Severe pain during sex ~ 6 months post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe pain during sex ~ 6 months post-op Severe pain during sex ~ 6 months post-op

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Severe pain during sex ~ 6 months post-op

I had my full hysterectomy on Oct 9, 2007, since I had everything removed I thought that everything would be so much better now, because before I was in tremendous pain all the time. I am having severe pain during sex, I thought all this would go away but at times it is still there. Does anyone else experience this or might know what it might be?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Mechele,

I'm sorry you're having pain. Have you talked to your doctor? There are different things that can cause pain with intercourse after a hysterectomy and you aren't alone. You might find the HysterSisters article, Pain During Intercourse - Post Hysterectomy a helpful place to start in your research. I encourage you to seeand/or talk to your doctor as he/she is the only way to find out for sure what is going on.

s, Deb
Unread 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Re:Severe pain during sex~6 months post-op

Hello,
I had my total on oct 22,2007. I'm just now able to relax enough to enjoy sex. I developed a very bad vaginal inflammation right after my surgery. I was diagnosed after many trips to doctors, er's and I lost count of how many pills. Vulvar vestibulitis is what I had. The outside part of your vagina becomes very inflammed and causes a lot of pain when trying to have sex or even pee. After six months I have pretty much got it gone. It is still red, but I am not in pain. What worked for me was to quit wearing blue jeans and the right medications. I had days where pain medications wouldn't even touch it. Ask your doctor about this vulvar condition. I am taking estrogen vagifem and vivelle dot patch and medications neurontin and elavil. I have read where many women have this and it can last for months or even years. Hope this helps. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

I had my surgery in December 2007...I had my last follow up with the Dr. Monday and I am still hurting from the speculum! I called their office today and they told me to take Motrin and that everyone heals differently...the thing is, since the surgery (I also had rectocele), my vagina is completely different...much narrower...and so sensitive...I tried to have sex and it was excruciating, so I'm petrified to try again. The nurse said the only thing that will make it better is time and that the more I have sex the better it will get...I don't buy it. I'm 41 and I'm not ready to give up this part of my life...I'm also sick of being so concious of my genitalia...I know I had prolapse problems, and endo, and severe back pain, and a lot of reasons for the surgery...but I don't know that sacrificing sex was worth it. I can't stop crying.
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Re:Severe pain during sex~6 months post-op

Hello Mollief
I feel the same way. I had laproscopic w/vaginal surgery. After my surgery it seemed like my vagina area was different. One of the many doctors I went to,prescribed lidocaine jelly. It helps with the pain by numbing the area. You can use that before sex and it will help. I also was told the more you try the better it gets. Something to do with the more the vagina is stretched the better it can heal. I wished I was told more about the problems after surgery. I never had more problems before than I did after. I spent more money on doctors and pills after my surgery than I have my entire life. But things are getting so much better now. I guess it really does take time. It doesn't seem that way when you are in so much pain and all you can do is cry and pray it goes away. Hope this helps. Get better soon.
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:01 PM

mollief...buy it (or at least try it)...it worked for me. It was pretty uncomfortable the first several times.....and that's what I did....did it to get it over with. And over time it did get better. I am 6 months post-op now, and started intercourse again after 6 weeks, 2-3 times a week. Within the last month, everything seems to have stretched back out for the most part. I also had a/p repairs with my lavh, so I understand your pain (literally!). It was very "snug" (as my dr put it) for quite a while. He said it would stretch back out, and it did.

I had surgery on my wrist 8 weeks ago, and am still undergoing physical therapy for that. I guess sex is like p/t for the vagina! It has to get "loosened back up". After the trouble I've had with my wrist scar, the pain from sex made a lot more sense!

Good luck!
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:26 AM

teecher...was it painful inside as well? it seems like one area is really uncomfortable...the "tightness" is an issue because it made it too difficult for my husband...
We are about to be separated (not just because of this issue, although it hasn't at all helped)...
That makes it nearly impossible for me to use it, if you know what I mean...it's depressing...thanks for your words of encouragement, though. I was just so totally unprepared for there to be scarring or anything like that in the actual vaginal wll, that I guess I can't get past it. I wish I had known presurgery what was going to happen...all this is a shock ontop of the hormones and stress of my marriage ending.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register