Gush of red blood at 10 days post-op ~ anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gush of red blood at 10 days post-op ~ anyone else? Gush of red blood at 10 days post-op ~ anyone else?

Unread 04-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Gush of red blood at 10 days post-op ~ anyone else?

I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease. I am 2 wks post of LVH and been doing great ! My postop appt with Dr is this Friday, and I'm anxious for that. I have not bled at all really since the surgery but last night had a gush of red blood and now I need a pad for some bleeding. I called the dr. they said it's normal to start bleeding after around 10 days as the vaginal stitches start to dissolve. They also said a hematoma can form up around those stitches and as the stitches dissolve the hematoma breaks through. They wanted to be sure it was bright red and not burgundy (not sure why?). They said it just shouldn't be bleeding like a period. Anyone else had this happen.???? It's a little scary. I was doing so well and maybe too well. Hadn't been lifting but definitely was up and on my feet alot. They said they don't think that had anything to do with it and they didn't seem concerned so why am I ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 06:28 AM

LA - I don't think you have anything to worry about, although I completely understand. I have been feeling a little too good and probably doing too much as well. But really, if you doctor's office was concerned, don't you think they would have wanted you to come in? I'm sure it's just your insides healing. My doctor told me the same thing would happen. Just try to take it easy today nad see how things go!!

I'll be praying for you!!
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:58 AM

I started bleeding a few days after my surgery. My bleeding changed colors and now is a discharge. I too was told that it is normal and part of the healing process. I was told that if you soak through a pad in an hour then to call them back immediatly. Keep an eye on it and if it changes I would call my Dr back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM

I had bleeding at 10 days post-op and lasted a month. It wasn't too much-like spotting. It was sometimes bright red, sometimes pink and sometimes a dark brownish-red color. I know my dr. told me I would bleed a little more when walking but not so heavy that you soak a pad in an hour.
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM

I bled like crazy the first two weeks. In fact, I was seen as an emergency in the office and again in the ER, only to be told that it was normal due to the severity of my surgery. It turned out that the blood was actually coming from the huge open wound that was left after the sphinteroplasty and AP repair. It would pool up in my vagina and when I changed position or stood up it would be expelled.

The guideline of soaking through a pad in an hour is a good one......

Happy Healing to all......
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors
I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease. I am 2 wks post of LVH and been doing great ! My postop appt with Dr is this Friday, and I'm anxious for that. I have not bled at all really since the surgery but last night had a gush of red blood and now I need a pad for some bleeding. I called the dr. they said it's normal to start bleeding after around 10 days as the vaginal stitches start to dissolve. They also said a hematoma can form up around those stitches and as the stitches dissolve the hematoma breaks through. They wanted to be sure it was bright red and not burgundy (not sure why?). They said it just shouldn't be bleeding like a period. Anyone else had this happen.???? It's a little scary. I was doing so well and maybe too well. Hadn't been lifting but definitely was up and on my feet alot. They said they don't think that had anything to do with it and they didn't seem concerned so why am I ?

You already did all you could which is call doc and rest alot. About the same time 2-weeks post-op I had a popped stitch at the cuff site and passed a huge clot along with lots of blood.Went into my doc and she said it was nothing I did, just some people absorb or pop stitches sooner than others. It is alarming when at first you had no bleeding at all. If you still feel scared and are still bleeding go in and get a check up to put your mind at ease that everything is healing well. Rest alot and your body should do the rest on its own. Take it easy. Best Wishes
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:40 PM

I had a similar thing happen to me at about the 3 week post op mark. I woke up in the middle of the night to what I felt was bleeding and also feeling weird. I got myself to the bathroom and sure enough I filled the pad and the toilet with bright red blood and continued to feel weird and called for my husband and as soon as he came I passed out. He laid me on the floor and I soon came to. We called the Dr. and he said as long as it had stopped and there were no clots that was fine. Since that day I haven't even spotted. It was very strange and scary though. :wowee:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register