Some encouragment for all of you | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some encouragment for all of you Some encouragment for all of you

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Some encouragment for all of you

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted. I am almost 10 weeks post-op (surgery was Feb. 4), and I had a TAH and an appendectomy. I kept my ovaries.

I just want to encourage all of you who are newly into your recovery. For those of you who remember me, I posted many times asking when I'd ever feel normal again. I really thought even by 4 and 5 weeks post op that I may not return to my normal life. I'm very active. I'm an athlete, and I love to run (hence the screen name).

Well, by the time I hit around 6 weeks, I really turned a corner.

I started to run at 8 weeks post-op, and it was great.

I'm now almost 10 weeks post op, and I'm back to running 4 - 5 days a week, and strength training twice a week. I just started doing very light abdominal exercises last week. I feel amazing!

My abdomen is still tender if I push on it, or something presses on it, but other than that, I cannot tell I had surgery.

I feel better than I have in a long long time. I have all my energy back, and sex is better than before mostly because I don't have the bleeding issues, and pain from before.

I'm wearing all my normal clothes and jeans, and I can sleep on my stomach just fine.

What I did do was at 6 weeks post-op, i started getting massages twice a week. I got shiatzu, which really helps with blood circulation, and this really helped reduce the swelling in the abdomen.

My swelly belly is gone... I do still have just a little swelling right at my incision, but it's just this little hump.... but the actual swelly belly is totally gone for me. :-)

So, there is really a light at the end of the tunnel. My recovery was SO slow... it took me the FULL 6 weeks to even feel like I could be normal again. I was so surprised my recovery was so slow, too, because I'm very fit, healthy and was in such good shape before surgery. But, it just goes to show that everyone heals and recovers at a different rate. I also had appendicitis and had my appendix out, so that might have contributed to why I had pain for longer than most.

But, the good news is that the pain is totally gone, and I have my life back.... I feel SO much better than before my surgery... it's euphoric. :-)

I just wanted to encourage any of you who are feeling the way I was during the first 6 weeks.... wondering if I'd ever be normal again, or wondering if I traded pain for pain by having this surgery. I had to take Percocit up until 5 weeks post-op. (I took Percocit during the day until about 3 1/2 weeks post-op, and then went to just once at night before bed until 5 weeks post-op, and I continued to take 600 MG of Ibuprofin along with Tylenol up until 6 weeks post-op). So, I did not have it easy the first 6 weeks, but literally right around 6 - 7 weeks post-op, I just started noticing my body was getting back to normal, and by 8 weeks, I just felt I was ready to run. My first run was on the treadmill very slow and I managed to go for 15 minutes and no pain. I felt great the next day.

good luck to all of you. This web site really carried me through those 6 weeks.

There really is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the new YOU will appear before you know it! :-)

Take care!

ps. just wanted to add.... I wrote that my first run was at 8 weeks post-op for 15 minutes and slow... I just took it really easy so I would not over-do it. Now, I'm almost 10-weeks post-op, and I'm running 40 minutes at a pretty good pace (not quite to the pace I was at pre-surgery), but I'm getting there. So, for anyone who runs, there is hope. I am still taking it easy and listening to my body, but so far, my body hasn't complained. I'm hoping to be back up to my 6 - 7 mile runs within a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 08:22 PM

Great to hear from you LTR! I'm glad your doing so well I'm back to running and working out too. I actually started boot camp this week and I'm loving it! Taking it easier than I normally would but loving it!!

I almost posted on here a few days ago to see if anyone that posted to that running thread was back at it.

You go girl!!!

Starbgirl
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Hey Starbgirl,

It's great to hear from you! I actually was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing, too.

That is awesome that you are back to running and working out.... boot camp sounds fun. :-) Can you believe that it was not too long ago that we were complaining about gas pains and "giving birth to the BM"? haha. (I can laugh about it now....). I'm totally back to my normal life now and it feels great.... no more "giving birth to the BM" phew!

SnowyOwl... are you out there anywhere? How are you doing?

Any other runners from the Jan or Feb. Hystersisteres who are back to running now?

Anyway, for anyone who is a runner here who is a March or April sister... hang in there.... you'll be hitting the streets before you know it!

good to hear from you Starbgirl. I'm glad to hear you're back to normal and "complication free". You sure went through the ringer! Hats off to you!!

Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Hey LTR! Great to hear from you, and thanks for the words of encouragement! I've been walking lots (so much that my feet hurt) and I hope that I will soon be back to looking normal. I'm tired of looking pregnant. lol Ironic, isn't it?? They take the womb out and I look pregnant. Oh well, I know it's just temporary.

All the best to you! Please continue to check in once in awhile, k?
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Hi Jen,

It's great to hear you are doing a lot better, too! good for you on all the walking. :-) I'm sure your body loves it.

I know, back when my belly was so swollen, I thought it was so ironic that I looked pregnant after my hysterectomy. Hopefully your swelly belly will go down soon. i have found that soaking my feet in hot water and then massaging my feet daily (more than once a day is ideal) helps with the swelly belly. I learned this from my massage therapist. when you soak your feet in hot water, that pulls all of the blood circulation down to your feet, and then when you massage your feet, it just opens up the circulation all over your body and if your blood is circulating well, the swelling goes down because right now, the blood is circulating in your abdomen more than anywhere else to protect your abdomen, and that causes a lot of the swollen belly.

Anyway, after I started getting massage and me massaging my own feet and taking hot baths as well as soaking my feet in hot water, my swelly belly went away.

Good luck!! yes, I'll check in once in a while, and you do the same!

Oh, and one other thing i forgot to mention in my original post.... next week, i'm scheduled to get my first bikini wax since my surgery! My doctor told me I'd have the green light on that middle of April, which is next week. So, I'm a bit nervous (because my scar is below my hair line), but I'm sure the gal who waxes me has had people with bikini cut scars come in lots before. I'm sure it'll be fine.... my scar is still red, but I think that is normal.... it doesn't hurt, and it seems totall healed (although, it's still numb).

I'll let you all know how that goes!

Take care!! :-)
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:37 AM

THANKS SO MUCH so nice to hear this
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Great post, I was so discouraged when Week 3 was ending and I was in more pain than ever, and then Week 4 has just been all about exhaustion.
I am vowing to come back better, faster & stronger than before!
Unread 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM

TunaCat -- I SOOOOO relate to you. That is EXACTLY how I felt, but believe me, it all ends! Just be patient (I know I had a difficult time being patient). I feel so much better than before my surgery now... I just feel like a new person. I actually just got back from an appointment, and the person I met found out at this appointment that I had a TAH almost 10 weeks ago, and she told me she was amazed because i was just moving around like normal, and wearing my jeans, no swollen belly... she said she could not believe how well I was doing. :-)

I just can't believe that even 4 weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I'd even be running by May, and 6 weeks ago (which was week 4 post-op) I honestly questioned if I'd ever run again, of if I'd ever stand up straight again.... or even wear jeans again! haha.

You'll be sharing this same experience soon, I'm sure!

Hang in there. :-)
Unread 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM

LTR thank you, thank you, thank you ever so much for your post. I'm a runner and a kickboxing instructor. Monday will be 4 weeks post-op for me. I've been walking daily and trying to add on distance when my body allows, but like you, I've had days where I seriously question whether I'll EVER be able to run or kickbox again. You have no idea how much I needed to read your post today. Thank you again and Happy Running.
Unread 04-12-2008, 03:21 PM

LTR... glad to hear from you ... I especially like the part about the massage.
I still have quite a bit of swelly belly but I had the vertical incision. don't know if that takes longer...
I try to get walking in, but the weather isn't cooperating much...
I think a lot of women will be encouraged by your post. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register