Walking and moving around post-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking and moving around post-op Walking and moving around post-op

Unread 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
...wondering the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBerge
I am getting terribly confused by all reports saying things such as 'after 4 weeks I started walking outside'.. I walked 20 minutes outside on day 3. I am now on day 8 and am walking more than an hour per day. I can move around freely.. bend over without hurting and get in and out of bed without any trouble. Also, I sat on a spinn bike and soft pedalled for half an hour, and did not experience any pain or tiredness after this.
So, I am wondering where is the scientific data supporting all this 'no walk, no move' recommendations. It says 'no dusting', well, I would think that would be a perfect activity. Should it not be good to gently move to prevent adhesions and provide optimized healing? I had an abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed.
Hi Catberge, I've been wondering the same thing...but I've actually been scared to post/ask it on here. It seems like whenever someone is posting about pain or not doing well, everyone rallies around them, but the minute someone wants to talk about how well they're doing, then...well, the response just seems to be different.

I know that tone and inflection are lost in the transmission of the written text, but I want to be able to post about my 'good' recovery without feeling like I'm trying to hurt someone's feelings or like I'm being neglegent with my recovery. Can't I come to hystersisters and get the same good support with an excellent recovery? It sometimes feels like the 'skinny' girl at the weight watchers meeting who is getting evil glances for wanting to learn the CORRECT way to lose her last five pounds (how DARE she?).

I'm sorry to vent here, but yes, I'm a bit hormonal - lol - and since I was here anyway, I just thought I'd get that out...speaking of being hormonal, what is up with the ATTITUDES of those cashiers at wal-mart?

...i digress, at my staple removal (1 week post-op) my dr told me to let my body be my guide. Of course, I got the standard "no lifting, no marathons or triathlons, no sex, etc", but he made it a point to tell me that while I should pamper myself and take it easy because I'd had MAJOR surgery, I should also make sure to get moving to assist in the healing process - but that was only MY doctor's instructions for MY body. There seem to be a lot of past stories on here about sisters that ran into MAJOR problems from doing too much too soon, but is it possible...again, just asking if it's POSSIBLE that some people are going to have problems REGARDLESS of what they do? I guess I'm saying that of the sisters who have had major problems after their surgery, is it ALWAYS tied to something they did? For instance, some people are just genetically predisposed to form excessive scar tissue or to keloid...even if they lie in bed for six weeks. I dunno, I'm just asking here, not trying to stir up anything or to offend anyone, I just want to know because, well, I'm healing too...and all this time pampering myself makes me start dwelling on things like what's going on in my body. Again, I'm not trying to offend, I'm writing this with a smile...but I just want to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Walking and moving around post-op

GoldEElocks,
YOU GO GIRL!! I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. At Hystersisters the Weepy Willows get the hugs and Cheerleaders get the snubs. Don't sing "I feeeel good - tra-la la la la" from the rooftops
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Goldeelocks and Ponchito, (you all sound like kid storybook characters) You both make me laugh, thanks for that and I say to you both that you are right on. The Weepy need the hugs, so maybe there needs to be a thread for the cheerleaders and a thread for the willows (that description cracks me up!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Wow, nice to hear you guys. I feel pretty good too, most of the time and started to do some small chores in the house (fixing dinner, doing laundry using a grabber, fixing my bed, etc.) and I felt so guilty of doing so. I also started to lower myself on one knee to be able to reach items at the bottom of the fridge and live on a two storey home so I have to use the stairs a few times a day. I wasn't doing any of that for the first 3-wks, but slowly started doing more and so far so good. I think we need to listen to our surgeon and listen to our body. It's pretty good at telling me when to stop.
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM

I don't like to post on post-op board because I am doing really well and a lot aren't. It's hard to post,"Hey, doing great. Dr. released me at 4 1/2 wks." knowing a lot of them aren't so fortunate. I still take it easy though, no sense in pushing good fortune.
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM

I am thrilled you are doing great. I know that in my Post-Op recovery team we celebrate such wonderful news. Not only are you are sister in this thing called recovery but good news inspries others.

Congratulations. I am happy for you. Thank you for sharing that with us. Have a good night.
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM

Sisters,
thank you for your comforting replies. I sat and soft pedalled on the spinn bike today, and it actually feels better than walking. I feel better when I move like that. I will not worry as much.
Cat
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Well......I am am one of the sisters that had MAJOR post op complications. I might also add that I am an athlete myself. Having said that my Dr ensured me many times that I did NOTHING to cause the issues - it just sometimes happens. So to the poster above you're right issues don't ALWAYS happen from doing too much - but they can.

I think to everyone else's point - each person heals in their own time. Because I had so many complications I've been around a bit longer than most and I've seen it all. Athletes who heal fast and slow, average women who heal fast and slow and fluffy women who heal fast and slow. Each patient is so individual and each Dr and patient team can work together to come up with the best plan for that person.

A good runner friend of mine was back running on the 3rd week after her TVH. I had an expectation then being that I was as fit as her that I would follow the same course. How humbling when I did not. I was one of the weepy willows. I did need the support as I was devastated by the ongoing complications and second major surgery. Most days the ladies here kept me going and my spirits high. On the other hand I can totally see how you ladies feel about hugs vs sneers thing. I don't think it is anyone's attention to do that. I think those going through a hard time feel alone and are more opt to post and reach out for help opinions and hugs. So naturaly there are more posts that way. I know my posts about my large weight loss and needing help to gain it back didn't recieve much attention, but I cannot take that personally.

And now for you athletic minded people - let me just share some fun news - I am 9 weeks out this next Friday from my second major abdominal surgery and I am back to running - and I'm going to boot camp 3X week. So you will get it back. Some of us just have to wait longer than others

Starbgirl
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM

You sisters inspire me so much! I can sit here and imagine you exercising. I am thirlled.

Starbgirl, I am sorry you had complications. Are you okay now? What's a boot camp? Is it for running?

I know I will be back in exercise mode someday soon. I look at my TM and elliptical and tell them "soon." Exercise is good for both the body and the soul.
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM

It most definitely has a lot to do with what procedures you had done. I currently still have a large open wound where my perineum used to be that is healing from the inside out. I have weekly visits with my doctor. Right now the best I can do is about 1 1/2 hours in the stores - OR - some light housework and/or laundry. I was on complete 100% bedrest for the first two weeks. I'm 5 weeks postop right now and am still on disability until 12 weeks and I am weeks away, if not months away from getting on any kind of bike. I worked out daily and lost 40 pounds just getting ready for this surgery. I'm bored out of my mind now because I can't do so many of the things that I enjoy doing. But it is what it is. I listen to my body and only do what I can do. There are a lot of us out there that had different procedures and have different recoveries.

We're very happy for those who bounce right back after their surgery. However, there does need to be some sensitivity to those of us that had more complicated surgeries and complicated recoveries.

The restrictions some doctors give are mostly guidelines. The bottom line is to listen to your own body. If it causes stress or pain, don't do it. If you can function normally without pain.....that great! Keep up the good work.

For those of us with more complicated recoveries......it's one day at a time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register