Hysterectomy and no more migraines? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy and no more migraines? Hysterectomy and no more migraines?

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Hysterectomy and no more migraines?

OK, When I was 14, I was diagnosed with severe chronic migraines. The good news, as my dr said, was that they would probably go away when I went into menapause. (PS. telling a 14 year old that is like telling them they will have them for 9000 years!) I have never had a full month go by without at the very least, 2 migraines. I have learned to manage them-long story there-but I learned to deal. WELL-my last migraine was January 21, 2 days before my hyster. I am 40, have ovaries, not any sort of perimenapausal, but I hope that they don't come back! This is the longest I have gone in my life without one! Has anyone else suffered with migraines, now have none? I am ecstatic about this and hope it lasts!
Thanks!
Lee-Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:45 AM

laminct,

I am 48 and started having migraine headaches a couple of years ago. My TLH/BSO was January 8th of this years, and like you, I have not had a migraine since! Sounds like there may be a connection.

Charlotte
Unread 04-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Oh my gosh! I am soooo jealous! I have had problems with migraines the last few years. I had my TAH on March 20th and I've had a migraine almost every day since my surgery! And I couldn't take my migraine medicine because it interfered with my pain meds. (got different pain med now)

I am so happy for you. I really am, because that's a huge life changing thing to not have migraines any more!

On a side note, I've had a bad back since I was 15 (31 now) and had daily pain for quite some time now. Well, since my surgery, I haven't had any back pain! I completely understand you being ecstatic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 03:59 PM

Michelle,
At least some of your pain is relieved. I have a stockpile of Imitrex now!
Sorry to hear you are still having migraines. I hope yours go away too! (and mine don't come back!)
Lee-Anne
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM

I had finally gotten around to seeing a neurologist for migraines a week before surgery. I had been taking imatrex like a maintenance drug, and wanted to look at alternatives. He too said that the hysterectomy might take care of it. Unfortunately, I am getting them at the same rate as before. Congrats to those of you that are migraine free!
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:15 PM

I can't say that my TAH/BSO totally cured my migraines, but they have become very few and far between since my surgery. I am guessing that my migraines were triggered by my whacked out hormones.
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM

I've had migraines for years, I'm thrilled to think that maybe they'll be gone with my TVH. Wow !!!
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:53 AM

laminct

From reading many similar threads, my impression is that the ladies who had their ovaries removed had better results with their migraines ~ this certainly appears true where hormonal migraines are concerned anyway.

I still have my ovaries and my migraines are unchanged but, to be honest, I didn't expect the removal of my uterus to improve the situation. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and everyone else!

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Well, I spoke too soon! Got a KILLER migraine today! But, if I get them every few months instead of 2-3 a week, I am still better off!
Lee-Anne
Unread 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM

For a few years now I have been having migraines with my cycle which was very out of wack. I would get 4 migraines per period and my periods were 2 weeks apart and lasted 10 days. I think it was definitely related to hormones and the level of blood loss. Since my LAVH 6 weeks ago I should of had 2 periods and 8 migraines, and nothing happened!!! At times I get the little twinges in my neck and temple but then nothing happens. I may get one eventually but I will take less frequent any day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register