When you went off the stronger pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When you went off the stronger pain meds? When you went off the stronger pain meds?

Unread 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM
When you went off the stronger pain meds?

What did you switch to???

Tylenol? Ibuprofen? Advil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 05:40 PM

My dr said to take 3 advil 3 tylenol every 6 hrs...(I am still getting morphine every 3 when needed though)
but when I am off morphine he said to continue the tylenol advil every 6 hrs routine.
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM

I switched to ibuprofen after 2 days at home. I did not tolerate the narcotics well and the ibuprofen handled my pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 07:20 PM

I was on continuous oxycontin and percocet for the first two weeks....then I started weaning off of the oxycontin first down to a Percocet as needed during the third week. I think I only took 1-2 the third week. I'm not in week 4 and only taking 800 mg. ibuprofen as needed. I went without anything for about 4 days until my doc took out about 10 stitches yesterday. Today I was on continuous 800 mg. ibuprofen. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Please note that most of my pain has been from the sphincteroplasty & AP repair, not from the TVH itself.
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseS
I was on continuous oxycontin and percocet for the first two weeks....then I started weaning off of the oxycontin first down to a Percocet as needed during the third week. I think I only took 1-2 the third week. I'm not in week 4 and only taking 800 mg. ibuprofen as needed. I went without anything for about 4 days until my doc took out about 10 stitches yesterday. Today I was on continuous 800 mg. ibuprofen. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Please note that most of my pain has been from the sphincteroplasty & AP repair, not from the TVH itself.
yes I feel more pain from my A and P repair then the TVH for sure.
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM

I stopped the vicodin three days after surgery because it made me very constipated and I was able to handle the pain with ibuprofin. My prescription says I can take 3 ibuprofin per day - they are 600 mg each. When I went back for my post-op, the doctor said I can take tylenol in between the ibuprofin if I want, but tylenol doesn't seem to do much for me.
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

I am 4 days post op and I haven't been able to go off the strong stuff yet. I was given oxycontin when I went home from the hospital but to be honest it was making me dizzy and sick. I called the doctor and he switched me to vicodin, so far so good. They also sent me home with Ibuprofen 800, but my cramps have been bad enough that I am sticking with the strong stuff.
gajen
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey Shell - I took the vicodin for the first 10 days after surgery. I did try to ween off of it. Even with the "weening" I got really REALLY crabby the first two days I was off of it completely.

I am now taking OTC tylenol or advil when I feel really crampy or uncomfortable, which has been basically the last two days.
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM

I took perocet the first week then switched to vicoden second week. This entire time I've taken 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours my Dr said to keep taking it until my 6 week appointment. Today is 4 weeks for me and I take a vicoden as needed at night. I haven't taken one for the last couple days. Depends on what I do during the day will determine if I need one at night.
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I am 16 days since surgery and down to 400mg of Ibruprofen about every 12 hours now and it seems to be enough to handle the pain so long as I rest a lot. I am ok with this as because it is an anti-inflammatory it has also helped calm my back and neck down which seemed to have become inflamed while I was so sick and not able to do my usual walking and neck exercises to help them. I am also taking Pariet though to prevent gastrointestinal problems arising from the Ibruprofen as I have had problems before with severe stomach problems when on Ibruprofen for more than a couple of days.

I tried to get off the codeine as soon as possible because I know that group of drugs is notorious for nightmares and constipation but was on codeine with ibruprofen and 1000mg of paracetamol regularly right up to day 10. I cut out the paracetamol (which didn't do anything for pain but get my temperature regulated from the infection) a couple of days ago and so far so good.

I guess given that pre surgery I just about swallowed a pharmacist's supply of analgesics just to get through my weeks I am doing ok. Hang in there gals. Don't forget rest is as important to pain relief as the drugs.

Cheers alison

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register