Walking and moving around post-op - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking and moving around post-op Walking and moving around post-op

Unread 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Walking and moving around post-op

Hi Ladies ~ Enjoyed this post site. I have posted a few times, but not a lot because I had it so easy. I had a TAH, kept ovaries, on March 6. I was walking since the day after surgery several times up and down the hospital halls. The nurses couldn't believe it. I was in good physical shape prior to surgery and heard the more you walk the better you'll heal. So I walked and walked and walked. My doc said to just listen to my body and make sure that I rest when I feel I need to. I had my post op at 4 weeks and was cleared for everything. He said that I healed nicely both inside and out. My incision was a bikini one and it has not bothered me at all. I have been in my regular clothes all along. This was my first surgery and I was scared. I am glad that I came out of it so well. It is good to hear about others that have recovered so well. Thanks for the post CatBerge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM

For me I had a ton of repair work done so for me I may have to wait a little longer to really go for long walks or hit the treadmill my dr did say by week 3 if I felt OK I could start out. I agree depends on the person, surgery etc
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Hey everybody, I'm so happy for those that are having a great recovery. My heart goes out to those that are having complications. I have a good day & then a bad day, so can I be on the willows & the cheerleader thread ?

I had some repair work done too, & the idea of sitting on a bike right now makes my eyes water & my stomach do flip flops. I'm 3 weeks out tomorrow, & I'm still sitting slowly & gently on the couch or recliner & bed. I'm just excited because as of tomorrow (per Dr's strict instructions) I can finally reach for the top shelf in my kitchen. Sounds ridiculous but I made her repeat the instructions several times. One more week & I can push my own grocery cart.

The thing I miss most is my 4 mile walk every day, thru the hills. I walked 30 minutes the day before yesterday, it felt wonderful, but later that evening, I was nauseous, exhausted, & hurting everywhere. I knew the next time I walked I should keep it to 15 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM

I think it is important for women to know that they don't HAVE to be down and out for several weeks! I think it is empowering to know that there is hope for speedy recovery. Just because you're feeling well enough to do all these things, doesn't mean you still can't take advantage of pampering. I can't stand to be cooped up and waited on. I was so glad to be able to do so much at an early stage. BUT my husband and kids didn't know what all I was capable of. I was very selective in what I did and when I did it. Just because I could do laundry and cook, didn't mean I wanted to do it all, all the time right away.

Listen to your own body, but don't be afraid to try. For me, the longer I sat around, the harder it was to get going again.
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:06 PM

It's nice that we can share both our good and bad experiences with one another on this site. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm ten days out and feel like I dodged a bullet or something. I know I've got lots more healing to do, but I'm feeling really well. I think it's important for those sisters with surgeries coming up to know that not everyone has complications,etc. I'm aching to get back to the animals I care for at the wildlife refuge, and hearing some of your stories gives me hope that I might be able to be back there sooner than I had feared. I'm not about to do anything foolish, but if things continue to heal as well as they have so far, I won't stay away just because of some artificial timetable.
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:16 PM

I just took the time to read through this entire thread. GoldEElocks...thanks for saying what many of us have been feeling. I was "scolded" for my quick recovery, too. I'm not down on anyone for taking it slow. I just wish I could have read more of these positive experiences BEFORE my surgery, so I would have known how good it could be. Then I wouldn't have worried so much!

I don't think anyone should feel offended by someone else's positive report! I don't think Cat came on one of your threads and told you you should be doing more. I think it's a little offensive to imply she's wrong for asking good questions about doing what feels good/right for her. She is obviously in excellent condition physically, so what is a strain for some of the rest of us, would be a walk in the park for her. Some of you need to not take it so personally when someone else is recovering quickly and easily!

Sorry if I offended anyone....it just gets on my nerves like GoldEE said that we rally around those that have problems, but don't celebrate with those who do well! I think we NEED to get the word out to the upcoming sisters that the whole hyster process CAN be a very positive experience without complication or difficulty! Then they might not be so fearful going into it!

Go sisters!!
Unread 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm one of the slow healers. #1. I have Marfan Syndrome, a connective tissue disease...my tissue is weakened. #2. Because of the MS, reconstructive surgery was required. It was an overhaul of a surgery.

It definitely is individual as to the length of recovery. I was told 8 weeks, which will be next wed. to not lift heavier than my cell phone, I'm still wearing the abdominal band, and taking pain medication.

I'm also in the middle of getting scheduled to have my defibrillator/pacemaker device replaced...the battery is low and the alarm sounded on April 8th. (another story).

I went through the guessing of when I should be moving full throttle with my healing. I had to decide to accept my pace of healing. I think the worse thing we can do to ourselves is compare where we are in relation to another's progress.

I don't believe anyone on here is trying to out do or suggest there is something wrong with you if you aren't where they are.

We do need to heed our doctor's recommendation no matter how great our brain thinks we are doing. A stitch could pop, mesh could push through, or in the case of reconstruction, you can actually reverse the repair. So we have to be very careful not to follow our mind over our doctor's instructions.

I saw my doctor yesterday and he said to expect soreness and tenderness for 3 more months. I believe this to be true in my case. If I bend or stretch, I get pain that feels like raw burning pain, and then acheness. For me, I have to be very careful.

Listen to your body and when it says, "Okay, that's enough." Stop and take it easy. We will get through this. Pansy
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Hi Ladies, this is a great thread. I am a little over a week out from my TAH and feeling great. I'm lucky and have had no complications. I was so worried pre-op after reading thru many of the posts that I wouldn't be able to get off the sofa, that I took my mom up on her offer to fly out to help. I was feeling well enough to go for lunch most days and we even made a short trip to the mall one day. Last nite we went for dinner and I was even able to stay awake! I was feeling almost guilty, or that I was somehow overdoing it (even though my own body wasn't complaining) until I found this thread. Thanks for posting.
Unread 04-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Ok, I'm a little ignorant with all the abbreviations sometimes, but what is A&P Repair? I, too, feel like knives poking in the private parts if I've walked a long time and have a pain in my right side that throbs and hurts and then when I rest will go away? Anyone having those kind of post-op pains?
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:08 PM

A/P repairs are anterior (front) and posterior (back) repairs....I had cystocele (falling bladder) and rectocele (rectum protruding into vagina) due to separated muscles in those areas. Sometimes the are able to stitch the muscles back together, other times they use other materials to patch the separations.

I would definitely say your pains are your body telling you it's time to rest, but I think the pain is still normal at this point. Unless it's excruciating. If you are concerned, ask your dr. about it, though....that's what you've paid him/her for!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register