Two weeks post-op and still in pain ~ is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks post-op and still in pain ~ is this normal? Two weeks post-op and still in pain ~ is this normal?

Unread 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
louisiana ladies getting better

home 2 weeks and getting better, still have an unusual amount of pain, was wondering if this is normal.I try not to take too much medicine, its not healthy! any helpful home hints are appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Two weeks post-op and still in pain ~ is this normal?

Hi there. Saw your thread and I wanted to say be kind to yourself. I too didn't like the idea of taking too many painkillers - I never have - but soon kicked that idea into touch. The pain can be pretty horrible and I was watching the clock, interspersing ibuprofen every two hours with paracetamol. I still resort to painkillers every now and again and I am six and a half weeks post op.

I wouldn't think it is anything to be alarmed about, when you consider the things we have had done inside of us! If are scarring was on the outside, I should think we would understand why we are still in pain!

Take it easy and happy healing.

Unread 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM

PS A hot water bottle on my tummy and one on my back was a godsend for me! I don't know how I could have coped without them. I had a vaginal hysterectomy plus laparoscopy and various repairs. I don't know about hot water bottles on top of an abdominal scar, if that's what you had, but it can't hurt on your lower back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 05:29 AM

Hi Mariahlove71. You said your pain was an unusual amount so I am supposing you are in more pain than you have had thus far. If that is the case then if you have had a big increase in pain I would suggest you check with your dr.

However, it also seems you are not taking any regular pain relief. From the info I have had it seems that effective pain management in first couple of weeks is only possible with regular medication so you can stay a step ahead of the pain. Waiting until it is out of control tends to result in not being able to bring it back into line easily. If you read the posts on the site you will see that most sisters are still in sufficient pain to be on regular meds for pain in their 2nd week and beyond so maybe the problem is that your desire to be "healthy" and not take meds is letting you down and causing you more suffering than necessary. No one is going to give you a medal for suffering more than you need to and regular medication after surgery is commonplace and doesn't cause any long term damage so long as you don't continue to take it when you truly are not in pain and no longer need it. I hope you check with your Dr and get the relief you need and deserve. Don't suffer this - it is hard enough even with the pain meds. Be kind to yourself.

Blessings

Alison
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM

I have read that if you are in pain and do not take pain medication, your body uses up energy fighting the pain, instead of healing. This info was and is enough to keep me taking my pain meds.
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM

I am four weeks post op and still have occasional pain. I took pain pills for the first couple of weeks and then slowly weaned myself off of them. By week three I was feeling pretty good and by week four I was a mess again. I was bleeding and had trouble sleeping. Woke up in the middle of the night to take pain meds because I couldn't sleep. Your pain levels will vary with each day. Some days are better than others for me. I find it more painful when I am laying down because I tend to use my ab muscles to move around in bed and to get up. You are not strange and you shouldn't worry about how many you are taking. Listen to your body and do accordingly. Your body knows better what it needs than anything else. Pain medications and rest are the two best prescriptions for a healing body and a body can't rest if it is pain.
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM

I am till in pain and I still take my pain meds, I would try to take something hon to let your body rest and relax and heal
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I have to agree with the ladies. If your body is in pain it is not properly able to heal, as your resources are being used elsewhere. Did you discuss this with your doctor? Something you should do whenever you change how you take medication they have prescribed you. Even decreasing meds should be discussed.

The other thing I can think of, that I see out here way too often, is to ensure you are having regular BMs and passing gas. If you aren't taking stool softeners or something to allow the waste to pass through easily you may end up with an excess amount of waste backing up. This puts pressure on your internal incisions and hurts like a bugger! Trust me on this. I now take stool softeners twice daily and also do every possible thing to keep things moving each and every day.

Good luck, and talk to the doc! An increase in pain is never a good sign.
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM

I have learned to really appreciate:
GasX
heating pad
percocet
laptop computer
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Ha Ha! You sound like me! I have been living in my recliner with my laptop. I've only been looking at the Percoset since day 4 (I'm almost 5 weeks post op), because I can't take any pain meds except motrin because I ended up in the emergency room with constipation and inability to void. I seemed to to better last week and so I went for a 2 mile walk yesterday, did a little grocery shopping, cooked supper last night and today---BAM! I'm in tears from the pain. My 2 grandsons came to visit today and I couldn't wait for them to leave! I was so sore! This is getting discouraging!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register