eating like a pig! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

eating like a pig! eating like a pig!

Unread 04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
eating like a pig!

Yikes - sounds alot like me too ! I gained 8 lbs in the first 4 weeks post op and another 2 lbs durings weeks 5 and 6. For me I don't think it had anything at all to do with the surgery itself .... other than the fact that I was burning less calories due to inactivity while increasing my calorie consumption (too many gifts of chocolate !!! and I was eating saltine crackers like they were potato chips ! YIKES). I'm less than 5 feet tall, so those 10 lbs look like alot more on me - my stomach is HUGH, and its not swelly belly anymore - its just ME.

I went back to work this week and have found that the return to the "normal routines of life" has also returned my appetite to nearly normal. I work from home so the same temptations that existed before I went back to work are still here (I still have boxes of chocolate covered cookies and a full box of saltines) - I just don't feel like a "pampered princess" anymore so I don't see that I "deserve" the endulgences any longer. Not that I don't WANT those cookies - but its easier for me to say NO to myself - like I said, I don't feel I "deserve" the endulgence.

I don't think the weight gain is permanent. Even if metabolism does slow down, hunger should go down with it - we just need to "retrain" ourselves to want less food and to want MORE activity. here's hoping !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
eating like a pig!

Hi Laura, I live in a condo complex on an island on Boca Ciega Bay cross the bay to the west and you're in St Pete Beach. I've just been walking around the complex here. We do have a pool, so for the last week I've been taking time every afternoon to sit out by the pool! I told one of the women out there yesterday that when I have to go back to work I will at least look like I was having a good time while I was off!

As for the last 10 lbs, I'll be working on those again... once I get back to work. Until then, I'm just not disciplined enough sitting here all day by myself every day.
Unread 04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
eating like a pig!

One word as to why the constant cravings, and need to eat..."Hormones". You just had major surgery and your body has had a major shift in the way it balances the hormones in your system. Many women have had their ovaries removed, causing this problem to be even more severe. Without those hormones in balance, the way your body needs them, your body finds a way to get what it feels it is missing. Eating is one way to do that.

Since shortly after my surgery on 4/2 I slowly started falling into having cravings throughout the day. Then the cravings got worse and I swore I would have killed someone to get to the item I was craving at that moment. My body has stabilized a little bit over the past couple of days and I don't have the cravings I did prior to that, but I still have a desire to eat, but I think now it's mostly out of boredom.

I also have the DH home with be recuperating from GB surgery and he is wonderful enough to point out that I will get fat if I eat this or that. So, I get my own guilt and shame, plus the stuff he heaps on me. And, I still eat the crap. I'm nowhere near ready to start exercising, but am walking up to several miles a day, when I feel good.

How does one not eat what they are craving and what is right there in front of them? I have absolutely no idea. I have zero willpower, so I would never be the one to answer that question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
eating like a pig!

I am just the opposite. I have really lost my appetite. I am not sure why. Nothng tastes good to me. I eat because I need to eat. Strange. Before my TVH I craved salt and sweets. NowI really don't care for them. Very stange.
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM
eating like a pig!

Hey all I wonder why some women experiance this, me I have lost 25lbs since surgery and i have not had the eating thing or cravings. My menopause issues are slight and quite manageble. I have been very careful what I eat since losing the wt and I work out now and my job has me moving a lot. I really count my calories and do not exceed 1200 a day most days not even close. I do notice that I am thirsty more then I was before and I drink those flavored waters with the selzer in them (YUMMI) I also bought the special K waters they have about 50 calories but they have protein in them so they keep you feeling full. I also bought many of the 100 calorie snacks and they are pretty darn good too. I just wanted to share what I have done that has helped me lose and keep the wt off. I did ask my doctor if having your ovaries removed would make you gain or lose and he said as long as you exercise and watch you caloric intake and eat healthy which I really do then you would not gain any wt. Many of the women I talked to prior to my hysterectomy where quite thin and each one of them said they lost wt after and kept it off. I am determined to stay thin and get a bit thinner. Good luck all ( the 100 calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels is very good)
Unread 04-12-2008, 02:44 PM
eating like a pig!

My compounding pharmacist and doctor both say hormones contribute to eating and not eating. They guide our desires in that dept. Hormonal imbalances effect moods, eating, weight, sleeping, temperature, so many more things. Hang in there until you get those hormones correct. If you did not get your ovaries removed the blood supply was cut off to them and they could be "inactive" for a year to two......so you may need some hormonal help still....check out progesterone which is OTC and check out the articles to make sure you get the right kinds, there is a lot of information on this site....I am NOT an expert on this, but I just got a couple of books off of this site, which are just teaching me.......I feel like a kid in a candy store....uh oh there I go mentioning food.......
Unread 04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
eating like a pig!

Glad to hear I'm not nuts. I swear to God that I never had food cravings before - and although I enjoyed the occasional dessert, I was never really that much of a sweet eater. But throughout my recovery I've just been absolutely crazed about getting sugary treats. What is this?
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
eating like a pig!

Same here Marley......actually allergic to chocolate, and inspite of that I have been eating it......I understand.......I was the salty eater instead of the sugary eater.......and now I want sweets.........hormones.......I must say since I have leveled out........it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down.......thank goodness I am getting my life back.
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
eating like a pig!

I did not have my ovaries removed, but I was already through menopause. I wonder if this still applies? I'm going to have to look up those articles!
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
eating like a pig!

Hi Anne,
Funny you should say that you're just across the way from St. Pete's. That's where I'll be visiting soon. We're usually there in March but our daughter is in University now so we're going later this year. I can't wait for the sun and warmth. Oh, and I hate to say this but, Bob Evans' biscuits and sausage gravy!! Let me know if you have any success with those ten pounds. That's about the same I need to loose. Enjoy your pool, I'm so envious!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register