having a hard time 2 weeks post op.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having a hard time 2 weeks post op.. having a hard time 2 weeks post op..

Unread 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
having a hard time 2 weeks post op..

I was 2 weeks post op yesterday. I had my uterus taken but they left my ovaries and cervix. Afterhaving 3 kids, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that I am not healed after two weeks. I feel ok, and Iam not bleeding (of course) It is so different from haing kids. Does anyone understand what I mean? My dh went back to work this monday and my oldest son is home on spring break, so I wake up ready to go and tend to them and about lunch time I am so weak I feel like I can barely stand. It is really flusterating, because everyone is seeing me up walking around and say its been 2 weeks she is fine, but I still get tired. After 3 days of trying to be back to normal, i am running a low grade fever, and have a yellowish disharge. I called the doc, but havent got acall back. Can anyone relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Whoa, girl! You need to realize that your body is in crises because it has been traumatized- you have lost an organ and have had ligaments inside you cut and re-stitched to support the remaining organs... all kinds of major healing is going on and WILL BE for a long time!
Sadly, kids & husbands think we should be "all healed" after a couple of weeks but the healing process takes much longer than that.
Give yourself some time ; )
Unread 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM

I am 4 months post op. I had to learn that my body was more important. Slow down because you do not want a relapse. My doctor told me that your body will tell you when you need to slow down or stop. Please listen to it. Rest is very very important. I still have to slow down even now. I was told it will take a year before you feel 100% again. I believe it. Take Care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM

I completely understand how you are feeling sweetie. I myself have 2 kids and had c-sections with both of them. I feel like I'm in slow motion recovery after my TAH. It will get better hon. I know it's hard, but we have to try to be patient with our bodies. We had our surgery on the same day so we are pretty much right on at this point. Please feel free to message me anytime if you'd like to talk further.

Wishing you all the best.
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:25 PM

I am almost 5 weeks post op and just beginning to feel better. still a little sore but always tired! Take it easy healing comes slowly!
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM

I am 8.5 weeks post-op and the other day I was feeling great and started lifting things at work. No trouble. Thought, YEA I am ready to be normal again. Wrong. About 10am that day all of the sudden there was a lot of pain in the inside of the tummy and I felt sick and just wanted to cry. Went home and slept and put ice pack on. The next day only worked a few hours and went home, no lifting. This really sucks, just when you think that you are over the hump you are smacked down again.
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Are you off your pain meds? They are great BUT they tend to make us think we feel better than we actually do. If you're not off them....stop for a day or two. Listen to your body when it's not under the influence.
I found it helpful to MAKE my family understand what my innards went through....and it may do you good, too. It may be a bit graphic....but sometimes a slap in the face is a good thing. Look under the "Resources" tab at the top of this page. You'll be able to find a link to see the procedure actually performed. Just because you look great on the outside......gives no indication what's going on inside.
It takes a lot of energy for the body to heal itself......if you spend your energy doing things that can wait or someone else can do, you're short changing yourself. And you deserve better!!!!!
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:41 AM

Hi Mountain Dew. Your post told me how lucky I was to have had the time reading the forums before I had my surgery so I knew what to expect. Take a step back, read the stuff on this site and understand you are not alone and your experience is really normal for only this far post surgery. The repeated message I got from the site was you only have 1 chance to recover well. I actually got scared for you reading your post as it sounded like you were on a fast train for a big fat relapse and that will only make you more frustrated. Take time to smell the roses your body has been through a major deal. My surgeon told me that with this surgery, in spite of mine having been laparoscopically assisted there were literally hundreds of potential cut surfaces that need to heal and any one of them if they become infected or bacteria decided to set up shop can make your life and your recovery very difficult. I am a really busy person normally and hate to feel like my time is unproductive but if you think of it as being totally productive for your long term health and ability to care for your family you will have an easier time of things.
Please take care of yourself. Your care for yourself now, regardless of whether those around you understand, will make a huge difference in your ability to care for others over next few months. Wishing you a happy and uneventful recovery.

Cheers Alison
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:47 AM

thank you for all the advice. It's good to know I am not crazy. I have been off my pain meds for about 4 days. I have them on hand for if I do too much. I posted another thread asking for links. My computer is too slow for the video. to be honest, I have no idea what they did to my body. It's dumb of me to wait until after the fact, but maybe I'll get some answers on Fri, thats my next appt.
Unread 04-11-2008, 01:16 PM

If you could see what they did during your procedure, and, maybe more importantly, if your family could see it.... they would completely understand why/how you cannot be completely recovered yet. You do only get one chance to heal correctly. Just think... six weeks for a thorough recovery will let you have a fulfilling life/activity level... six weeks... it isn't as long as it might seem. I find that if I look at each day, it drags on and on and on, but when I look back and realize it has already been three weeks for me....phew!!!! How time has flown! Hang in there... take it slllloooowwww...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register