Restored energy and quality of life after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Restored energy and quality of life after surgery? Restored energy and quality of life after surgery?

Unread 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Restored energy and quality of life after surgery?

As I lay here in pain recovering from my TAH last week, I keep reminding myself of all the reasons why I had it done. As a matter of fact, I saw my doctor yesterday who reviewed my path report with me and she said I had about 4 things going on, any one of which on its own would have been a good justification for surgery..

So, my question is - before surgery I lived with fibroids for years, that got really bad over the past year or two. I'm talking about having to wear Depends instead of pads, gushing blood, pain, etc. I was also anemic from it. I got to the point where I was just exhausted all the time. The quality of my life was not good at all. I'm hoping to hear from some Sisters who had some of the same pre surgical problems that feel their hysterectomy improved their life and restored their energy.

Thanks

Oh yes, the path report showed I had multiple submucosal fibroids (supposedly the ones that cause the most bleeding problems), 15 week size uterus, adenomyosis, endo, and complex endometrial hyperplasia.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM

I had fibroids, adenomyosis, endometrial hyperplasia, a 14 week size uterus, and a period that lasted from August to March except for a total of 3 weeks off. I also had multlple large complex cysts on my ovaries. I only had my TAH-BSO a little over 5 weeks ago, but it is already worth it. My anemia has resolved. Pain I had blamed on a bad back is now 1/10 of what it was. By 2 weeks after my surgery I was in less pain than I was before surgery. I am no longer taking any prescription pain medicine, and only take ibuprofen once every couple of days. Before the procedure I was taking it multiple times every day. I still tire easily, but as I said I only had the surgery a little over 5 weeks ago, so I think that is to be expected. Good luck. You are in my prayers.
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:50 PM

I had major fibroids and adhesions and the first day after my tah I felt like a new person. I was walking the halls and could tell the pain and pressure I ahd felt for the past 7 years was gone. I also instantly lost 10 pounds from the size of the fibroids. I can't wait to start exercising and see how much less pain I had. I am so glad I had the surgery done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm 7 weeks post op and feel better than I have in YEARS. I had two hugh fibroids, bunches and bunches of small fibroids, and stage iv endo throughout my pelvis.

My quality of life is WONDERFUL now. I was going through a super overnight pad PLUS a super plus tampon in a couple of hours pre-op. I was bleeding or spotting 20 out of every 30 days, with no regularity so I never knew when "my visitor" would appear.

Now:
1. I can wear anything I want anytime I want without worrying about ruining it !
2. The throw blankets that covered my favorite spot on the sofa and my favorite chair are now gone .... no more "just in case" worries about runing my furniture or embarrassing stains
3. I can go without panties if I choose ! I haven't worn panties under my PJs in two weeks now - the last time I did that I was 12
4. I can go in the pool or take a bath every single day. If I want to go to the beach I don't have to worry about attracting sharks
5. My lower back pain is GONE ! I used to get a backache after just 30 minutes of sitting -- not anymore
6. I feel "free" inside ... its hard to explain. I never realized how the endo "felt" (because I didn't know I had it and it crept up slowly) but now that its gone I feel "light" inside .... even tho I'm 10 lbs heavier (horrible diet during recovery - anything chocolate didn't last very long around me !)
7. No more mad dashes to the bathroom to "pass a clot" (OMG - when I think back on it it makes me a little sick to my stomach now).
8. Instead my bladder holding out for 60 - 90 minutes I can now go 3 - 4 hours if I have to before I need to urinate. No more interrupted plays, concerts or movies !

And that's just the start .... I feel SO much better. The first three weeks were rough (the first week was by far the worst) but the memories of those bad days are very quickly fading. I'm reveling in my new life ! you will also ... and it'll be here before you know it !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register