Help! Is all of this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  Is all of this normal? Help! Is all of this normal?

Unread 04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Help! Is all of this normal?

I am 5 days post op. Had a LAVH on 3-31 and went home the next evening. I am very emotional today and yesterday. My DH is going crazy with my crying. I am still in considerable pain. I read about all these women who are not taking any pain meds and I wonder if something is wrong with me. I am still taking Darvocet or Vicoden every 6 hours and 800mg Motrin every 8 hours. I feel like a failure because everyone else is bouncing back faster than me.. My stomach hurts. Last night I was in tears it hurt so bad. I lay around all the time. The only thing I do is take a shower every day. I felt pretty good this afternoon and went to lunch with my boys. Came home and went right to bed. Is all this normal? I really can't function without the pain meds but I feel like I shouldn't need it any more. I want to walk around the block, but don't have the energy. Please give me some feed back. Is all of this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM

I took pain meds and still take one at night. Everyone heals at different paces. If you are still in pain you have to keep it under control.

Did you have a BSO too? (ovaries removed) If so you might want to talk to your Dr about HRT. If you are crying that much, it can help you. I am on HRT and had to change a couple of times but I think the one I'm on now is working great.

Walking is good but only walk as much as your body will let you. What I'm trying to say is listen to your body. Rest, rest, rest! Don't over do it you don't want to have a set back. I was feeling great then I did to much and the last couple days I haven't been feeling so great. I also had a LAVH BSO on 3/13.
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Yeah, there were people on my post-op thread who never took pain meds, or stopped them after two days... whatever. Just ignore them. Like you, I had an LAVH, and I took every single Vicodin they gave me. Some people have a high tolerance for pain, and some do not. It's okay if you fall into the second group, like I do. That's just where we are.

If you are in pain, then you need the pain medicine. Your body will heal better if you get pain relief. Over time, you should notice that you can get by with less medicine. It took me about 9 weeks until I didn't need ibuprofen (or anything else).

If you really are concerned that you are having too much pain, you can always call your doctor and check on it. That might put your mind at ease if this is really bothering you.

Take care & let us know how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Just remember, we are all different. What works for one, doesn't for another.

You are normal, just like everyone else.

We also react differently. I am not one to cry...never have been no matter what. Others d cry easily. Both are equally okay.

Just go with what is right for you. Only YOU know how you feel.

It sounds, to me, like you are doing just fine. You have recovery to go through...and that's okay!

In no time at all, you will look back on this and realize that it went by so quickly. Pamper the Princess!
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Hi, please don't feel like a failure, you're not. I'm still laying around all of the day, & we had ours on the same day. I can't walk around the block either, I walk 3 houses to the maibox & get weak & have to come back home. Also, you went out to lunch, WOW. I tried to ride with my mom to the grocery store yesterday, went up & down 4 aisles, & almost passed out at the check stand. So I feel a lot weaker than other ladies here, but my pain is about a 2.

We are so individual, & what works for one, doesn't for another. Be easy with yourself, listen to the others who say take your pain meds, if your body is in pain, you can't heal. (your body will expend healing energy trying to manage pain).

And I ditto what Lysippe says, if in doubt, just call your Dr. That's why we pay them the big bucks. oh, & here's more of my 2 cents worth, if your Dr gave you 40 pain pills, thats because she/he thought you might need that many.
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Oh my gosh! Don't be so hard on yourself. I will be 5 weeks post op TVH on Monday and am still having down days. I had been on my feet on and off all day today and just took a Vicodin for the uncomfortableness in my low abdomen and vagina. I don't feel wimpy or anything about it. Listen to your body. I think most of ustend to get exhausted and/or sore for quite awhile.

You should have your husband read some of the posts on this site and/or check out the additional site for the men in our lives.

Please try to be easier on yourself and remember that you have just gone through MAJOR surgery and it will take a long time to fully recover.

God bless,
Theresa
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:37 PM

I deff. know the feeling of pain. Callie has been great talking to me about it. I have so much pain, I only get about 2 hrs. of sleep a night and cry most all the time. I ran out of my 30 percocet in 5 days. It is the weekend, and there is no dr. that will write me another one until monday.. hydrocodone do nothing for the pain. I am taking over the counter ibuprofen 200mg each and I take 4 at a time but they are not helping.. i am hoping they are helping any inflimation i may have... I feel your pain. You are not alone!I will continue to pray for you. Huggs. Carroll
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Hi Barbiebikerbabe,

You are not alone and are definately expecting too much too soon.

I also had a LAVH on Feb 27 (Australia) and whilst I felt great in myself was definately in pain for around 2 weeks, it does lessen with time and by the end of the first week was cutting down the meds - some days I needed more than others - your body will tell you.

I also went out to the shops with a friend at around the 15 day stage 9had cabin fever) and walked like an old lady and was stuffed after about 20 mins and had to put my feet up for the rest of the day.

It does get easier but you WILL have days that you have little or no pain and others where you will wonder what you have done - answer is nothing - it is all part of the healing.

When it hurts take something for it, but a little to start and then if you need more then be sensible.

Take it easy and rest, DO NOT LIFT ANYTHING for at least 6 WEEKS, no bedmaking, no hanging out washing, no sweeping, in other words except for wiping down the kitchen bench and folding up the washing (MAYBE) (dont lift the basket)...rest.

We went away in the 4th week and just the car trip home (5 hrs) had me resting up for the next couple of days.

I am now 5 1/2 weeks post op - still get a niggly if I overdo it...but FEEL GREAT.

so be pampered, look after yourself and REST UP.

Luv to you all

KEZZA
Unread 04-06-2008, 05:32 AM

sounds like to me your about I was not to long ago....I went to the store for the first time at bout 8 days post op...went half way round the store got dizzy, my insides were vibrating, had to let my huney finish while I went and sat down...I feel great one day so I'm up and around WAY to much, then I pay for it!
rest sweety....thats all we can do....good luck!
Unread 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Thank for the advice!

I knew this would be a long, tough healing process. I was a little down yesterday. I am feeling better today. I only took my 800mg motrin this am. I guess I am a little impatient. I am a person who likes to be doing things all the time. My DH has been great. I have a bell and he comes running if I need something. He gets angry if I try to get out of bed by myself. I thank God I have him! I hope that everyone is enjoying sunshine today like we are. I might even try a very short walk today! If you have any other advice I would love to hear more. God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register