Post-Op Day 11 - Doctor Visit - Not Good - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Day 11 - Doctor Visit - Not Good Post-Op Day 11 - Doctor Visit - Not Good

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Post-Op Day 11 - Doctor Visit - Not Good

Dear Mercredi,
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.I cannont believe that dr would be so stupid to do what he did to you with the needle and the rest without putting you to sleep or at least something to numb you.I sure hope you complain to someone about him.
I wish you all the best and hope everything starts healing, and I am so sorryyyyy that you are having so many things happen to you.I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM

(((Mercredi))) -- I'm so sorry to hear about this latest ordeal. My goodness....as if things weren't bad enough. Please take care.
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Oh my gosh, you poor thing. I really hope things get better for you soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Mercredi,

I am so sorry to hear about your kidney problems and I certainly understand why you will not be returning to the urologist. Here's hoping they get that kidney up and working again ASAP.
Unread 04-16-2008, 03:26 AM

Mercredi,

I too had a similar problem with my left ureter but they found it the day after my surgery while I was still at the hospital.

They found a stitch in my bladder/vaginal cuff was pressing on the ureter. They cut the stitch and put in a stent which solved the pee problem.

I go to have my stent removed and another cystology (sp?) on Monday at a surgery center. I will be asleep for the procedure.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:57 AM

Hi Mercredi;

boy!! you are really going thru a tough time sweetie

please know that you and your DH will be in my prayers....hang in there, and dont loose hope, and I am so happy that you have the support of your hubby...you will get thru this.....

blessings,
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:22 AM

Hi Mercredi and Redlocks - sounds like there is a ways to go before you are both back on track. All the best. My prayers are that you will have skilled drs who will get you to rights really soon. Hang in there.

Mercredi - fistula repair is done surgically. Fistulas are common in the third world and can also be caused by childbirth. If you want to know more about it, a couple of Aussie gynos, Dr Catherine Hamlin and her husband (now deceased) pioneered these ops and she still does them in Ethiopa all the time. She has featured on Oprah. I read her book "Hospital by the River" (very inspiring). Blessings, Alison
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:46 AM

Mecredi I think you have to look up these docs credentials before they send you to any more bumbling fools.What if they do more damage?Who are these people?You need cabable docters.I wish you could go to my doc.
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Thank you to all my hyster sisters. I agree with everything you said. You support is invaluable. I always want to be here for all of you. I follow your progress and root for you.

Shed, I agree about more damage. I kept saying I just had surgery. I was very worried he could inflict more damage. Heck, if they won't let you have sex at two weeks why would they want them raming tools up your vagina? The Dr. is a kook.

REDLOCKS38, what is a stint? Where you unable to pee? Is that why they ran tests and found out about the stich near your uretha? How did they get the stint iin?

My uretha was swollen shut yesterday. The Dr. pried it open with multiple tools that looked like long skinny skewers. Boy did that hurt. When he pried it open it still would not drain out the urine in my left kidney. So the blockage is somewhere between my left uretha and my lef kidney.

How did yu uretha get damaged in surgery? Any information you could share with me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. I hope you all have a great, restful day.
Unread 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Mercredi,
A stent is a long plastic tube thing they insert through your urethra up to your kidney so the ureter can drain to your bladder.

From what I remember, the day after the surgery ( I was very heavily medicated) I couldn't pee, so they sent me for a dye test in xray - they ran the dye through my veins then I had to wait a little bit then they took x-rays both standing and laying down with a special xray machine. Those tests showed the blockage in my ureter but it wasn't until they did the surgery that night that they found the stitch.

The stent was placed that night because they had to wait for food/fluids to be out of my system. They put me to sleep for the procedure as the gyn had to repair the cuff where the stitch was.

According to my surgery report, the first thing done was the cysto whatever it's called. He put it in and saw the stitch immediately. They did part of the procedure via lap in my belly button so they could snip the stitch. Apparently either the stitch from the cuff went through my bladder and was pressing on the ureter, or something to that nature - the report wasn't exactly clear on that.

I had a catherter for a couple of days after that, then they removed it before I was released.

The stent itself hasn't been pleasant, but hasn't been unbearable either. I do feel it and sometimes it feels like muscle spasms so I try to remember to keep ibuprofen in my system at all times because if I don't then the pain can get pretty rough and it's back to bed on the heating pad for several hours. However, it's important to note that as of last week they found part of the pain problem was a uti. They put me on antibiotics and the pain subsided a lot, though not completely.

In answer to your question, yes, my ureter was "kinked" during my hyst surgery. We won't know the full effect until next Monday when the stent is removed and the dye test is re-done so they can map where the fluid is travelling. The urologist explained that I would be put to sleep again, he'll put in the cysto whatever, put one color dye in one place and another color somewhere else and remove the stent and see how everything is working via the special xray. He said they will put a tampon in my vagina (yes, I was horrified when he told me that.... ) to make sure there is no fistula.

So, basically, I'm on hold until Monday. I'm hoping and praying that the stent allowed the ureter to heal and that I won't have to be re-stented or have to have the ureter re implantation in to my bladder. I just don't want to have to go through another major surgery and recovery, but that decision may be out of my hands. I just don't know yet.

On a positive note, hubby and I engaged in some "outer-course" and I am very happy to report that not only do I still have the "drive" but was able to achieve the big "O" as well which, according to my urologist was the next thing to look at. I am so very happy we were able to accomplish the "test" ourselves rather than the suction type test the uro was talking about because I would have had to absolutely say no to that.

So, chin up, you'll get through it. If you have to have a stent, just remember it's not unbearable, but uncomfortable and will help your ureter heal.

One more thing I found very interesting in my surgery report for my hyst was that my uterus upon removal was the size of an 8 -10 week pregnant uterus. I'd never heard of that terminology before.

Overall, I believe I made the right decision with my hyst and once all of the recovery is over with, I know I'll be happier and more able to enjoy life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register