Pain worse when sitting and lying down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain worse when sitting and lying down Pain worse when sitting and lying down

Unread 04-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Pain worse when sitting and lying down

I had a TAH on March 27 - wow, I was not well prepared for this. I wasn't expecting the surgery until June but got a call with three weeks notice before the March date and grabbed it. Unfortunately that meant I spent my time getting work and family stuff in order instead of researching the surgery. I am shocked at how much this hurts and how long the recovery can be. I have breathing issues and can only take regular Tylenol for the pain which has me in tears a lot. The weird thing is that the pain is so much worse when I am sitting or lying down, so sleeping and relaxing are the pits. I actually feel a lot better standing and walking, so I am burning up lots of miles walking around the block, but I am not getting much rest and very little sleep. I hurt, I am emotionally a mess and I am exhausted. Anyone else have this experience. Suggestions?????? Please tell me this gets better soon!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Are you taking anything beside tylenol for the pain? Sounds like your pain is out of control. I took pain meds along with ibuprofen 800 mg. I'm still taking the ibuprofen every 6 hours. Is this a new pain? Maybe you should call your Dr. I hope you get your pain under control.
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM

I found that for the first three weeks I stayed in the recliner for sleep. Then when Igot to the bed I used a pillow under my knees to give me support.
Sleep is still a problem for me. Since you have an issue with pain meds might ask your doc if you could use a herbal pain med instead if your system will allow. I really don't think I could make it without the pain meds. Talk to your doc and see if there is something you can take, you need to get some rest.
Wish you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Have you tried a body pillow to see if that will help you be more comfy in bed? That's the only way I was able to fall asleep the first few days after surgery.

For sitting, I used our recliner. Helps take the pressure off of the pelvic area and back.
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Hi, sorry you're feeling so crappy. Your surger was not that long ago and you are probably having problems breathing because the anestisia and gas built up in your body. That can take weeks to go away and walking is really the only thing that will help move it around or if you can try rolling on your sides (easier said than done, but it helped me a lot). I don't know how you're surgery was done but regardless it was major surgery and you can't expect to be on your feet doing what you did a week ago. I'm almost 4wks out and still tire very easily, and also have a hard time sleeping some nights. Resting during day but not napping helps with that too. One of the themes on this wonderful site is YOU BEING A PRINCESS. You need time to heal and recover. Take things slow and let everyone else handle daily routines and take care of you. It's not easy not doing anything or doing very little and I'm not that kind of person but after having complications from a simple tubal ligation a couple yrs ago because I insisted on being on my feet the next day I refuse to have a set back in recovery now just because I'm stubborn. Take it easy and give yourself time. Walk around, take gas x stuff and keep stool softners on hand in case you have problems with that too. Good luck. (sorry, I see TAH surgery, harder recovery and you definitely need more time and pampering)
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM

cant your dr give you something for pain that wont conflict with your breathing issues? i'm sure theres something you can take that is stronger than tylenol. have you tried laying on your side with a pillow in front of you and maybe one inbetween your knees?
i hope you feel better soon and your dr can possibly call you in something stronger for pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register