Can Hysterectomy potentially trigger fibromyalgia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can Hysterectomy potentially trigger fibromyalgia? Can Hysterectomy potentially trigger fibromyalgia?

Unread 04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Can Hysterectomy potentially trigger fibromyalgia?

Hi Ladies,
I am curious about something two of my female co-workers told me last week. After they had their hysterectomies, they were diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am at the 3 month mark of post-op, so I am not worried of that happening. However, they got me thinking about it, largely because I have a niece (my sister's daughter) who developed fibromyalgia at a young age and I know how dibilitating it can be. How would I know to even think/realize that is a health issue for me? I know I'm always tired (especially now). I attribute that to waking a few times every nite to go potty and due to sweats. I have the creaky, achy joints, that I attribute to my adolescent and early adult sports activities. Perhaps this is not the site to ask? I don't know but thought I'd start here.
Thanks for any insights you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Can Hysterectomy potentially trigger fibromyalgia?

Hmmm...This is a tough question, because so little is known about the *actual* cause of fibro.

I have fibromyalgia, and did before my LAVH. DX'ed at 16y.o. Over the years I've had at least four different rheumatologists, each of whom has a different opinion about what causes fibro. There seems to be a latent predisposition to it in various people, but not all will get it; there has to be a trigger. For some it is physical trauma, emotional trauma, food allergies, sleep disorders, etc... So if we ascribe to this theory, yes, a hysterectomy could trigger fibro as it falls under the category of physical trauma.

However, it is just a theory. I'd be hesitant to say that in all post-hyst cases the surgery caused fibromyalgia. The diagnosis is still not widely recognized, but it is getting more exposure. In many cases a diagnosis post-hysterectomy might just mean that the person is only now getting a correct diagnosis for something that's been happening all along.

For me, my fibro has gotten better after my hysterectomy. But my body's weird that way ;-)
Unread 04-06-2008, 03:07 PM
fibro

I have been diagnosed with Fibro for over 12 yrs now, and while i can't say for sure that a historectomy will cause it. i can tell ya it will probably make your symptoms worse afterward. at least thats what Im expierencing.i had been feeling pretty good as far as the fibro went for the last couple years. Now, a month post op, i feel all the same symptoms of the disease multiplied!!!
i had the surgery to feel better, im hoping i didnt make a huge mistake and the fibro will never calm down again. it took me Years, a lot of money, and a lot of doctors, before i felt even close to normal and was able to work again.Hopefully i can get back where i was. im sure therer will be many Dr visits in the near future If you think thats whats going on,don't hesitate to find you a good gp and get it taken care of, i pray thats not whats happening to you.Hang in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Ladies,
Thank you so much for the replies on fibromyalgia. Both of you have confirmed for me what I suspected...that it is a tricky diagnosis. At this point in time, I am not really concerned, but as I said, it is in the back of my mind because I am aware of it through my niece.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register