scared of being a cry baby on surgery day! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of being a cry baby on surgery day! scared of being a cry baby on surgery day!

Unread 04-14-2008, 04:44 AM
scared of being a cry baby on surgery day!

With the crying spells that I am having now, I just know that I am going to be one that is going to be crying like a baby the morning when I have to go to the hospital for surgery. I feel like I will be crying when they wheel me to the OR and crying till they put me to sleep! That is how scared I am. Do you think they deal with this sort of thing a lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2008, 05:20 AM

try to think happy thoughts or something to get yourself not to cry the worse thing i experienced during my d&c and ablation was i went in sad and crying and woke up terrified sad and crying, the dr said if you go into anthesis crying youll come back out of it crying its like your brain continues where it left off. im going in tomorrow and gonna try real hard not to cry cause i want to wake up this time bettr and not sad and terrified.
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM

I'm sure they do. This surgery can be a very emotional experience on us ladies. Have you talked to your dr about an anti-anxiety med to take until surgery? The waiting is the worst part, and there is nothing wrong with having a little something that can help you deal with this.

I was given a sedative before even leaving Pre-op. I was already calm and relaxed, so the sedative knocked me right out. I know there are quite a few other ladies who were given a sedative before surgery. Talk to your dr and have him explain what to expect in Pre-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Can they give you a sedative that will knock you out so you won't even know when you are being put to sleep? I just know I will be a wreck. I just have this fear of not waking up. It may be a crazy fear, after reading all the post op posts here, and how they all turned out all right.
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm afraid I'll act like such a baby I'll embarass myself.. My surgery is scheduled for 5/30/08 and the first week I found out I cried everyday.. Now I just have a spell here and there but I KNOW I'll be crying like a baby as that date gets closer... I'm going to let my doctor know at my pre-op and I'm sure they have dealt with it before.. We're are going to be fine!! Good luck but I'm right there with you..
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM

I felt like that the days before, but on the actual day of the surgery I was calm as a rock (if there is such an expression) I think I had cried it all out of my system. The day of the surgery is a blur - things happen very quickly and you have already "zoned" yourself out - you are in and out before you know it. The happy cocktail they give you really calms you down. You will do fine, I think you are doing a good thing working through your emotions. Good luck and speedy recovery to you.
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM

I had horrible crying spells before my surgery, too. I couldn't even tell the reception desk my name to check in. I found that the entire hosp. staff was super supportive and understanding throughout the whole thing.

I was told my surgery was at 11:30, and to be there @ 9:30, but it was actually scheduled for 1:00, and they were running late. I was finally called out of pre-op at 2:00. I was very tense and nervous as you can imagine. Once I got into the operating room, I got a cramp in my left foot. The anesthesiologist massaged it out for me before putting me under!!

Everyone is on your side. Accept their care and support, you deserve it!!!
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM

You will most likely get a shot in your IV to calm you down. My nurse called it "happy med" and let me tell you I was not feeling a thing after I got that shot! I immediately felt calm and relaxed. The nurses and Dr were extremely supportive before and after my surgery. My Dr and the anesthesiologist came and talked to me before the surgery.I felt like I was in a hotel only that they brought "legal drugs" every 4 hours! Tell the nurses how you feel and maybe you can get something to calm you down fairly quickly. I happened to be the first surgery of the day so I didn't have to wait long. Best wishes!
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM

When I had my tubal almost 3 years ago. I cried going into surgery and coming out. I had an obsession about not being nauseous post-op and apparently really torqued off the nurse obsessing about it. I remember her yelling at me not to worry so much and telling my husband to get me under control.

I can't help being emotional!

Anyway, different hospital for my hysterectomy, so hopefully the nurses will be a little more sympathetic this time around.
Unread 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM

Dena --
a couple years ago, I had surgery on my feet. Just day surgery, and it was something I wanted veryverymuch. Yet, sitting in pre-op, I started crying, because I was thinking about the 8-10 weeks we would be unable to go dancing (DH and I are serious ballroom dancers, as a hobby). The nurses said 'oh honey, think about how much better dancing will be, after you've healed', and I had to bit my tongue to not say something like 'go stuff it, B-tch'!!
My point (besides maybe getting a chuckle out of someone?) is that- while I was crying, part of my concern was that the surgery would NOT be done, bc they would see my crying as a sign I was having 2nd thoughts....but that didn't seem to even cross their minds. I think they are very used to people getting emotional right before surgery. Hey,fortunately, most of us don't have much experience at having surgery, and this is DEFINITELY your first (and last!) hysterectomy..so the anxiety kicks in.
So, yeah, focus on the benefit, and how great it will be to not have all those nasty symptoms you've been dealing with, but be assured that if you do cry, it won't be a surprise to the nurses, it won't be the first time, and it won't put your surgery in jeopardy. I'm going to think of good things (and carry a couple kleenex, just in case!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register