Anyone else sorry that she had a hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else sorry that she had a hysterectomy? Anyone else sorry that she had a hysterectomy?

Unread 04-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyone else sorry that she had a hysterectomy?

Your husband sounds like an immature jerk. I am also sorry. My doc said i had an enlarged uterus last September which had to come out (fibroids pressing on my bladder) Well, I asked him how big the uterus and fibroids were when I saw him yesterday (had surgery March 10) and he said--oh they were almost gone and your uterus was normal size now that you began menopause last dec!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the support.

Kathleen, it sounds like you may have had an unnecessary procedure and that is a real shame.

Mine was not life threatening. I just had a big bulge which I could feel when I wiped so I am not so sure that I have gained anything by having the surgery. I did not have a difficult time either so I guess I should be thankful for that.

My in-laws have been here for a week. It seems like it has been a month. I am having so much trouble keeping quiet about how unhappy I am. They are old and it is not their fault so I am trying to keep from gagging when then keep telling me what a wonderful life I have here in paradise.

Kay
Unread 04-12-2008, 05:14 PM

wow==that has to be hard with in-laws there. After my surgery, my family and friends would just "stop by" and stay for hours. I really just wanted to be alone. When people are here, I feel like I have to entertain them. I can't sleep ect. Also, at the beginning, I was taking percoset and I don't feel like myself on that. I am almost 5 weeks post op and today was a hard day. I think I did too much yesterday. Went for a two mile walk and went grocery shopping. Now I'm paying for it. I also had a tummy tuck at the same time I had the hyst and I'm not sure the pain is from that or from the hyst. I'm supposed to go back to work on May 10 and I'm worried I won't be 100 percent. Right now I can't even do basic things without being VERY sore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM

Kay,
Oh the 'precious' outlaws.... If they're not offering much help, maybe try to get them to move along as soon as possible. They're only dampening your experience of 'paradise'. As soon as they're gone, set their dear son straight! You will feel much better and more in control of your situation. If you feel the need to rant and rave and stomp around the house, then do it. Get it out of your system. Then turn your thoughts to healing, accepting your decision and getting on with your happiness. Give yourself the time to adjust to the new you and use this opportunity to speak for what you need. Maybe this will spur dh and others on to give you a bit more respect and in turn you will be proud of yourself for all that you have accomplished.
I'll be sitting in my own 'paradise' thinking of you!
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Kay,
I am so sorry you are feeling so sad! As I recall from your past posts, your recovery overall has been very good. You haven't had a lot of pain other than the uti. I think that the sling will fix many of those leakage problems. It is a journey of healing. It does not alwys get all fixed at once. A year from now you will feel differently.
I kept my uterus, had it suspended. But I had the other issues you talked of: rectocele and cystocele. He fixed the cystocele and the severe uterine prolapse by suspending the uterus. He decided to wait on the rectocele because that was the least of the 3 and he thought it would get better after the surgery. It is worse and I will have to have it fixed. I am not thrilled about that.
Have you heard of the Last Lecture? It is a book by a man dying of cancer. He says we are all dealt different hands in life and what we can control is how we play that hand. None of us wants to deal with what we deal with, cystoceles, rectoceles, leakage, constipation, hysterectomies, marriage troubles, etc. BUT it is the hand we were dealt. We DECIDE how we will play that hand.
I wish we could go out for coffee and talk and talk. It may help to write down the many positives in your life. (from what I remember from your posts) You are retired, you had a wonderful career, you had children, you love to exercise, you are very encouraging to others, etc. There must be lots more, grandchildren?
I'll say a prayer for you for healing of your emotions and dealing with the loss of your uterus, also you marriage.
PollyRi
Unread 04-22-2008, 03:01 PM

I'm really on the fence also. I don't exactly regret the hysterectomy. It had to be done as I had run out of other options. I think what I regret is that it wasn't the start of a new, better life, I didn't become a "new woman," and I just don't feel like it was the best decision I've ever made. Would I still do it? Yes! Although I think maybe I would be less a believer that it would give me that "happily ever after." It fixed some of the problem, and for that I am grateful. But the reality is that I'm still in pain, I still don't have "relations" without significant discomfort and internal pain, and I don't feel like the hysterectomy had much of an impact on those things. My journey toward a new, pain free life continues.
Unread 04-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Well why are you in so much pain? You need another doc to find out!
Unread 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Yes, I agree with Kathleen. Find out what is causing your pain, Mich. I do not have physical pain--- more emotional pain and I just feel that things were not bad enough for me to have done the surgery when I did. I think I was fearing cancer since my brother had just passed away from brain cancer. I figured without ovaries, I'd beat ovarian cancer. Without a cervix, I'd beat cervical cancer. Well you get the idea.

I think my thinking ability has been impaired. Now that could be old age instead of the surgery but I feel like I have aged a lot in the last 3 months. It may all be in my head but this is the hand that I have been dealt.

Maybe it would have been better if I had left things alone. My blood pressure is going crazy. it was 182/92 the other night. This morning it was 134/78. I'm sure such fluctuation is not good for my heart either. I take two different blood pressure pills now. I have thyroid problems also--- this is a new problem. I feel like everything is breaking down, falling out--- or falling apart.

Sorry to be such a downer anymore. Maybe I should have chosen a different screen name. It doesn't have anything to do with being "down" but that is how it has turned out.

Kay
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:47 AM

I can't honestly say I am very happy about having had a hysterectomy. When I first found out this is what I needed I was in total denial and tried to try other treatments. But the bleeding just wouldn't stop, and I feel like my body betrayed me. Especially when I never thought anything was wrong until up to 3 months before the surgery. I didn't have a clue that I had endometriosis and fibroids. I was severly anemic and it took me months to recover. I still feel that I had no choice. It was either the surgery or die. It was taken out of my hands.

Surgical menopause with no HRT is not fun. In the beginning it was awful. I can't say it's much better now one year to the day later, it's just not as bad. But I still get those crying jags and things bother me more and my moods can be off the wall sometimes. I always thought I'd go through menopause naturally. Never in my life did I think I'd ever have to face this. My body feels like it's been turned upside down. The only thing I can use is the estrogen vaginal cream, and sex is not the same at all. Along with taking my hormones it took my sex drive and I can forget about the big "O" because it isn't going to happen anymore. It put such a strain on my relationship with my bf that we are no longer together. I'll never get used to what that surgical menopause did to my body. I did my research before the surgery, but drs. never prepare you for what you are going to feel like afterwards. I had fibroids and severe endometriosis. I went through menopause cold turkey. I was having regular periods at the time. I can't describe what it was like after the surgery with no HRT. It was and still is awful.
Unread 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Ooh Girls,
Im sitting here reading all your posts, and feeling so sad. I know what each of you are going thru, as i am in the same boat, with the Hormone issues, sex issues, Pain issues, and regretting my descision on the whole Surgery deal. I wanted to start a post about regretting it, but didnt wan't to cause anyone to be scared or mad. But now that i know that im not the only one thats not feeling like this new person, i dont feel so alone.
they say time, time time!!! and as i am only 8 weeks out, i will have to just wait & see if things get better. I think we all are so used to doing for everyone, we try & rush the Healing, although it's pretty discouraging when you fell like your going in reverse as far as the healing & feeling better goes. i am so glad we have this forum, Just reading all the things we go thru has made me feel better many many difficult days!!! hopefully soon we will all be going down the path to Health & healing!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register