lost and confused... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lost and confused... lost and confused...

Unread 04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
lost and confused...

hello, i had a lavh+bso 7 weeks ago, had my post op check today, told the consultant still have bad low abdominal pain, like period pains and not feeling very well, she just said it was normal, didnt do an exam or anything, i feel very lost and confused, i thought she would do an internal to make sure i was healing ok... in the end looked at me and said if i wanted i could have sex... thats the last thing on my mind... as far the consultant is concern im fine but how does she know without examaning me.... some advise please, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
lost and confused...

good heavens - perhaps a new doctor? Even if there is nothing physically wrong, the doctor should have a bed-side manner that will reassure you, not ignore you. And bring someone with you to your next appointment, whether it's a new dr or the same one. He/she can verify what was said afterwards, and you can start to sort out what's really going on.

-advice from a woman with a rare nerve disorder who's seen far too many doctors (and decided at least 50% are bone-heads when it comes to bed-side manner).
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
lost and confused...

wow no exam how is she to know how the cuff is doing, i would see another dr or your GP for a second opinion cause i know at my post op i thought i was doing great and the exam showed my cuff wasnt healed and sex and swmiing had to be put op. i hope you get a dr who will help
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
lost and confused...

Did your Dr release you? Or do you have to go back? I would think they would have to take a look to know that everything is healing. And if they didn't I would insist on it before I had sex. At my six week post op appt my cuff still wasn't healed and I had to insert this Amino Cerv Creme in there for another two weeks before I could take a hot bath or have sex.
And believe me two weeks made a big difference in how I felt.
Good luck and I'll be praying for you!
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:57 AM
lost and confused...

No wonder you feel so lost and confused, your DR's actions or lack of are unnacetable. I too am 7 weeks post op and had my check up last week and definaely had an internal before being told I was healing well and cleared for sex etc. If you don't have another appt already booked I would make one and demand the internal or as a last resort go to your own GP.

FYI, I am still suffering discomfort as well, but mainly around the ovaries, I believe this is not unusual. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:09 AM
lost and confused...

Hi im almost 5 weeks post op and after i had my hyster i asked my doctor about a follow up appt to get checked. He told me there was no need and if i had any concerns to go see my own GP!!!! To me that was totally irresponsible and showed a lack of concern or feeling. I had endo ablation back in Nov and then my hyster and have been in constant pain for almost 5 months so you would think the least he could do was to check how i was doing now!!!! My own GP phoned him and demanded an out patient appt, thankk god!!
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:37 AM
lost and confused...

I had an exam post-op that he just did the finger check.. No speculum or light...(Sorry if TMI) I too wondered if that was enough... When those of you that had exams, just what did you have done? How thorough was it? I would have thought he would need to visually see the cuff.
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:37 AM
lost and confused...

Holy cow - I'm astounded at how some of these doctors get away with this stuff !

I had one post op appt at 4 weeks. My doctor did an internal, with speculum and light, then used his fingers to examine for discomfort. He then spent 15 minutes answering my questions (even tho I didn't like his answer about the swelly belly ! LOL).

Now - I can be very cute but I can also be very demanding. I've been known to say "um - I think you should look at this, listen to that, palpate here blah blah" to doctors. They may have medical degrees but we're STILL the customer and have a right to ask for what we want.

Honestly, if I had some of the doctors I've read about here I'd RUN not walk away from there office and find a new doctor.
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:49 AM
lost and confused...

When I went back for my 6wk I was still experiencing a LOT of pain. I told my OB-GYN and she said she was sorry that I wasn't getting any relief and maybe I should try acupuncture ( I had a LAVH for bad adhesions from previuos c-sections. Kept my ovaries). I was so depressed and and at the urging of family went to a new GP and he did a slew of testing (blood work, x-rays, ultrsound, colonoscopy, CAT scan etc.). Found out that I had divlerticulitis due to adhesions cutting off my colon. Part of my colon is severly infected and they are going to have to remove it (another big surgery). If I had ignored the pain and just kept masking it with pain killers it sooner or later could have been fatal. You know your body. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Get another opinion. I'm sure grateful I did!
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:23 AM
lost and confused...

if you have pain that is really bothering you and want to be examined to make sure there isnt a problem, you need to schedule another appt with the dr and let her know, or go see someone else. dont be afraid to speak up for yourself..you know your body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register