Vaginal Cuff ??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Cuff ??? Vaginal Cuff ???

Unread 04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

Hi Everyone

I also asked this question from my Dr yesterday at my 6 week check up.

It was high on my list of questions - YES I had a list and he laughed.

I had a LAVH on Feb 27th - he explained that when they take the uterous that the cervix is the bottom part of the uterous and is removed together.

The uterus and cervix are held in place by 2 ligaments on either side and these are sewn together to form the top of the vaginal vault. (Vaginal Cuff). He drew a picture so that I would get the drift of what had happened.

Good thing is we never need another PAP smear. Yeh!!

Like most of you I never knew that they also took the cervix, but hey it is so.

Mine still has the stitches in apparently and he advised not to attempt SEX for at least another 2 weeks and then to take it easy and be in control so that if it hurts I can stop.

I might just go to Utube and have a look YIPES!!!

Hope this helps

Kezza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

Hi Everyone

I also asked this question from my Dr yesterday at my 6 week check up.

It was high on my list of questions - YES I had a list and he laughed.

I had a LAVH on Feb 27th - he explained that when they take the uterous that the cervix is the bottom part of the uterous and is removed together.

The uterus and cervix are held in place by 2 ligaments on either side and these are sewn together to form the top of the vaginal vault. (Vaginal Cuff). He drew a picture so that I would get the drift of what had happened.

Good thing is we never need another PAP smear. Yeh!!

Like most of you I never knew that they also took the cervix, but hey it is so.

Mine still has the stitches in apparently and he advised not to attempt SEX for at least another 2 weeks and then to take it easy and be in control so that if it hurts I can stop.

I might just go to Utube and have a look YIPES!!!

Hope this helps

Kezza
Unread 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

I am nearly five weeks post, thank God, and have had some spotting. Also, what I suspect might be my vaginal cuff is very sore these last couple days. I am wondering about an infection. Has anyone had an infection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

I have heard that even that you don't have a cervix you still need paps especially if like in my case I had CIS. The top of the vagina has some similiar cell structure as the cervix and need to be checked for vaginal cancer. I will be asking my doc too at my final checkup in a couple weeks.

Anyone else have some info on that?
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

I am going in next Thursday for my 3 month check and I will have a pap on the vaginal cuff and a biopsy, that is what I was told when they called to schedule the appointment. They are going to check all the healing and then I get to do it again in another 3 months. I just think that everyone's doctor is different and that is why there are so many differences to what we go through and how our recovery is. Good luck all!!
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

If you have a vaginal hysterectomy and your cervix is maintained, they make an incision in the wall of your vagina to remove your uterus and anything else that comes out. So they visualize the surgery via laparascope and remove the organs thru the incision. You still need to have PAP smears to check for changes in the cells of the cervix.

As we all know, the cervix lies at the top of the vagina and is the barrier between the uterus and the outside world. If your cervix is removed then there is nothing between your abdominal cavity and the outside world, so it is sewn shut and attached to the ligaments that support the uterus. The ligaments are already attached on the other end to the pelvis. So these ligaments support the vagina and hold it into place so it doesn't prolapse. The top part that is sewn shut is known as the vaginal cuff. My physician/surgeon said that while I still need annual exams, I do not need annual PAP smears, only every 2-5 years (since there could be some cervical cells still in place at thetoop of the vagina).

This info could be more helpful if you access some anatomical figures of the female reproductive system.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunned7
I am nearly five weeks post, thank God, and have had some spotting. Also, what I suspect might be my vaginal cuff is very sore these last couple days. I am wondering about an infection. Has anyone had an infection?
I have a vaginal cuff infection. I have lots and lots of discharge I have to wear a pad and change it during the day. I had a fever and didn't feel good. My vagina really hurts too. I was also getting cramps. My Dr did an exam-kind of hurt I was 3 weeks post op then. My Dr put me on antibiotics and I'm feeling so much better!
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler76
I have heard that even that you don't have a cervix you still need paps especially if like in my case I had CIS. The top of the vagina has some similiar cell structure as the cervix and need to be checked for vaginal cancer. I will be asking my doc too at my final checkup in a couple weeks.

Anyone else have some info on that?

My Dr also told me that I will have to have yearly exams not paps because there are tissues at the top of the vagina that can get deceased.
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Vaginal Cuff ???

I do not have anything they took it all and I am having a biopsy and an exam every 3 months for 2 years and then every 6 for 3 more. It all depends on you doctor or how they like to do things. I am going in for my 1st check up next Thursday. Everyone is different has a different problem and a different doctor and all doctors do things different my doctor is rated at the top of his profession he is a GYN/Surgeon/Oncologist who specializes in female cancers and female disorders and problems. This is a great place of information however we can only share our experiences and what has been told to us because as we all can see there is many fluctuations and many different ways we are all cared for. I have learned so much here on this site and it has helped me ask the questions I need for me. This is such a scary time for many of us that are here for cancer reasons as well as trying to just find out what is wrong. All I can say is take it in and get ????? together and talk to your doctor you will see each and every doctor does and says things different and that does not mean they are wrong or right it is just how it is. Good luck all!! I just spoke with a doctor here at my work and he said that if someone was treated for CANCER then they will be watched more frequently then someone with fibroids or cysts or another problem not related to CANCER, or Dysplasia or another pre-cancerous condition. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Vaginal cuff explained

Dear Young;

Okay, this is the way I understand it. The cervix is actually the bottom section of the uterus, and extends a little bit into the vagina.

There are different surgeries. One, TAH where they take the whole uterus (which includes the cervix) and TSH where they take the 'top' section of the uterus and leave the cervix intact. When they do a TAH, if they didn't sew up the end of the vagina, it would just be a tube with no end - literally an open channel into the abdominal cavity - a pathway for infection and all around dangerous situation. So they gather the end up and sew it together. That gathered up end is termed the vaginal cuff. (this surg is through abdominal incision)

In the TSH surgery, the cervix is still intact, attached to the upper end of the vagina, so there would be no vaginal cuff. (The end of the cervix itself would be sewn closed.) (This surgery is through abdominal incision)

The TVH surgery is total vaginal hysterectomy. It is done through the vagina, and of course they have to go through the cervix to get to the uterus, so the cervix is removed.

Does that help?
I encourage you to read the Hysterectomy Options Section of the site. Invaluable information there!! And it is probably explained waay better than I can. I am just trying to help you here. Definitions can be found in the "Quick Links" section.

Keep asking questions, you're on the right track to figure out what is best for you.

All the best
Laurel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register