4 weeks and miserable | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks and miserable 4 weeks and miserable

Unread 04-06-2008, 03:45 AM
4 weeks and miserable

Well it took this situation to get me to post something on a website. I expected to be better. I'm four weeks away from the March 10 hysterectomy, which was vaginal, and i thought i would be better. I'm still in some pain, i'm really tired, probably trying to do too much, and pretty depressed. The idea of going back to working out seems remote. Even short walks leave me tired. I have celiac disease so maybe that's been triggerred by the surgery. I don't know. I just feel really sad and frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:20 AM
4 weeks and miserable

stunned7

I'm sorry your having a rough time..have you called your doc? do you have a sign of infection anywhere? your body just may need you to sit and not move for cpl days...
I keep thinking Iwill feel FANTASIC when I hit my 4th wk....everybody else seems to do well after that mile stone..I'm doing well..but of course I want to be better...
normal is what I want, not to much to ask right?
I'm that you get to feeling better!
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:10 AM
4 weeks and miserable

I had company at 4 wks and did all the cooking and most of the dishes...
Boy did I pay for that... You can't rush this healing process, and when we start to feel better and do too much, our bodies are quick to point out that we just had major surgery. I can tell you by week seven I was more like my normal self, but the last two day, I have had to take an ibuprofen at night for pain... so just hang in there... it does get better... (just slower than any of us expected)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:38 AM
4 weeks and miserable

How kind of you to write so quickly. I have a houseful of kids so the temptation to do too much too soon is a given. Yes, my body is saying slow down and the advice of doing nothing for a couple of days is sound. I felt better last week and surely did too much. thanks for the encouragement.
Unread 04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
4 weeks and miserable

you just had major surgery...take things as slow as you need to. you will start to feel a little better every day. also, being down or depressed after major surgery is very very common. if you think its more than that, you should call your dr. if not...just remember that things WILL get better
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
4 weeks and miserable

Weeks 3 and 4 were filled with alot of up and down days for me. I was feeling pretty good and I kept overdoing it .... and I didn't think I was doing aheckuvalot, my body on the other hand said differently. I got exhausted with even only an hour of mild activity.
If your pain gets worse then it was a day or two prior and doesn't get better with rest then call your doctor.
Take things SLOW. There's really no rush to be "normal" -- all the day to day chores and the dirt will be there for you when you're really ready !
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM
4 weeks and miserable

Ladies- I agree with you all. Please take all the time your BODY tells it needs. I was like you all too at about the fourth week mark thinking I should been doing better than I was. On top of the hyst I have a few other chronic illnesses, and I'm here to tell you, take the time NOW to heal. I'm about 9 months out, and I'm just now starting to feel good again. I felt so bad for so long, I almost don't know how to act now. I'm still trying to get used to NO PEROID EVER AGAIN. Hang in there as mentioned before it REALLY does get better. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Daisy
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:22 AM
4 weeks and miserable

So sorry to hear about your troubles stunned. I agree with the others, listen to what your body is telling you. I also agree that the short walks can be tiring, especially if you are taking them outside. The fresh air is enough to tucker anybody out. With the weather so nice here, I've been going out on the deck for 10 to 20 minutes before bedtime, helps me fall right to sleep.

You should also talk to your dr about the depression, no matter how small you feel it may be. Sometimes just talking about it helps, and sometimes it may take a little more then talking about it for it to go away.

Also wanted to point out to make sure you take all of your meds and any supplements that you are on for your celiac disease, unless otherwise advised by your doctor.

I have quite a few that I take for my PCOS, and I can tell when I've forgotten to take them.
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
4 weeks and miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunned7
Well it took this situation to get me to post something on a website. I expected to be better. I'm four weeks away from the March 10 hysterectomy, which was vaginal, and i thought i would be better. I'm still in some pain, i'm really tired, probably trying to do too much, and pretty depressed. The idea of going back to working out seems remote. Even short walks leave me tired. I have celiac disease so maybe that's been triggerred by the surgery. I don't know. I just feel really sad and frustrated.
My surgery was the same day as yours, although I had quite an extensive 6 hour surgery.....I also expected to be much further along than where I am now. Getting back to the gym seems like it's going to take forever. Slowly but surely things will improve. My doc started me on estrogen cream and pills last week to help with the healing of my girly parts and my emotions. I retained my ovaries but they haven't quite come back to life yet on their own.

Two weeks ago I was in the depths of depression. Although I still have some lingering side effects of depression.....and real life family issues that I thought would magically disappear after surgery....I am dealing with things much better. I'm far from being worry-free but I haven't cried in like five days and I'm trying to move around more. Even though I'm still in bed most of the time, I get up every morning, get myself dressed, and do light duty things for myself.

I suggest talking to your doctor....there are options for the blues. You don't have to suffer.
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:57 AM
4 weeks and miserable

Well the most wonderful thing you said was that you hadn't cried in five days. That is great to hear and this is why. Becasue i'm doing a lot of crying, too, and if you haven't cried in five days then you must have cried enough to remark upon it before that. I'm better today. It's hard to just stay down after awhile but I see that I have no choice. And the family stresses...it's like I don't have the strength to take them on. I have to choose my battles with the kids. Mentally, I'm very scattered. I put potatoes in to roast before cooking them and I made a crust for a cobbler with no flour in it. I mean, really dopey things. I would have thought time in bed to read to my heart's content would be a joy but I cannot concentrate enough to enjoy it. Thanks for the help. This is a wonderful site.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register