How equal are post-op rules of behavior? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How equal are post-op rules of behavior? How equal are post-op rules of behavior?

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
How equal are post-op rules of behavior?

Hello,

I am on Day 11 post-op. I was sore for the two days following my FAH (much of it due to a highly uncomfortable hospital bed). I took one Rx pill on Day 3 (when I got home) and have taken Advil only occassionally since Day 4. I am tired and feel slight discomfort when I walk (sort of like I would feel if I did 100 crunches the night before).

By Day 6, I was listless and tired of reading. I had my friend drive me to the food store (a 10 minute drive). I forgot a couple of things and drove myself there the next day. I also picked up around the house (single parent of young and messy kids). I knew I overdid it so I stayed in bed for the next two days (and read a novel between naps). Yesterday, I drove my kids to the orthodonist (a 10 minute trip each way). Today, I have not moved my behind (started my second book).

Today, I casually mentioned the above activities to a friend who called me a nutcase and lectured me about the driving. She said that this could cause painful scar tissue to form, which could lead to another surgery. Honestly, I did not feel much discomfort after these short jaunts--none more great had I stayed home and walked around the block. My doctor remarked that my condition and spirts immediately following post-op were remarkably excellent. I am in fairly good shape, although I am far from a Denise Austin. I know that we heal in different ways and in time frames.

I have read the post-op activity timelines--but how do I know what time frame fits me ? Should I listen to my well-intentioned friend or to the way my body feels on the outside? If I feel okay, why can't I drive?

I know that I need to heal on the inside and I don't want to over-exert myself. Yet there are certain times when I am going to need to get someplace that is less than a 10 minute drive. Also, my kids (ages 6 and 7 ) are too young to cook a decent dinner all by themselves. None of my friends and family live in my town, and frankly I won't call them over to do tasks that are not physically straining.

I want to do what is best for me to heal properly and I think that I know my limits. However, I do not have a magic wand to complete the necessary mommytasks that arise here and there.

Any personal or medical insight would be greatly appreciated!

Signed--Don't Want to be a Hysterwrecktomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Has your Dr released you to drive? Try not to over do it I have been and I'm paying the price now. Your body will tell you when you've done to much.
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Okay, I am not sure what an FAH is....oh my abbreviation knowledge is lacking. LOL!

It does sound like you have overdone it. Really, you need to rest and take care of yourself. You have one chance to do it the right way.

I had LSH and tried to get back out there 2 weeks post-op. I paid the price the next day.

One thing that many do not think about is grocery shopping. You may think that you can shop and have someone take your groceries to your car...and then take them, bag by bag into your house. Please remember...that shopping cart weighs in excess of 500 pounds. You are pushing it. NOT GOOD! DON'T DO IT! They tell us not to vacuum, there is no way we should push a shopping cart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Rules of Post-op

Thank you to GizmoCat and sw34 for your advice. Sounds like you've been there, done that. I had my friend push the shopping cart and she carried in the food. My kids helped to to put it away. So it's not like I'm out there lifting boulders--I do set reasonable (to me) limits.

I guess that I need a better understanding of what is going on INSIDE me right now. Another friend told me to picture all the other organs left in me shifting to accomodate for the space left with the removal of my uterus, tubes and ovaries (thus the Full Abdominal Hysterectomy--FAH--although I believe that I'M the one who is acrynomically-challenged!). I have not found this information anywhere.

Thank you again...off to read my book until I drift off to sleep...
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM

ahhhh....
please watch overdoing it....you have alot of healing to do. i know its HARD to not do stuff for yourself...(i overdid it a few times myself, and i am 8+ weeks after a TVH, and still wear out fast!!)

read up on all the post op info on here!
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulhyster
Thank you to GizmoCat and sw34 for your advice. Sounds like you've been there, done that. I had my friend push the shopping cart and she carried in the food. My kids helped to to put it away. So it's not like I'm out there lifting boulders--I do set reasonable (to me) limits.

I guess that I need a better understanding of what is going on INSIDE me right now. Another friend told me to picture all the other organs left in me shifting to accomodate for the space left with the removal of my uterus, tubes and ovaries (thus the Full Abdominal Hysterectomy--FAH--although I believe that I'M the one who is acrynomically-challenged!). I have not found this information anywhere.

Thank you again...off to read my book until I drift off to sleep...
Soulhyster.....you hit a major nail on the head. 99% of us do not think about our organs rearranging themselves. Yes, an organ has been removed, so everything above shifts.

A few years ago, I went to my Dr. complaining of pain due to a cracked rib...she was poking and prodding and said "You liver is lower than it should be." I said, I do not have a gallbladder. Duh! That was it, my liver sits lower than "normal" livers. LOL!
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:20 AM

Soulhyster

You've had some sound advice from your ((sisters))!

A hysterectomy is major surgery and the initial, vital, healing takes approximately 6 weeks. Full recovery is then anything from 3 months to a year. If you knew just how much "work" had been done inside, with hundreds of stitches, I doubt you'd want to leave the house! (It sounds as though you had a TAH: total abdominal hysterectomy).

It may help you to read our HS article <link> Doing Too Much, Too Soon.

Please rest as much as possible ~ you've only this one chance to heal properly. Take care!

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:41 AM

with the driving, it's not so much the regular driving (although that uses lots of abdominal muscles that are already strained from the surgery) -- it's what if someone cuts you off or someone steps out in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes. Can you move your leg/foot fast enough? can you apply enough pressure to stop suddenly? can you do all of that without damaging your innards? Of course, driving at all assumes you're off pain meds.
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I truly thank each of you for the insight that you have given. I have given myself a dose of common sense and self-indulgence! I appreciate the warm welcome to the Hysterhood! (love the icons!)
Unread 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM

I too, felt better than I knew I was internally. Luckily for me, I read up in here and knew to pamper myself.

There will be time enough later to clean the messes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register