Any Ladies who had an A and P repair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Ladies who had an A and P repair? Any Ladies who had an A and P repair?

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Any Ladies who had an A and P repair?

Having a not so easy time at recovering? I had a TVH and a A & P repair. along with bladder and rectum area repair and have a hard time at recovering, I had to learn to pee and poo all over again, anyone else have this done???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Your're not alone! I also had problems with going to the bathroom ( the DR's assistant actually asked my if I was affraid to have a BM! Sure was, it hurt like heck to go)! I took the stool softerners and really increased my fiber and water intake and that helped. Hang in there, it does get better!
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi,
I didnt have an A and P repair, but what I can tell you about pooping is COLACE! it is great...it does not make you go or give you cramps, it is just very easy to go when you have to go, dont have to push or anything. I take two every morning and it works wonders.

blessings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbear
Having a not so easy time at recovering? I had a TVH and a A & P repair. along with bladder and rectum area repair and have a hard time at recovering, I had to learn to pee and poo all over again, anyone else have this done???
I had a TVH, AP Repair, and an overlapping anal sphincteroplasty. I was told it would be a very long and difficult recovery period. That's the truth. The first two weeks were the worse. I ended up with a UTI last week.

Peeing and pooping were definitely an issue. The first week the pooping was extremely painful and shocking because of all the blood. They weren't even hard BMs but it was still pretty bad. The peeing issues have been resolve with the use of antibiotics. Pooping was made much easier with the use of a "Red Robin" and Surfac (a stool softener).

I'll be four weeks post op on Monday. I see my doc weekly as I have a huge open wound from the vaginal opening all the way back to the rectum. I have a few hundred stitches inside and out and have to pack and repack the wound about every two hours. I've had two emergency trips to the doc and the er due to bleeding but was told it was normal because of the open wound. I honestly thought I was going to need a blood transfusion.

If I can answer any questions, I'll do the best I can. I'm not even 1/2 way through the recovery period but I'm much, much better than I was week 1 and 2.
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbear

I had the same repairs and yes everything down there feels very differant when going to the bathroom. It's almost like we have to re-potty train. urgency has been an issue for me, but doc says with time that will get better. I have be taking stool softners since surgery and that has helped. I also found when having a bm that the bleeding increases. Try not to sit on your bottom for long periods of time,. My surgery was march 5 and I'm just starting to feel like myself. hang in there . Best Wishes
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Shell, I had all the same repairs as you, and an awful time in the beginning. At first I was painfully constipated for almost two weeks. Doctor told me to switch to Peri-Colace (has a laxative with the stool softener) for 3 days then go back to regular Colace. It seemed to work, then all of a sudden it was like the floodgates opened and I had horrible diahrrea for over 2 weeks. (Didn't need any Colace!) Finally, I think I'm getting back to normal... or a new normal anyway. I also had the bladder sling, but haven't had any bladder problems at all; had catheter removed day after surgery. Hang in there..... it will get better!!
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM

WOW thanks so much for the answers I feel so much better hearing all the advice I felt SO ALONE OMG. Thanks again I am so glad I am not alone, I just told my hubby that I WANT TO BE NORMAL again and pee and poo normal again. I finally got the first BM out yesterday OMG was the most painful thing ever, ever since I have had diahrrea ever since though. No bleeding when I go though. but painful bum for sure
Unread 04-06-2008, 02:47 AM

Shellbear
I also had the same surgey as you and what your experiencing is very normal. I am coming up to 7 weeks post op and all that is well and truly back to normal and has been for a fews weeks. The first few weeks are the worst due to the amount of stiches and work done with the A & P repairs. I recall sitting on the toilet and basically waiting for the pee or BM to just fall out as I could not push or strain to save myself. So keep up the fibre and things will improve, its just the sitting upright that takes a bit longer to feel good. I still get uncomfortable sitting for extended timeframes.

Good luck.
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:34 PM

I am 12 weeks tomorrow and all I can say is it does get better. Use the Colace or generic stool softeners for the back side and don't get undressed in your walk-in closet because once you get chilled there is no holding the pee. Guess how I found out that little tidbit? 61 and dribbling on the carpet. Not a pretty sight. If this is the beginning of senility for me--- well, it just plain stinks.

Kay
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks again ladies I do find when I have to PEE I have to go right that min OMG. I find it a bit painful to pee still and I have to push like 2x to get it all the way out

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register