Dwelling on the indignity? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dwelling on the indignity? Dwelling on the indignity?

Unread 04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Dwelling on the indignity?

I am such a control freak, I dwell on the thoughts of what was done to my unconscious body during surgery.
- Catheter insertion
- trach tube insertion (which reportedly took 1 1/2 hrs to force down my throat, leaving me unable to speak or eat solids for a week)
and a dozen electrical nodes on my chest

I guess some people are shaved, some people are placed in an interesting position for surgery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM

I understand the feeling. I am modest to say the least, however, my husband has worked in surgery for years now and he says it is nothing. They don't even think about it when they are putting a catheter in, or doing the probes. Just know you will never see them again, and don't worry
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Believe me, you won't have anything these folks haven't seen before. They are professionals. They will take great care of you and then move on to the next case. For them, I think it's like looking under the hood of a car. You will get great care, that is the only important thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony5264
I understand the feeling. I am modest to say the least, however, my husband has worked in surgery for years now and he says it is nothing. They don't even think about it when they are putting a catheter in, or doing the probes. Just know you will never see them again, and don't worry
LOL, unless one is your neighbor...which happened to me. I live in a city with 2 million people in the metro area....my neighbor was my CT scan tech. It actually made me feel better as I felt he had a vested interest in my health.
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Intersting thoughts, but when the alternative is the indignity of 'surprise bleeding' and calling in to work for several days every month so EVERYONE (even the guys) know what the call-in is related to - I don't think about the OR stuff so much
Unread 04-09-2008, 03:44 AM

Tunacat - I don't think you are a control freak. I too feel like I have undergone "invasion of the body snatchers". I have been cut, pierced, poked, catheterised, canularised, had my every bodily fluid examined and discussed and had heaps of blood taken to the point that the adhesive caused me an allergic reaction. I know those undertaking this were professional and respected as best they could my need for dignity but nonetheless I feel a great sense of having lost control of my body and my personal dignity and this is not a pleasant (nor an unusual) feeling post surgery or other chronic illnesses. It has helped me to plan a few activities over a few days that will help restore my sense of body autonomy. For example in a couple of weeks when I am a bit better I am planning to have a manicure and pedicure. On another day I will get my hair done and on another I am looking forward to a wax. In the meantime, I have asked my husband not so much to rub my back but caress it as I feel I need some tlc. Hope you can find things to help restore your sense of dignity. Hang in there.

Cheers Alison
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Thank you Alison, you put into words exactly how I feel ((hugs))
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:02 AM

You're welcome Tunacat. Now go ahead and pamper the that you are! You have been through heaps but life will be beautiful again. Prayers and blessings. Alison
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:00 AM

I understand what you're saying. About 20 years ago I had emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy. I am so much of a freak about things too, that I decided I needed to go to the hospital medical records department for a copy of the Op Report (just to see). Anyway, it was interesting stuff, but one part that still sticks out to me said "unable to position patient's feet properly in stirrups", and it talked about how they had to tie my legs to leg boards. I just picture my body flopped all over the place, and them lifting my fat thighs to try to fit my feet in the stirrups. OK, I'm not hugely overweight, especially not then, but still.....

I try not to think about it, knowing that these people do so many surgeries per week, they've probably seen it all.

Also, at my TAH last week, the nurse shaved me in the pre op area while I was still awake. I was pretty "cleaned up" already, but she took a pair of clippers and went across the top where the incision line is.

And oh yes, after surgery I had suppositories for gas a few times in the room by the nurses. The last one lifted my butt cheek to put it in, and I, ummm..."passed gas" on her. OMG!!
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:29 AM

Thank goodness for this site, where we can say anything!
Sister JB, I was reading my OLD medical records (which were piled up next to my gurney) while I was in the waiting area prior to surgery!
I, too, would be dwelling on the stirrups thing if that were me...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register