Walking and moving around post-op - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking and moving around post-op Walking and moving around post-op

Unread 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
How much is too much? I can't sit still!!

I'm so glad this conversation has started! I'm a runner and had a TAH on April 23rd. I'm one week after surgery and feel great except I think my body is in pain from sitting still! Can this be? I'm so tired of hearing everyone say, "JUST RELAX"! I needed pain meds in the hospital from my back hurting from laying down all those hours, not my abdomen. I want to really move around and take a long walk and get moving on my elliptical machine at least. I'm so afraid of making anything worse though. I absolutely CANNOT have any issues that will make me have to sit down any more than I already am. I can tell my abdomen is not strong enough for a run, but I know I can walk. Is anyone else having problems SITTING STILL??? I've never sat still. I am really in pain from sitting still.

Oh, and just to get an idea...how long did it take any of you to get back to your ab exercises? Just thinking about crunches, lifts, situps, etc makes me cringe right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Walking and moving around post-op

Leaf -

I am 11 weeks out now from my second surgery, which included a hip to hip abdominal incision. I was one of those poor souls who had major complications after my Nov TVH.

I am also a runner. I started an exercise boot camp 3X a week at about 7 1/2 weeks out. I have been doing tons of sit-ups (hundreds!), crunches, planks you name it along with all the other toture that comes with a boot camp - LOL!! I have also been running now 2 miles at a time 3-4 days a week. I plan to finish up May by getting to 3 miles regularly, and then the sky's the limit!! I feel great. My abs do get a bit more sore than other body parts but nothing extreme and nothing that feels like an injury.

BTW - all of this was done with my Dr's approval. I was very fit before all this surgery stuff started. My Dr & I bonded over exercise because he is a runner / cyclist also. I know some Dr's on here say no abs until after 12 weeks but when I asked my Dr about that he totally disagreed. You should check with yours though as only they know what they did to you.

Good luck - you'll be back at it before you know it!!

Starbgirl
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM

My surgical recovery team told me that a good rule of thumb is a (one) five minute walk every hour, if tolerated. I was told that frequent, small intervals are much better than one longer interval. Dr said to start when I could manage it and as soon as I felt pain in my abdomen---generally the time it takes for liquid to pool--to stop. A sign of overdoing it is also sweating. He said the average time for most women was 5 to 10 mins of continuous walking.

Also my instructions say no riding in car for 1 week, drive at 2 weeks, heavy lifting of 10 pounds after 3 weeks, gentle sex after 3 weeks, treadmill after 3 weeks.

This was for an LAVH/BSO with "cele" and a scraping of polyps from the septum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks Starbgirl! I have the abdominal incision from a TAH. Well, I'm one week out now, so I am looking forward to some good exercise by about week 7 or 8 if I'm anything like you! I do a boot camp type work out too and there is a LOT of ab work! It feels like it will take me forever to get back up to the numbers I was doing before. Were you able to add numbers quickly once you started into the program again?
Unread 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Yes - I'm surprised how quickly I am gaining back both strength and tone. I was super depressed. Because of all the complications I was down for the count - no exercise from the second week in October until just this stuff now. So I thought it would take forever to get it back. I had a shoulder injury previous that's screwing up my push up's but other than that it is going good. I just listen to my body and do how many I can that day of whatever were doing and each week it's more. Interestingly enough the plank hurts my incision the most - like a pulling feeling but my Dr assures me that it will not open so I quit worrying about it and that feels much better now too!!

Listen, after all I went through if I can get it back there is hope for everyone - LOL!!!!

Smiles

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register