Vaginal adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal adhesions Vaginal adhesions

Unread 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi there

I have been to the hospital for a check up today which was stressful in itself. The doctor said "you don't have a vagina at the moment" adhesions have blocked the passageway so i will have to have an operation to try to remove them. She said that they would put packing inside for 24hours, i have no idea what the operation is called??

Has anyone else had this opertion? Can anyone give some information about it?

I feel really fed up, she couldn't even give me the "all clear" because she couldn't examine me properly.

The thought of a general anaesthetic is awful!

Many thanks for listening.

Rosemary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi Rosemary:

Haven't had that experience and I'm sorry to hear that you are. Just wanted to send some hugs and prayers your way.

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly with more info for you.
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Vaginal adhesions

I had never been under general anestitic before my internal exam where by DR.s biopsied everything unknown to man.....thank God all was negative, but I wanted to tell ya that it isn't as bad as it sounds.

I went in and the anestesioligist prepped me with a nice lil "margarita...or 10....and the staff later wheeled me into the OR....next thing I knew I was raisin' holy h*** because my DR was STILL making me wait as I was already on a long delay for surgery.....they just told me "hon you're in recovery now...it's over".... LOL!!!

Seriously...they will take care of you and have you..... well let's just say......They'll have you feeling 100 foot tall and nuclear war proof BEFORE they even wheel you in there!! LOL!!!

They gave me versed and I was LOVIN' IT!!!

I wish ya well on gettin' your "virginia" back!!!

Those internal rads can be a real boogar on the down low!! UGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi Rosemary,
I just wanted to let you know that after my radiation the Dr. couldn't even fit the xs spectulum (SP?) inside of me for exam. She made me promise to use vaginal dilators 3x per day. That was months ago. I haven't been as good as should about using them daily. Then, my gyn/onc warned me just last month the importance of using them. Maybe that will be an option for you. It is a pain.......I agree! You'll be in my thoughts. Take care. Tamara
Unread 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi Ladies

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't been using the dilators because it was soooo painful each time i used them. Sex is a no no too because that is also painful. Every time i use the dilators they make me bleed even though i use lots of lubrication etc.

I have lost my libido completely, which is a huge disappointment. Can any of you ladies let me know if this has happened to you?

Thanks again for your replies and stories.

Rosemary
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Vaginal adhesions

Oh Rosemary - I'm so sorry you're having these difficulties. I don't know anything about the surgery you're referring to. I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything. How awful for you. I'm glad something can be done, though.

Intercourse is too painful for me also. I had the desire, but the pain is just too great. Now, just thinking about the pain squashes any desire that pops up. I am planning to go to a physical therapist who specializes in women's issues and pelvic floor dysfunction, which might help. If it does, I'll PM you. Losing the sexual part of a good marriage is just so sad, so I'm going to keep trying to find an answer. If you find any answers, please share them with me also.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it's 100% successful for you!!! S!
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
adhesions

My doctor had given me a jelly type of anesthetic (?sp) to use when I used the dilator. It took the sting out of using the dilator. I think the bleeding is just the scar tissue breaking up. I had my surgery in 1999 and still have bleeding sometimes. I don't think he actually called it surgery. The doctor had put me under general anesthesia to break up the scar tissue. You might ask about the jelly to make it a little more comfortable.
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi

Thanks for the replies. It's sooo nice to hear from you ladies who understand what i am talking about.

Ann i'm very sorry to hear that you have also lost your sexual desire because of the pain, i hope you find an answer with the physical therapy, it's a huge part of your life to lose isn't it. Rusti's suggestion of anaesthetic jelly sounds like a good idea, i will try that when i have had the operation if i can get a doctor to prescribe it. It sounds like it might help you too Ann?

Once again it's great to have the support of you ladies through this experience.

Rosemary
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi Rosemary - My rad/onc gave me a gel that she uses on women who have had radiation when she does internal exams because it deadens the area. I've always stayed away from using chemicals on my body -- moreso now that I've had cancer. However, I did try using it, but it didn't work for me. The pain is not just at the entrance. My vagina is quite short now and any bumping against the vaginal cuff is painful also.

Through my insurance, I have access to a nurse who is an advocate for any cancer-related problems I'm having. Yesterday, I received from her some more information about the use of dilators. I was surprised to read that many women (up to 20%) who have had radiotherapy for a gyno cancer never have a sex life again (based on a study completed by two gyn/onc nurses last year) because of the pain. I also read that vaginal changes develop over time - up to five years post-radiation treatment. Therefore, the use of the dilator or regular intercourse is essential for the health of the vagina (and the marriage, in some cases!)

The guidelines from the National Forum of Gyn/Onc Nurses in England includes using the dilator three times per week for 10-15 minutes each time; they suggest inserting it and gently moving it back and forth and from side to side while doing pelvic floor exercises (like Kegel but there might be other ones). For you, after you have been opened up again, they would suggest beginning with the smallest dilator and moving up to the largest (size 4). (The guidelines also suggest using a vibrator at the same time)

At any rate, I don't want to be one of the 20%, so I'll keep trying. I suspect that some women have tougher vaginal tissue than we do and can get away with not using the dilator. We may have to use it the rest of our lives. I've only been using the dilator once a week and wasn't doing any exercises with it, so I'm going to follow the guidelines while I wait to see the physical therapist who may be able to give me some more exercises. I'll let you know what I find out.

Best to you - Pat
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Vaginal adhesions

Hi Pat

Good for you! Do the dilating and exercises as much as you can and you won't end up in the same situation as me. Let me know how you get on. If my post has helped you to resolve your problems with the dilators then it has been of some help and i am very glad to hear that.

I have to say the pain i get is the same as yours, it's the vaginal cuff that is so painful and makes sex unpleasureable and painful, using the dilators is painful too! They shortened my vagina too and sex feels like he is banging against the most painful part. If you know what i mean? If something hurts, we tend to not want to do it, don't we? But i think perseverence with the dilators is the answer.

I had no idea that it would close up this quickly, i am cross to think that i have to have an operation for such a "minor" problem! Cross with myself, my partner didn't want to have sex because he didn't want to hurt me. Well, i just hope the operation works, i can't imagine how painful it will be to use the dilators afterwards, but i will persevere, as you said, i don't want to end up in the 20% either!

I'm 53 so i would like to have a sex life again. I don't know about you but i don't seem to have any sexual feelings since the hysterectomy. I had a really good sex life before, i loved to dress up and have vibrators etc which i haven't been able to use since the operation. For my 50th birthday my partner took photographs of me in maids outfit with stockings, high heel thigh length boots, feather boa and whip! What has happened to me in three years????

I just hope the operation will get me back on track and renew my libido or at least my will to keep things working down there!

Very best wishes to you, and let me know how you get on.

Rosemary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register