8 weeks and not feeling well - Need Advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 weeks and not feeling well - Need Advice 8 weeks and not feeling well - Need Advice

Unread 04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
8 weeks and not feeling well - Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snajschro
Zirconia, I so-o-o connect with you. I too was totally SHOCKED at how long recovery REALLY took. I innocently believed the doctor when he said 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately, his idea of recovered and my idea were two totally different things. I also got depressed and very discouraged...it was one of the hardest times of my life.

HOWEVER, it did get better. And then, 13 months later, it was REALLY better. I don't know what your time frame will be, but I urge you to be patient and kind to yourself. There will be a day, I PROMISE, where you won't believe how great you feel and how wonderful life is...you just don't know when, because everyone's "when" is different. So, don't fight it...work with it...rest when you need to, take care of yourself emotionally and physically, and know that there WILL be a day when you will be writing words of encouragement to someone who is frustrated beyond words because they are not healing as fast as they thought they would!!!

Take care!
Thanks for the enouragement. I do feel this is the hardest time I have experienced in my life so far. I am seeing a therapist but I think I will need some medication as the depression seems to be getting the best of me. I will discuss this with her this week. Lots of hormonal changes when you go through surgical menopause. Wish it was a bit easier.

Thanks again - Be Well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Jane,
For me, I didn't turn the corner until 7 weeks. At six weeks, I did not know how I would be able to work and I was still taking OTC painkillers at times. Be assured it does get better. We are all so different, some can be back to "normal" at three weeks, some six and others three months. I still know I am healing inside so I am fine with the six months - just taking one day at a time!!
Hugs to you!
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM

MonLee Hystersister.

Thanks for the reply. Our surgeries were only 6 days apart!! I am definately taking one day at a time and hoping soon to turn that corner. The pain seems to be improving but I am still taking OTC drugs everyday. Emotionally has been difficult with the surgical menopause and other factors.

Hope you continue to recover well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM

I totally hear you on this too, I am 9 wks out, from TAH BSO, I too CAN NOT sleep for nothing, my back also hurts alot, so your definatly not alone on this. I still feel pain in my abdomin (down there) and wonder I thought that was suppose to go away, but I'm told it will in time so just hand in there and keep charging.
Unread 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM

I am so happy I found this question. I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. I thought I would be back to normal within the 6-8 week period the doctor told me. I still have the numbness in the belly area, twinges throughout my abdomen and abdomen/pelvic pressure, especially when urinating. It looks as if my pelvic area is still swollen. I saw my doctor last week for my final check up. I told him about the pelvic pressure and we did an IVP (x-ray exam for urinary tract). I was concerned because I had a urinary tract infection post op. Also the urologist had a hard time inserting the stent into the right ureter during my hysterectomy. I had a CAT Scan while I was in the hospital as well. Everything was normal. He released me from his care and told me to follow up with my regular gynecologist. I haven't seen her since July when I started with my problems and she sent me to the gynecological oncologist (only group that did Da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy). I am supposed to return to work on Monday and am concerned about how well I am going to perform my duties (I am an x-ray tech and do a lot of lifting, pulling and pushing). I know my employers will expect me to be at 100% but I don't feel at 50% yet. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced these same symptoms? How long will I feel this way? Any help or advice anyone can give would be appreciated.
Unread 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Hi Debbie. We had different procedures but a hysterectomy is major surgery. I can relate to your feelings as I am still feeling the same at 8 1/2 weeks post op. They say that you can have "swelly belly" for quite a while, especially towards the end of the day, after you have been on your feet, etc. I still have abdominal pain and use OTC pain killers everyday. From what I have read on this wonderful site and heard from others, I would not recommend any heavy lifting, or pulling. You should explain to your employer that you may need to reduce your normal activities as far as work is concerned. You are still healing internally and will be for quite a while. I would think that heaving lifting would put a strain on your stomach and could be a bit dangerous. It seems that 6 months is the time that it takes to feel really good and 1 year to be completely healed. I too was not aware of this time frame and started to really think something was wrong with me when 4 weeks went by and I still felt awful. Everyone heals at a different rate - some of us take longer than others. I feel I am a slow healer and still have a long way to go - it gets me very depressed and upset. I went into surgical menopause because I lost everything, with both ovaries gone I lost most of my estrogen. It has been very difficult. I am taking estrogen now but still having terrible trouble sleeping, etc. I have had to take Ambien in order to just get 4 hours of shut eye each night. I wish you well - wish you lived a bit closer so we could commiserate!!! Please feel free to email me back and let me know how you are feeling. Remember, they all say that you have only one chance to heal correctly, so do not do more than you feel comfortable with.

Hope to hear from you again.

Best of Luck,
Unread 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Jane-thanks for your quick response. I wish the doctors would tell us more of what to expect. I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago laparoscopically. When he told me about the DaVinci and how he was going to try to use a couple of the old scars from the gb surgery I thought how bad could this be. I'll be back to normal in no time. When my gb was removed, it was removed on a Tuesday and I was driving on Friday. I have also had problems sleeping, but did before since I had already gone through menopause and my gyn told me it's part of middle age. I too wish we lived closer since it seems we are very much alike. Keep me posted on how you are doing as well. Take care of yourself. Debbie
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Dear Sister Zirconia,
After 7 1/2 weeks I am totatally in tune with how you are feeling. Had to make a 2nd visit with my Dr. today. I intermittenly bleed and was upset when it happened since I had a total hysterectomy on 2/22. The Dr. told me I was slow in healing and he had to use silver nitrate because I wasn't clotting. He also gave me a patch because I have an overactive bladder since the surgery. Still no sex since I have not healed. Wanted to put me back out of work for another 2 weeks. I am not a happy camper. Also may have a urinary tract infection so I was tested for that. No one said it was going to be easy. Just glad there is no cancer.

Da Vinchi was the hysterectomy I had. I had 5 incisions on my abdomen which are still bothering me. Dr. said they are like stab wounds. Just take it easy and I'm sure things will get better.
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Dear 29 Sam
I am greatful for your response - I wish you were feeling better but I definately can relate - this has been so much harder than I expected. Why don't the doctor's tell you how it really is going to be??? I thought I had a UTI twice but both tests came back negative. I guess it was just the pressure on the bladder from the surgery. I have not had any bleeding problems but the pain in the abdomen continunes everyday. Somedays are worse than others. I think I have forgotten what it feels like to be pain free!!!!!! I also had a cancer scare but everything came back negative from pathology. I had a TAH/BSO so I have nothing left (ha ha!). Sex, what is that again?? Haven't even thought about it and DH has not mentioned it - he is a patient man!!! Tomorrow is our anniversary - I had hoped to be much better at this point in time but I guess I will have to hang on.

Be Well.
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM

I can definately relate also ! I am a little over 9 weeks post-op. A week ago I lifted too much and too heavy at work and I feel like I tore things up inside. Finally today I am starting to feel a little better, but I just can't seem to take enough OTC meds to help. Now I am so aware that when I start to feel better that I still should not do much. This has been the hardest thing about this recovery. I am really glad that we have this site and that I am not the only one who is still in pain. Bye

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register