who else is 4 months out? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

who else is 4 months out? who else is 4 months out?

Unread 04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
who else is 4 months out?

Thank you for the topic - I was thinking of posting. Am doing great - except that I do not have the capacity to do all the things in the day I use to be able to do (which is probably a good thing since I was doing too much) AND the darn "pouch". My Dr told me my stomach would get flatter after surgery and all the "extension" has done is moved up higher on the abdomen - I don't know if it is just fat, or swelling? I actually googled "fluid in abdomen" today to see if that could be it? Have started exercising and it gets sore afterward. Also, my abdomen is still numb in some places around the navel. Have gained at least 10 pounds. I don't have to have a flat stomach at my age, but I sure wish I could get some improvement. I know I need to change diet and keep working-out, but yikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 07:27 PM

I've tried exercising too in hopes of losing my swelly belly.........but let me tell you, it hurt for DAYS afterward!!!! I tried jogging/walking, and I guess my tummy just wasn't ready for it. My nurse practitioner told me to just stick w/walking for now.

I'm glad we're getting to "compare notes" at this stage. I still think about it quite often, but have not had one regret!!!!!!! Not one!!!!!
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM

[quote=supportneeded]I've tried exercising too in hopes of losing my swelly belly.........but let me tell you, it hurt for DAYS afterward!!!!

Am sorry that exercising caused you pain - but I am glad that what I am experiencing isn't "just me". I worked out 2 days ago and the entire pouch is sore today. I was by my Dr's office today picking up a prescription and I almost went up there to make an appt to talk to her about it. I never expected this to happen since it is so different than c-sections (at least for me)

mariah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgainec

Am sorry that exercising caused you pain - but I am glad that what I am experiencing isn't "just me".
Well, same as you, not glad you're having pain, but glad I'm not alone.

Since you mentioned c-sections, I'm just curious, how are they different? I never had one, but I thought they were pretty similar. Are they more painful? I would think it's got to be more stressful since you have a child to take of while recupertating from MAJOR surgery.
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:45 PM

Since you mentioned c-sections, I'm just curious, how are they different? I never had one, but I thought they were pretty similar. Are they more painful? I would think it's got to be more stressful since you have a child to take of while recupertating from MAJOR surgery.[/quote]

For me the c-sections (2) were way less painful. I was "okay" within a week or so, of course I was younger. With this surgery, I felt much more "messed with" inside. What never occured to me before the hyst is that with the c-section they're not removing any organs, just cutting and closing (or whatever). I don't recall having the numb abdominal skin, or pain in the skin of the abdomen after the c-sections. I know other people must have different experiences -
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:38 AM

Other than an occasional pinchy-ness along one spot of my incision, and a little trouble sleeping still, I'm doing great.

I'm just getting to the point where I can exercise and it energizes me instead of wiping me out. My anemia has been slowly going away and I'm finally up to non-anemic blood levels. I suspect that is what was making me so tired.

I also made it through my first three month check-up and I am cancer free :

I miss my hormones, I still feel a little empty emotionally, but I wouldn't call it depression anymore. My doctor won't allow HRT because of the cancer, but she's all about antidepressants if I need them. Those things scare me more than hormone replacement, so I'm waiting it out and doing what I can with vitamins and exercise to keep the positive changes in my life going.

I almost feel guilty about how happy it makes me not to have the bleeding/pain/PMS issues that I had even before the cancer. I didn't realize how much it was affecting my daily existence until I was free of it. I couldn't go a day without wearing at least a pad, and my purse was stuffed full of "supplies" in case I had a random gusher. It's such a relief not to have to deal with that anymore. Life is nearly normal again.

Well, normal for me anyway
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:56 AM

HI Grania! I had my TAH/BSO a day before you did and glad to hear you're feeling pretty good. Congrats on being cancer free!!!!!!!!!! I, too, am feeling good, and am not on any HRT(I was diagnosed with Endo. hyperplasia with Atypia, but they found cancer at surg, so no HRT for me). I am also cured and only problem I have right now is the insomnia. I do get some hot flashes, but nothing I can't handle.
I can't tell you how miserable I was before the surgery with cramps, bleeding and non stopping PMS. I was living on Ibuprofen and just trying to get through the day. As much as didn't want to have the hysterectomy, I'm glad I did. It was a blessing in disguise. I finally emptied out the trunk of my car with all the pad, tampons, extra underwear, etc!! I guess you don't realize how bad you feel until you feel better. Take care! Pam
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Supportneeded, I had a c-section too. That was much easier surgery than this was. My incision this time is longer, and the amount of internal stitches is a lot more than with a c-section.

In the month after my daughter was born I had a raging bladder infection from the catheter and then I had pneumonia that she ended up catching too. I'd still say that even with all the coughing, there was much less soreness with the c-section, and no dealing with the bladder and bowel issues that came with this surgery. I agree with Morgainec about feeling a lot more "messed with" inside. Recovery was definitely longer this time.
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grania
I agree with Morgainec about feeling a lot more "messed with" inside. Recovery was definitely longer this time.
That's interesting- I guess I thought c-section would be just as bad. But as Morgainec said, in that case, you're just being cut and sewn back up, not having something actually cut out.

I'm SO glad that you and Pam are both cancer free!!! Thank God for that!

And glad we're all on the mend, one day at a time.
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM

And glad we're all on the mend, one day at a time.

Yes, am very happy we are all doing good, Pam and Grania are cancer free! Thank you all for "being there". I would have been lost without this site. I still would be lost without this site. It is so good to have someplace to go and be with those who share the same experiences! Blessings! Mariah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register