What is a vaginal cuff? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a vaginal cuff? What is a vaginal cuff?

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Banff4me (Laura),
OK, good...I'm glad to hear that the headaches will hopefully not stay.
Yes, I think the patch is helping. At least I don't really have a lot of hot flashes and I don't have night sweats (although I do tend to get warm at night and find myself kicking off the covers). Yes, the weather is rather awesome right now, almost summer weather these next few days (89 degrees), but it's supposed to cool down to about 64 degrees by next week. So, I don't know, is it a hot flash or just hot weather?? Hmmm... I see your're from Canada. I've never been there but have heard it is beautiful! If the weather is cool, that's probably great for any hot flashes you may be having!

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Hope50,

Promise me that if you do ever visit Canada, you'll come to the Rocky Mountains in Banff, Calgary (Vancouver is beautiful too and straight north of you!) I'm obsessed by the scenery there (that's why I'm Banff4me).
I've been to San Fran and to the Gilroy Garlic Festival. (I dragged my family to the festival. I love to cook and garlic is my best friend).
It's true about the odd hot flash being relieved by a step outside! It's getting warmer now and soon I'll have to come up with another way to cool down!
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:57 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Banff4me (Laura),
That trip to Canda to see those sights sound good to me!

You know, I bought the scarf with the ice packet that you insert inside (from this Hystersisters website) so that I can have it cool down any hot flashes insconspicuously. You tie the scarf around your neck and it really just looks like a nice scarf. I got mine in white (but I think I'll order black as well). It feels so "coooool" to my neck and is so soothing. Maybe now that the weather there is going to warm up, this might be one way that you can "cool" yourself when a hot flash flares up. Also, a beautiful hand held fan could help too. You sound like you're doing great even though you're not on hormone replacement. WOW!!
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hope50,

Thanks for the info on the 'special' scarf! Sounds like it could take care of the odd flare up. Just hope it wouldn't look too funny in July! Ha! A few years back, I bought a beautiful fan from the Japan exhibit at Epcot in Disneyworld. I never thought that I would be using it for anything other than decor! It seems that the only real 'problem' I'm having from the lack of hormones is dryness. Kinda embarrassing but 'relations' with the hubby is quite painful. I've never experienced this before so I still may have to figure something out to get somewhat back to comfy again. Maybe I'll have to start a new thread in the Post Meno/no hormone section of this site to see if there is any help or ideas.

Let me know if you need a tour guide!! You're not even two weeks out yet. How are you doing?
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Banff4me (Laura)!
I think that using that beautiful fan will work out wonderfully! My sister bought me a very small, battery operated fan to put on my desk, or near my bed, etc. when I need a cool breeze and don't want to fan myself. I could just see myself when I go back to work (I teach 4th/5th graders), and I pull out that fan and have it blowing in my face. I may have to crank up the air conditioning and tell the kids to bring sweaters and jackets! Well, actually, so far my hot flashes have been few and far betwee (and very mild) because I'm on the Climara patch. I do feel very warm and night and find myself kicking off my covers, but it's not too bad.
As far as relations with hubby, I have 3 sisters that are older than me. Only 2 have spoken to me about this, the other one is embarrassed to talk about such things (I'm not). My 57 year old sister told me that Replens used to work for her just fine to help lubricate but that in the last 6 months, it was getting worse. She now takes a prescribed estrogen vaginal cream that she uses. She claims it works great. My other sister, 55 years old, told me that she uses a different vaginal lubricating cream. I'll have to ask her again for the name. They both said that without it, it really felt dry and was even beginning to hurt when they walked. (None of my sisters have ever had a hysterectomy and none of them ever took HRT). Your gyn is also a good person to go to in order to get suggestions as to what can help. I'm not at the relations point here yet, will be at least another 2 months (I'm scared to try), then I'll know whether I will need this too.

Last Saturday, April 12, I went to see my 16 year old daughter sing in the musical "Godspell". It was so exciting to be able to put on a nice (stretchy) dress, put makeup on, do my hair, and go out! I wasn't sure a few days before if I could do it, cause I was in a lot of pain before, but Saturday came and I felt a lot better. I semi-reclined in my seat so that helped. It was also a warm evening so it felt great being outside. My daughter was so happy to see me there as well.

I'm hoping that the weather there will warm up for you and that the spring flowers will blossom there soon. How else are you doing? Do you have any hobbies? I see that you're 44, I'm 49 but I'll be 50 on April 25 (Yikes!!).
Hope to hear from you soon!
Unread 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Hope 50!

Your idea of the battery operated fan is great. Have to get one of those! Thank goodness the hot flashes are manageable and I'm not at the point of needing to rip off my clothing to get relief! My biggest concern is the dryness. I'm comfy walking around doing my daily activities, it's just in the 'romance' department that things have changed quite a bit. I'm lucky to have a hubby who's understanding and patient. We've been married for 25 years so it's not as if we're newlyweds!
I just came back from grocery shopping and at the store of all places, I found KY moisturebeads. I've been looking for these, supposedly they help alot.... we'll see?
Happy early Birthday!!! Remember, 50 is the new 40! I'm glad to be the age I am now with the wisdom that comes along with it (but the 20s body was nice!) I have two 'kids', a 21 year old boy and 18 year old girl. My daughter is just finishing her first year of university and my son has just received his commercial helicopter license. It's nice to watch them grow and I'm sure you were very proud to attend your daughter's performance. She must be great! I remember the first time getting dressed in something other than jammies and putting on makeup was a joy!
As far as hobbies goes, I major in the domestics and love to travel but I've never been away from North America. Our family is quite active, so we snow ski, water ski, do a bit of hiking out west (remember Canadian Rockies) and enjoy spending time together, we're close. It seems that lately I've been spending a lot of time in Drs. offices preparing for the hyster and then recouping from it. I also had a kidney stone (first in my life) over the Easter weekend, and had to go back to surgery for that. Finally I'm feeling better and am done with getting better and look forward to that warm weather!
I think you'll start to notice changes from week to week now. Once past the two week mark, it seemed that on the weekly marker, things changed for the better! There was also another thread on this forum singing the joys of a summer with white pants and never having to plan again around periods!
What part of CA are you close to?
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:17 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi Banff4me (Laura),

I have 3 kids. My oldest son just turned 23 and is working in a CPA firm, my middle son is 18 (will be 19 in June)and he is in his 2nd year at the university studying Civil Engineering and my only daughter just turned 16 and is a sophomore in high school. My two older kids are around the same age as yours! Doesn't time just fly by?

We don't do any skiing or mountain activities (I'm afraid of heights of all things!), so even though we only live about an hour and a 1/2 from the mountains, we don't really go. I should get over this fear but I just can't...sigh.

Ooooh...that kidney stone must have hurt. My sister had one a few months ago and she was in a lot of pain. Hope your all better from that and that you don't get another one. Did they tell you what you can do to prevent another one from forming?

I'm trying to eat better and healthier now that I'm recovering. I don't want to go back to work in a few weeks and not be able to fit until my clothes (hopefully my swelly belly will be unswelled by then!).

I live in Southern California, earthquake terrritory but sunny! I'm about 45 mins south of Pasadena (where they have the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl on New Years Day).

I look forward to better days, but I have to remember to take it easy. Sometimes I bend or lean over or stretch and I have to remember not to do that.
Take care of yourself, and hope to hear from you soon.
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi again Hope50,
I'm so envious for the fact that you live so close to mountains and in a warm and sunny area! Here in Ontario it's fairly flat so we have to catch a plane for the 3 hour flight out west. I'm deathly afraid of heights too and would never climb to the top of anything but I stay at the foot of them and look up! If you're ever curious, google images of Lake Louise or Moraine Lake.

Kidney stone was worse than anything I've ever gone through. I realized that my diet and the fact that I should have been drinking more water, contributed to 'the mother of all stones'. Water and more water is the key to everything. I also found out that my favorite foods are culprits too! Get this.... strawberries, beets, protein, chocolate, coffee and tea, salt.... what else is there!!? I don't want to experience another one so I will behave and drink my water and lemonaide.

I remember the point in recovery that you are in now. Hurts to bend forward, hard to lift both legs up onto the couch, and forget about putting the socks on! I did 'carry' my belly around and found that the swellyness of it disappeared at about 8 weeks for me. I had a hard time fitting back into my jeans for quite a while (ate alot of goodies during recovery) and I am back to the weight I was preop. (10 pounds could go though and I wouldn't miss them).

I find it sort of funny that this thread is supposed to be about vaginal cuffs and we've gone off on a tangent! Maybe you could sit out in the sun for both of us! It's supposed to get to 16 celsius here. (I forget how to convert that) I'll guess 62-65 degrees. It's nice to have family that is a little older and able to care of themselves (and us) during this time. It would be alot harder if they were younger.
Enjoy your sunshine (and amazing wine)! Talk to you soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register