeling MUCH more uncomfortable several days ago, suddenly, and I am also quite fatigued, worse than when I was in my second week of recovery.

Maybe because I only take pain pills at night, I am feeling the pain more? (Ibuprofin helps but barely takes the edge off the sharpest zingers)

People here have had similar experiences and were told that it is muscles and nerves reconnecting... I feel same as you, if not better by Monday, call DR and ask if they want to see you.

This is hard... ((hugs))
Dee
Unread 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
incision pain

I had the same still at day 15 but it was because I was doing things more than walking. Over doing it. And in our condition too much is just standing for 20 min. Minor things, but I still needed to stay down, my body was letting me know. If you look at week 2 checkpoint it will tell you the same thing basically. I just made myself lay down for days, it got better and the incision pain subsided. I still get it when I do to much. I am still sore when I do not do anything. We are just very fragile right now. I still have to walk "gently". Not like I walked pre op. I know it's frustrating because you figure after 2 weeks the pain should subside. You have to listen to your body and get off your feet and lay down when your incisions hurt you. Doesnt hurt to call DR also, that's what they are there for. I stopped taking meds for pain early on because since I could not feel the pain I was doing more. I paid for this for days later. So now when I do take meds, it's only on the condition that I do not get up and do anything except potty or eat. No laundry, no dishes, nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
incision pain

Hi Sara,

It sound all pretty normal. Especially if your only taking your pain killers at night. I still have sorness in that area after 3 months. You lucky that your DH has been able to help you like he has. Mine was busy running our busniess so I had to do everything myself. Try to take it easy as much as possilbe. I know from my exsperience that the more I tried to do the more I hurt. Your numbness is probely starting to go away so your feeling things more. If you really hurt take the pain pill. It might make you sleepy but, at this time and down the road your body needs the rest. Even though I been back working after 4 wks I look forward to the weekends cause I don't do much but lay around cause I'm sore from working all week.
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
incision pain

Hi, Sara.

I had the exact same thing going at about 15-days post-op. Today is 3-weeks post-op for me. The pain has subsided for me. My scar is also hard to the touch underneath the incision. The pain should ease soon...if not, call your doctor.

Shannon
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
incision pain

Hi Sara,

I am 18 days post-op TAH and it seems like going into the third week has been alot harder than the first and second week. My Dr. said that the healing process goes in phases. It wouldnt hurt to call your Dr. as I did just for reassurance. Thank goodness for our wonderful DH's. Just take it one day at a time. I am told it does get better....Take care, Joan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register