Walking and moving around post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking and moving around post-op Walking and moving around post-op

Unread 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Walking and moving around post-op

I am getting terribly confused by all reports saying things such as 'after 4 weeks I started walking outside'.. I walked 20 minutes outside on day 3. I am now on day 8 and am walking more than an hour per day. I can move around freely.. bend over without hurting and get in and out of bed without any trouble. Also, I sat on a spinn bike and soft pedalled for half an hour, and did not experience any pain or tiredness after this.
So, I am wondering where is the scientific data supporting all this 'no walk, no move' recommendations. It says 'no dusting', well, I would think that would be a perfect activity. Should it not be good to gently move to prevent adhesions and provide optimized healing? I had an abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Miss Sherlock Holmes here is trying to unravel the very same mystery. What did your doc say - what were your post-op instructions?
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM

My doctor, knowing that I am a competitive ultra-distance cyclist, exercising more than 20 hours per week, told me to not bike for 6 weeks, But I think there is a difference between training hard outside on a bike, and soft pedalling on a spinner.
I asked him about using stomach muscles to get out of bed, and he said that it was all right, as long as I don't do my sit-ups. I have a follow-up appointment with him on Friday and will ask more then.
I am not taking any pain medication, since I want to listen to my body, and the pain medication would make me feel better than I am. I can manage fine without, just a bit of cramping when I need to do 'big business' at the bathroom. No bleeding since day 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM

I think it depends on surgery, patient and dr. I was told no lifting,bending etc. for a few wks. I felt good but made sure I was careful about bending and stretching and laid down when tired. I was released 5 wks. yesterday and I believe part of the reason I'm doing so well is because I was careful but not a couch potato. Walking is recommended for recovery but I noticed some recover faster than others and because of extent of surgeries they may be more limited in activity.
Glad you're doing good but I'd be careful that you don't unknowingly hurt yourself inside.
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM

I think it also depends on what type of surgery you had.
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM

I think I may have some of this figured out since I asked my Dr.

Walking is great exercise, as long as your body can handle it. Your body will tell you when it has had enough. Each of us are different.

Some of us are more conditioned that others. Some of us have more Post-Op complications that others. Since their are not generic Post-Op body conditions Drs. issue these standard across-the-board exercise constraints.'

We also have internal stiches and Post-Op traumatized organs that need to heal. While we may feel great during Post-Op, the body has undergone a major event and needs time to restore internal tissue and organs.

Without proper healing time, you may risk internal bleeding, ahesions from improper healing, and other long-term effects which may effect your life for a long time.

So that is what I have been told. It makes sense to me.
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM

I have not seen any risk estimates of internal bleeding, and similar, and how many of these have been due to lifting a heavy object after operation, or moving around too much. Does anyone know. NOt that I plan on lifting heavy stuff for a while, but I do have a hard time staying still. I am continually moving.
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Hey I feel a little offended here. Just because some are healing at great rates ,doesnt mean everyone should.It depends on your own body,the surgery,after surgery complications,etc on the amount of time of healing.I trust in my dr and it seems that alot of studies seem to have been done to recommend the 6 weeks.I think this is so not because you might be feeling great on the outside, but because there is alot of healing, stitches,etc. going on inside your body.My dr says this to avoid any complications in the long run,and to have a healing period on the inside as well.
It took me 8 weeks to even feel a little normal, and I am still tired and in the recovery time, and its not because I was a couch potato.
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
no reason to feel offended

Dear Shannon2,
No reason to feel offended, because obviously the doctors recommendations are right for you. I am simply trying to figure out what is right for me, and all recommendations are indicating pretty much doing nothing for the first 6 weeks apart from walking. I am not trying to impress, offend or anything like that about my recovery, but I get concerned when everyone tells me to do 'nothing' when my body is telling me otherwise.
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM

I think if I'd just had a hysterectomy I would have been active a lot sooner but it was hard to even walk much without feeling like you had a million knives poking you in the private parts due to the a/p repairs. Now at 6 weeks I'm walking my normal, fast pace, which feels great, but I still get abdominal twinges which lets me know I need to pace myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register