reading my surgical report - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

reading my surgical report reading my surgical report

Unread 04-11-2008, 04:30 AM
reading my surgical report

P.S. I think I developed a rapport with a gal at my doctor's office, which would probably copy my records the doctor received without going through a lot of red tape like you would at the hospital. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
ask doc for copy

I just asked my doc for a copy.I actually ask all of them all the time.I find out all kinds of things,most interesting is what one doc says to another about you.I think they have to give these things if you ask.I smile and say please and have always gotten my copies even if I have to put up with attitude and go back twice.
Unread 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM

I just called to see if my copies were ready to be picked up. (I signed the form at my appointment Wednesday.)

The "lovely" person in medical records said she didn't have my form or chart. She went to look for it and said they're still waiting on the doctor to sign off that it's ok to give me copies. Well, I argued with her that I am entitled to those records no matter what the doctor says. She said that the doctor owns the records and that it is their policy to have him sign off on it. And then she said it would be $25 for the copies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Wow, I wonder what the charge would have been if you hadn't gotten upset with her...
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:54 AM

I know that you do have the right to any doc. medical or others. Keep calm and ask your DR. in person. good luck.
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM

I looked it up in Texas law. The doctor "owns" the actual piece of paper (or other format) that the information is on. But I "own" the information. I am entitled to review my records and to have copies made. They are allowed to charge a "reasonable" fee for the administrative costs for making the copies. A "reasonable" fee is defined as no more than $25 for the 1st 20 pages and then $0.50 per page after that.

And the "lovely" person at my doctor's office said that they charge the $25 if receiving more than 6 pages.

So you see, my "attitude" or being upset with her had NOTHING to do with the fees. However, being upset about it did encourage her to work faster because she called back and said it would be ready Monday morning.
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Michelle,
I work for a Dr. in Florida...we charge an "administrative fee" of $25.00 plus $1.00 per page for the first 25 pages then a quarter for each additional page. This is what Drs are allowed to charge here.
However.....we never charge our patients for copies of their own records, unless they want a huge amount of records, like their entire chart. If they just want a report or labs or a few notes, we do not charge as a courtesy to them. They pay enough already.
Oh yeah, we also have the Dr. sign all releases ...our policy also...before records go out...he ok's all of them, he just likes to know what is going out and why, mainly to keep track if pts leave the practice and why.
It's a shame your Dr's office charges the patients for copies...I'm sure you are paying them plenty of money already for your procedures !!!
I wonder if your hospital charges less...maybe you can call their records dept and get your copies from them, maybe it will be cheaper. Best of Luck!!
Unread 04-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Sserri04 Please let me know what happens monday.I wonder if you will get them and what you think.Good luck
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM

I'd really like to see mine, too, although it was 4 months ago! Is that too long ago to ask about? Actually, although the whole process was 98% positive (great dr, nurses, etc.) I am a little frustrated that at both post-op appt's I asked about the path report (just curious.....no "signs" of cancer, just wanna know what they found!), and both times was told the records had not come back yet. The 2nd time was at 6 weeks.......

My dr is SO very busy, I hate to be a pest, but I am curious.
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM

NO it is not too late.The reports will really interest you.The receptionist needs to copy it, it is your right.Try the hospital.Good luck let me know if you get it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register