Walking and moving around post-op - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking and moving around post-op Walking and moving around post-op

Unread 04-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Walking and moving around post-op

hi hysttn, your surgery was just after my surgery. If this is pain that has been there since you returned home from the hospital and it is gradually getting better, I would say, don't fret. This is your body and your tissue. Time and patience is what you need. As long as you eat a good diet, walk, and only lift or do what your doctor has cleared you to do, you are on the right track. I know the feeling....when I get up for the day, stir around, and stay active, I'm reminded by late afternoon it's time to rest and take a pain pill. The two incision sites for my bladder sling starts throbbing and my abs start aching. It takes a lot of energy to heal, so if I get the signal to rest, I do it. All of my post-op checkups are good, I'm healing as I should at this stage, considering my tissue. I was told Thursday to expect tenderness and soreness for another 3 months, this was my 7wk post-op visit with the Urologist. I told him, I just want to make sure the pain/discomfort I'm having is normal and he confirmed it. So good communication with your doctor will help you know where you are supposed to be for the kind of surgery you had. Pansy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2008, 09:46 AM

I am now 3 weeks post-op and I feel pretty good the first couple of days I was in pain but while in the hospital I did walk up and down the hallways. My recovery has its good and bad days I just do as much as I can and then rest awhile. For the last week I have been helping with dinner and washing dishes, going outside for walks and even went shopping at the mall its hard to do nothing. I am happy that so many of you have had good recoverys, but like so many sisters have said listen to your bodys.

Good luck to all.
Unread 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM

I think the recovery has to do with your surgery. I was in surgery 6 hours. I had a TAH/BSO with some of my organs stuck together due to endometrosis. I will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I hate sitting around and was an avid walker every day at least 2 miles. I get up now and try to walk around in the backyard and my body says whoa. You may feel like you can jump right back into your pre-hospital routine but I would say use caution. If you had a TAH your risk for getting a hernia are higher than the normal person. The body is a great machine, but it also needs tender loving care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandpurses
I think the recovery has to do with your surgery. I was in surgery 6 hours. I had a TAH/BSO with some of my organs stuck together due to endometrosis. I will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I hate sitting around and was an avid walker every day at least 2 miles. I get up now and try to walk around in the backyard and my body says whoa. You may feel like you can jump right back into your pre-hospital routine but I would say use caution. If you had a TAH your risk for getting a hernia are higher than the normal person. The body is a great machine, but it also needs tender loving care!
shoesandpurses - Amen. Everybody's recovery is different. We all have different bodies and even though we have the same type of surgery as others, that doesn't mean we will heal the same. I had a TAH and my large fibroid had attached to a couple of my organs and I wasn't lucky enough to get a bikini cut, I was cut down the belly. So, I was warned by my doctor to take it very easy. When I went to get my staples out and was asking my doctor different questions, the last thing she said before I left her office was "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY".

So, that's exactly what I did. She told my husband not to expect me to do any housework.
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I too was cut from hip bone to hip bone, but once they got in there they needed a little more elbow room, so then they cut me up my abdominal muscle on the inside. I was told to take it very very easy, which is hard. But you know what they say....slow and steady wins the race! God Bless paula
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:54 PM

I approached this site as being able to post good & bad. Some people post more than others do rather their doing good or bad. My Dr said you will have good days & bad days & he was right. I truly think this has been the best site to aid in my recovery!

I think it is wonderful for those who are back to normal in record time! It has allowed me to see that this will not last forever.
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Hey, I feel the same way.......I have been walking outside since Postop day 2 and today is day 5.....just went on my third short walk of the day....I guess it is about 10 min....on flat driveway that I have...the weather is gorgeous and I rest when I come inside. I also have a sprained left ankle and that has not stopped me in the least.
Good luck.
My doc said walking as tol in small doses with rests in between.
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:33 PM

My doctor told me to get up everyday and get dressed - no pajamas or sweats. He said to do whatever I could without sex or heavy lifting. I was shocked and he explained that my body would tell me to sit down or nap, but movement, no matter how slow was important as well as the mental. Thus getting dressed.

My daughter had knee surgery and I was mad at her because she was faster on her crutches than I was on my feet. I told her to go slow so I wouldn't look so lame and people would think I was walking slow and hunched over to keep pace with her!

I still get exhausted and still appreciate a nap, but I think he may have been right about "pretending I was normal". And yes, everyone does heal at their own rate so no competition here - just support from some great, open and honest women! This website was a godsend. Thanks.
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
20 days post surgery

Hi girls,
It is me again. Short update
I had an important conference last week, I flew from WA to Kentucky and participated in the conference, that involved making contact with a potential company for employment. My doctor had given okey for me to fly, but warned me that I might feel tired.
Needless to say, I was a bit worried how I would cope with the long flights, and active days. I felt great. There were many times I forgot I had surgery 10 days earlier. I was only reminded at times when those 'bowels were moving', and I had to seek rest room with cramps. I did not take pain medication, for fear of that I would not be able to listen to my body when it would get tired and hurting.

I am getting movement (I can not say exercise, since my doctor says I can not exercise) at least twice a day, and now that days are sunny, I walk over an hour in the morning and in the afternoons I have been reading a book while sitting and soft pedalling on the spinn bike. I feel better after having moved. Finally now at day 20 those BMs don't hurt as much.
I used milk of magnesium the first week to soften the stools and that sure helped. Getting of the pain killers allow me to listen to my body and prevents constipation.
The last few days I have had some tension headache... don't know if that is post-surgery, or just too much going on in my life right now.
I have over 3 years of photos to finish off during my recovery, but I find the days flying by, and between walks, eating etc.. not too much time for those photos.
I am sleeping a lot. I go to bed at 9 am, and don't get up before my cats starts becoming a pest at 7 am.

So... girl friends, I hope and pray that you are recovering well, and that regardless of where you are and the rate of recovery, that you seize the day and make the best of it.

Cheers,
Cat.
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Hello ladies!
Post op day 11,,,,,driving short distances makes me feel more "normal", but I do have to take rest periods. I am continuing with Ibuprofen 800mg and stool softeners.....had another BM this morning that was normal....did not "hurt" at all........(I think some of it was my nerves).......
Incisions are healing well. The "swellybelly" is there already today.......but is usually gone in the morning when I awake. I am sleeping well......
I even hung some laundry and emptied the dishwasher......no problems.
Hang in there ladies...............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register