What is a vaginal cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a vaginal cuff? What is a vaginal cuff?

Unread 04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi everyone,
I had my LAVH and BSO done on April 1st. My cervix was removed since the surgery was done vaginally. I had my post op appt. today with my GYN but I didn't think to ask her if I have a "vaginal cuff". What is that? I know that she had to sew the top of the vagina closed since I don't have a cervix. Is that what this is and does a vaginal cuff make the vaginal canal shorter. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
Hope 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

If your cervix was removed, you have what is sometimes called a vaginal cuff. It is basically where the top of the vagina is stitched shut. Think about a sock.

You can read a neat HysterSisters Post-Op article, Vaginal Cuff after Hysterectomy - What is it?.

s, Deb
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

You have one if your cervix was removed. Yes it is when the top of your vagina was sewen shut. I don't know if it makes the vaginal canal shorter. I do know that it looks like the toe of a sock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

hope50,
I just posted something similar to this in another thread asking about vaginal cuffs. I wish I knew how to get my quote from there to post here. It would save a little typing, ha.
I was told to imagine an apple sitting on the open end of a drinking glass. The part of the apple that hangs into the glass is the cervix (the glass is the vagina). Removing the apple does not cause the length of the glass/vagina to shorten. So then the edges of the vagina are sewn together making the vaginal cuff.
It's been my experience that the vagina is not shorter than before but I have to try sex a few more times before I can say for sure.
I hope this helps a little. The visual helped me understand a bit better.
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Banff4me,

Thanks for this explanation...it helps to see that visually too. By the way, I noticed that you had your ovaries removed too, like me. Are you on any hormones and how are you doing with that?
Thanks,
Hope50
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Thank you also Crossfire and sw34,
for your explanations as well. I think I now understand what it is. The name "vaginal cuff" sounds as though it's a sleeve cuff, so I was confused. You all are so great for answering my question.
Thanks again!
Hope50
Unread 04-11-2008, 02:18 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Your welcome! Take care.
Unread 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hope50,

Hi there! I had the whole works removed and have experienced a few hot flashes, a little bit of sleep disturbance and a bit of vaginal dryness. So far, I don't feel the need for replacement hormones. Also, I am a breast cancer gene mutation carrier meaning that my risk for breast cancer is quite high. I had the genetic testing done a year ago and opted to have this surgery to reduce my risk by reducing the amount of hormones floating around in my system. It is supposed to reduce the risk by half.
Kind of a long answer for such an easy question!
Hope your feeling ok. Are you replacing any hormones?
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Banff4me,
I'm glad that you're doing so well without the hormones! I am on the estridiol patch .05 mg. I've only had a few mild hot flashes, but so far (knock on wood) that's all I've had. (oh, I am getting a few very light headaches which I never used to get...but not sure this is hormone related or not). I'm feeling a little better now that it's been about a week and a half since my surgery.
Glad to see that you are doing well.

Hope50
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hope50,
Wow!! I didn't notice that you're just over a week now!! I do remember that I went through a phase with a headache every morning and it seemed to go away on its own, for me, by the 8 week mark. I know that sounds a long way off but, I think that looking back on everything, it went quite fast. Do you find that the patch helps? If I do run into trouble with the lack of hormones, I can go on a low dose for a little while. I see that you are in California..... lucky girl! At least it's probably a little warmer there and sunnier too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register