Is a da Vinci hysterectomy the same as a laparoscopic hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is a da Vinci hysterectomy the same as a laparoscopic hysterectomy? Is a da Vinci hysterectomy the same as a laparoscopic hysterectomy?

Unread 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Is a da Vinci hysterectomy the same as a laparoscopic hysterectomy?

Is the Da Vinci the same as when the doc tells you they are doing "laprascopic hysterectomy" or are the two totally different procedures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
DaVinchi method

It is completely different. They make 4 or 5 (I had 5) puncture wounds in your abdomen where the insert the probes that cut and cauterize whatever parts you are having removed.
You can watch ORLivedotcom for the whole procedure. I did before I got mine done. Truly amazing.
Let me know what you think.
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:48 PM

DaVinci is a type of laprascopic.. but it is much more advanced. The way it was described to me is that the DaVinci robotic technique allows for much more normal range of motion .. whereas the older laprascopic methods the instruments can only move in two directions.

The DaVinci also allows for much greater viewing due to magnification and such fine manipulation that the surgeon can sample lymph nodes if necessary (for hysts for cancer or suspected cancer).

I didn't watch the video before my surgery.. didn't want to and didn't have a high speed connection anyhow.

For a surgery I really did NOT want to have, but really NEEDED to have.... the DaVinci was the very best alternative for me. I ended up with 6 small incisions.. they had some difficulty with my anatomy, so needed an extra port. Most people seem to get by with 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM

the newest daVinci gives the surgeon a hi-def (1080i) 3-D picture of what's in your abdomen—better than what he can see with an abdominal surgery.

I only had 4 incisions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register