When did you start exercising again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you start exercising again? When did you start exercising again?

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
When did you start exercising again?

How soon did you start to exercise again. Like walking on a treadmill etc??? The dr said I could when I felt up to it, but with all of my repairs I am not sure I should start until at least 2 weeks POST OP

any advice ladies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM

My Dr hasn't released me yet. I think every Dr is different. I can't wait to get back to the gym I need to work off all of the junk food I've been eating. Darn cravings!
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM

My doctor released me without restrictions 2 weeks post op. I asked if that included the treadmill, and he said yes.

I went to the fitness center 2 weeks and 3 days post op. My first workout - on the arm bike, recumbent bike and treadmill - was 30 minutes.

I was just beginning to work out before my surgery and I now think I should have started back with 15 minute workouts instead. (So does DH, who is a fitness freak.) Since then, I have returned to work half-days and have not had the energy to work out as well. I am going to try again this Friday in 15 minute spurts to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 07:10 PM

I had SAH and mini tummy tuck- was told no exercise for at least 6-8 weeks. Depends on surgery I guess... i can tell you I certainly don't FEEL like walking a treadmill yet!
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey Shellbear,

My dr. had told me one month for the gym, but I sure didn't feel like it. I walked my dog at 4 weeks and it was painful the first couple times but now at 5 weeks I feel back to normal as far as walking the neighborhood. I have my 6 week appt. next Monday, so I'm going to wait until after that to go to the gym. I plan on just doing the treadmill for awhile and then work up to the elliptical.
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM

My doc said 6 weeks. But said I could walk. So I started walking around the neighborhood as soon as I came home from the castle, working up to 45 minutes. I went to the gym anyway at about 4 weeks--treadmill--it certainly is easier on the body. Not so much pounding. Last week, I tried the bike for about 5 minutes, but it wasn't too comfortable, so nixed that idea. I am just going to continue walking, adding some incline as I can. I am doing 45 minutes only about 3 times a week, resting every other day. I feel much better when I do get the chance to get that work out. I can only echo the advice you hear from everyone--listen to your doctor and listen to your body.
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM

I had a LAVH, with removal of the cervix. I was told I'd be off work 6-8 weeks. I started out walking slowly around the track at 2 weeks out of boredom and the fact that all that sitting around was causing my legs and butt to cramp. After a week of walking in circles and on the treadmill, my sister, who is a gyno, said I could use the elliptical, but only for a about 10-15 minutes.

At my 3 week check up , my doctor told me I could use the elliptical machine and increase my time or go swimming (non-impact). By week 5, I was at the gym 5 days a week, going for an hour on the elliptical.

I was a 3 day a week gym rat and want to get back to my pre-op workout routine, but I need to clear it with my doc. I do know that I have to modify some of the weight-bearing exercises due to having my cervix removed, but so far, I've had no problem.
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM

Hey Shell, prior to surgery, I walked 4 miles a day (60 minutes) up & down some pretty serious hills. My Dr told me to start out very slow, & gradually work back up to that. I tried 8 minutes on my treadmill on the slowest setting 1.0 (I normally would set it to 4.0) on Sunday, then Monday I was super tired. I decided I should try 5 minutes maybe tomorrow. I just thought it was safer to be on my treadmill, rather than outside, that way if I get weak, I can just sit down, & not be far from home.
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM

My DaVinci LTH was four weeks ago today. My gyno had told me I could start back to exercising, including lifting (I don't do over 40 lbs. even when I am in good shape), at four weeks. I feel really good, but, I can tell that I would be hurting if I tried to do any lifting right now. I have been walking, and today I am planning to walk further than I have been, maybe a mile or so. I plan to do the same tomorrow. Friday it is supposed to rain all day, so I will either attempt the elliptical, or do an indoor walking routine that I have on tape. But I am not going to do any lifting until I return from my trip to Aruba, which will be mid May.

Everyone heals differently, the important thing is to listen to your body.
Unread 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM

thanks ladies you all ROCK Ok I have a treadmill and will maybe start that after 2 full weeks, I know my shuffle to the mail box is a bit much for me right now

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register