LH and feeling defensive... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LH and feeling defensive... LH and feeling defensive...

Unread 04-16-2008, 09:40 AM
LH and feeling defensive...

Help..I have trouble responding when people make remarks about How they knew someone who had laproscopic hysterectemy and was back to work in a few weeks,or was allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. before the 6 week mark. I feel like they are implying that I am just taking time off like a vacation...Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM

My Doc told me she gives everyone six wks off because the healing is the same internally.She said she will release lap patients to work at 4wks with restrictions & only if they want to.Weight & exercise are restricted for 8wks.So tell whoever advises you that every situation is different,and you are following Drs orders.And if you enjoy you're time off work so be it.I sure have enjoyed mine!And I intend to be very careful about what I lift for life after this surgury because women get prolapses easier,my Mom & motherinlaw & sister had problems with that so I wont be playing hercules anymore in my future,I like my bladder & bowels where they are.I would just respond "I was told by my DR,....& if some still feel the need to put in their opinion just say,...."Maybe you're procedure wasnt as extensive as mine maybe you should ask you're dr about my case....Just kidding....I dont like when people tell others how they should recover.Fortunately the ladies I know are older & they recovered even longer than us,they dont think we should be out of be for 4wks,or drive for 2 mons.
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM

I went back to work 1 week post op... But on my terms. I come and go as I please until 6 week restrictions are up.

I also deal with a co-worker who had a hysterectomy and only had restrictions for 3 days and it just blows her mind. Just feel like asking her if she is sure that she had a hysterectomy. I've even given her the address to this site so she can see that she is not the norm. I'm suspecting that she had it done locally and done by a general surgeon rather then a gyn. She had it done before there were any gyn in the area, and all was taken care by a gp. I've dealt with the locals here, and never again. It was all a negative experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM

worried1961,
I am done the same way at work.A lady I work with said her daughter had a hysterctomy and was only out of work two weeks and that is all I would be out to.YEAH RIGHT!!!!
I was out of work for 8 weeks!!!
I still am recovering everyday, and I can tell my body is still not back all the way and I am 10 weeks along now.Not every person heals the same,and sometimes when I read the other sisters post on this site,I feel I am not doing as good as they are.Then again I read other posts and I am thankful the way I am healing.Alot of sisters are having a hard time,and I feel bad for them and wish them well.
So anyways, trust yourself on the healing process, and listen to NOONE but your self and your dr.I wish you well and my thoughts will be with you.
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM

It has worried me somewhat to post how easy recovery has been for me and how well I am doing because I know the pain and struggles some of the sisters are going through and it sounds very insensitive and show-offy. Also being very superstitious I worry I might jinx myself so I usually post this part of my story in the pre-op section to give the newbies some encouragement. I can understand you feeling defensive. This is not a Recovery Contest and no, you are not "shirking off" or taking a vacation. Curious thing is I have noticed that most of us recover as and when our doctor tells us we can. My doc said you will (yes "WILL" not "SHOULD") be up and about next day but resting plenty- doing most normal activities by day 3 - driving by day 5 and back to work in a week. She said it just like that - bang-bang-bang. She sounded so sure about it - no "ifs" and "buts", so I gave it no second thought and this is exactly the way my recovery panned out. Maybe it was the power of auto-suggestion?? If she had said - take it easy, give yourself time, or whatever, I would have done exactly that.
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM

My doctor discussed it with me first and is letting me do two weeks of no work, then four weeks of part-time work from home. She would have written for me to be off the whole six weeks, but I don't have that much leave. And the stuff I can do from home is stuff that can be done in 15 minute increments. No one at my work is making me feel bad about any of it. Maetigger is right about the internal healing. I wouldn't let any of the people who are saying that stuff get to you.
Unread 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Thank You all for your support. My job is physically demanding.I work in a cafe where there is myself,another lady,and a manager who doesn't stick around to help.We are on our feet 7 1/2 hours a day.Bending,lifting racks of dishes,pulling hotel pans of food in and out of ovens or refrigerators,putting soup kettles on,prepping,cleaning(mopping ,sweeping,taking trash downstairs...I think you get the idea....anyway I believe that when I get back to work people will expect me to be 100%.They don't understand that after 6 weeks of not lifting over 10 lbs. I will need to work into it...I truly hope most are as understanding as you ladies are.
Thank_You
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:00 AM

Let me tell you something. I felt as if I could go back to work two or three weeks ago. I couldn't understand why people stayed out so long with lapro. I was having a blast at home, watching TV, taking short walks, playing online poker...I felt great.

Well, I returned to work yesterday. Ended up leaving around 2:30 because around 2:00 I hit a wall. I literally felt like I'd been run over by a truck. We'll see how today goes. But at this point, I wish I had taken the full 6 weeks.

So don't let anyone else tell you how it is supposed to work with a lapro. Everyone is different, and it is still major surgery.
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Looks like you got lots of good input. I think it would be very difficult to be on you're feet all day bending & lifting.Even at 5wks when I am on my feet to long I feel pulling.So I am sure it will take some getting used to.Do walk as much as you can to keep in shape & prepared.That's the only exercise my doc allows.& I agree that leaves the rest of you abs,arms a little weak.When you're abs are weak it affects you're back so its particulary vunerable to strain until you recover & can shape up abs a little.So when you do go back remember bend from the knee not the waist to lift.It is really in appropriate for anyone to tell you how you should recover,even our Drs give us guidelines but each person does heal differently,you're health,stressors at home,all can play a roll to.So dont worry about what anyone has to say.
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM

Good Lord! Some people ... ;-) How about a sweet smile and a response like, "Thank you for being so supportive> It makes all the difference in the world, bless your heart." Only YOU know your limits ... take care of yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register