can an internal stitch "work its way out" 6 weeks postop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can an internal stitch "work its way out" 6 weeks postop? can an internal stitch "work its way out" 6 weeks postop?

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:34 PM
can an internal stitch "work its way out" 6 weeks postop?

OK, so has anyone heard of or experienced this?

Incision totally closed over, healing well at 6 weeks post op, then one corner suddenly opens up again - and there's a little bit of pointy sharp something sticking out.

I had LSH, but with more extensive incisions than is typical.

This wasn't one of the three big (1-1/2 inch) incisions that had very visible external stitches. It was one of a couple little (3/4 inch) incisions they used for those scope things. Didn't even look like there were any stitches there originally - just butterfly bandages for two weeks until it had scabbed over.

But now there's a little bit of pointy something I want to pull out of the wound. (OK, I know this is stupid, but I'm afraid it could be attached to something - and I'll unravel!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM

hi. Glad you're healing well...sort of anyway. Give your Dr. a call and let them know. When I had my tubal a couple yrs ago my body rejected those stitches. They wouldn't dissolve and my body kept pushing them out. Dr. had to cut and remove.(also had infection) So when I saw gyn/onc about hyst. I mentioned stitch issues. They put them in anyway. I have 5 incisions 2 of which stitch once again is poking thru. At post op Mon. dr. didn't seem concerned so will wait another 3 wks till I see him again and see what he does. Some peoples bodies just don't absorb stitch. Do not pull on it and if it gets snagged on clothes and whatnot dr. will trim if not remove them. Good luck.
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:08 PM

I had three do that. The doctor said my body saw them as a foreign object and worked them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:47 PM

That happened to me also on the lower LSH incision. I actually had a stitch sticking out that was attached to the knot. No biggy until somehow it got tucked back in. I did not even know it. I also had one on one of the upper incisions but the dr. was able to pull that one out. OUCH! Anyway the lower incision healed over and seemed fine until it got a little red in color and just did not feel right. I started poking around at where the stitch stuck out and the incision at that point opened up. I gave it a little squeeze and some infection came out and a point of the stitch. Grabbed it with tweezers and pulled it out. Got up and walked around and still did not feel right. Gave it another squeeze, a hard one, and a ton of infection came out and some more of a stitch. Pulled that out and went to pull a hot rag on it to pull out more infection. Long story short, saw something and again got the tweezers and actually pulled out the knot of the stitch. It was rock hard. Fast forward about a week and a half and my pants caught on something. Looked at the incision and there again was another stitch. Pulled it out and finally I think it is healing proper. It was a little weird doing surgery on myself, HA, HA.
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM

I had a couple of little stitch ends sticking out and when I mentioned it to the doc at my 4-week post-op she said to just get some tweezers and pull them out. They're from the internal incisions. I managed to get one out of the belly-button incision and one came out on its own, but the others seem to slide back under healing skin and I haven't been able to grab them. They itch and snag on things, but haven't gotten infected. They're just annoying at times. If I can grab them I will, but I'm not going to worry about them otherwise.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:17 AM

Good heavens - I had no idea. I thought I must be going nuts, feeling imaginary stitches along with the weird little pains that still come and go.

Thank you all so much for sharing and relieving my paranoia!

I didn't have the guts to do surgery on myself with tweezers, but I sort of worried it out after a long hot shower.

How come no one tells you to expect this kind of thing?
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:33 AM

So sorry that you have opened up a little. Hope you get it closed up safe

I was 14 weeks out yesterday, and had to see my Surgeon this last Monday. The left side of my incision had opened up on the corner. Dr. said probably a stitch, but couldn't see it. He prescribed Bactroban Cream 2% 3x a day for 10 days. I guess it looks better. Heck I can't really see it.
Then as I was leaving he said if it doesn't heal up go to the ER. Could be MRSA. What the heck I was already a little freaked. Lets throw that in
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Wow. I hope you're not too depressed with this setback. I would have thought that 14 weeks out we'd all be safe from post op complications already!

MRSA would be a real longshot, right? (Unless you've been squirming around on germy mats at the gym flashing your luv-ly abs-?) I'm sure that was just to worry you for no good reason.

Anyway, I really have had an easy recovery so far, so I shouldn't whine. Nothing near as challenging as what some of the ladies here report. But I did think I'd be back to "normal" by now. Sigh.
Unread 04-05-2008, 01:18 PM

I had that happen on my last two laps. I just grabbed the end of the sutures with a tweezer and it pulled right out- knot and all. Felt much better once it was out.

gigi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register