Possible infection? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible infection? Possible infection?

Unread 04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Possible infection?

I think I might have a fever. I'm freezing and my thermostat shows it as being 72 degrees in here. I took my temp but I think it is broken because I am wrapped up in a blanket shivering. At my 2 week post-op on Monday I had to go to the lab and give a urine sample to see if I had an infection. It came back negative.

I called my Dr yesterday because my vagina was hurting and I had felt this before. The nurse said it is trauma from my hyster. The swelling and throbing has gone down. Could it be related?

Can an infection develop that quickly? Or maybe I just caught a bug and am getting sick. I hope I'm not getting sick.

For those of you who got an infection did it happen this quickly and what were your symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Possible infection?

Hi,
I have been shivering and running low grade fever (never over 100)
I was told its my body recovering from surgery & like a shock to my system. I do have low blood pressure & do not tollerate meds well. It helps to stay on top of pain. But verify with your Dr. & watch it like I am.Hope it helps.
Speedy recovery

Trixie4
3/28 LAVH (kept ovaries )w/sling to repair rectocile
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Possible infection?

Trixie4
Thanks, I was just worried that I was getting an infection. Hopefully my body is still in shock. I've been checking my temp all day and it has never gotten to high. Thank you for your reply!

You too, a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Possible infection?

Hi SW34 and Trixie4,

I wondered the same thing. I have been doing well, now 11 days out from my VH. I'm concerned about possible infection because just today, the vaginal discharge I have been having (and expected to have) suddenly changed from a slight pinkish color to a more reddish color. Similar to how menstrual blood can look after taking certain medications. I haven't had to take anything for pain since day 4. I have been experiencing bladder spasms that have increased in frequency, and end-stream pain with urination. I thought that maybe it was a bladder infection. Also, (not be gross or anything), there is an odor to the discharge over the past 2 days that I hadn't had before. I can't really contact my GYN's office until Monday morning though. I just wondered. I have had fevers of a low-grade, but that is not unusual for me. I see a Rheumatologist every 3 months due to an abnormal ANA and it is believed that these fevers are related to this.

I've decided to get off my feet again and increase my water intake to like I did in the hospital and immediately after I came home.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Possible infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadoll42
Hi SW34 and Trixie4,

I wondered the same thing. I have been doing well, now 11 days out from my VH. I'm concerned about possible infection because just today, the vaginal discharge I have been having (and expected to have) suddenly changed from a slight pinkish color to a more reddish color. Similar to how menstrual blood can look after taking certain medications. I haven't had to take anything for pain since day 4. I have been experiencing bladder spasms that have increased in frequency, and end-stream pain with urination. I thought that maybe it was a bladder infection. Also, (not be gross or anything), there is an odor to the discharge over the past 2 days that I hadn't had before. I can't really contact my GYN's office until Monday morning though. I just wondered. I have had fevers of a low-grade, but that is not unusual for me. I see a Rheumatologist every 3 months due to an abnormal ANA and it is believed that these fevers are related to this.

I've decided to get off my feet again and increase my water intake to like I did in the hospital and immediately after I came home.
My discharge changed colors too. I joked and told my Dr I'm bleeding a rainbow. I also had an odor. He said that some odor is normal because the stiches are dissolving and you are healing. I had a LAVH BSO. I'm not sure what type you had. I've had 2 fevers so far today my DH said if I get another before Mon he is taking me to the ER. I sure hope I don't. My blood started at red then lightened. You might want to monitor it because I've heard that red blood mean new bleeding. Are you having any pain?
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Possible infection?

I had infections post op and they can get very serious. It is nothing to play around with. Actually with both of my infections my fever was low grade 99-100.5. My fever didn't get real high until one of my infections got very out of hand.

Personally, I think you should check with your Dr just to ensure all is ok. With my first infection I felt lethargic and flu like along with the low grade fever.

Good luck and let us know how you do,

Starbgirl
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Possible infection?

PLEASE call your Dr back, or get your SO to take you to the ER. YES, infection can come on very suddenly. My recovery was going VERY well, then 2 weeks post-op I began running a very high fever. My Dr. told me to come in to the office IMMEDIATELY, and he admitted me back to the hospital the minute he saw me. My temp had skyrocketed to 104, when they took it at the hospital, despite having taken a 600 mg Motrin about 45 minutes before. I was given IV fluids and antibiotics, and was sent back home 2 days later with a 2 week supply of broad spectrum antibiotics.
I felt better after the first couple of days.
Please don't wait...infections can turn very serious very quickly.

(((HUGS)))
Hope your better soon!!!

Paula
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Possible infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsgtyfe
PLEASE call your Dr back, or get your SO to take you to the ER. YES, infection can come on very suddenly. My recovery was going VERY well, then 2 weeks post-op I began running a very high fever. My Dr. told me to come in to the office IMMEDIATELY, and he admitted me back to the hospital the minute he saw me. My temp had skyrocketed to 104, when they took it at the hospital, despite having taken a 600 mg Motrin about 45 minutes before. I was given IV fluids and antibiotics, and was sent back home 2 days later with a 2 week supply of broad spectrum antibiotics.
I felt better after the first couple of days.
Please don't wait...infections can turn very serious very quickly.

(((HUGS)))
Hope your better soon!!!

Paula
Did you feel any pain? I don't just the normal surgery pain. I am feeling nausea but my fever is not that high as yours was. Thanks I'll keep everyone posted.
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Possible infection?

No, I didn't feel any surgical pain at all. By the time the infection manifested, I was able to be off all of the hard pain meds, and was taking Motrin for the small twinges of pain that I was still getting from time to time.
The only symptoms I had were the high fever and some odd discharge when I went potty.

I really hope you feel better soon.

(((HUGS)))
Paula
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Possible infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsgtyfe
No, I didn't feel any surgical pain at all. By the time the infection manifested, I was able to be off all of the hard pain meds, and was taking Motrin for the small twinges of pain that I was still getting from time to time.
The only symptoms I had were the high fever and some odd discharge when I went potty.

I really hope you feel better soon.

(((HUGS)))
Paula
Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register