Bladder infection ~ is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder infection ~ is this normal? Bladder infection ~ is this normal?

Unread 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Bladder infection ~ is this normal?

I had my TVH and ToT bladder suspension done on March 20th.I am 4 weeks post op today. I am doing ok with my hysterectomy but when I went to the doctor today I had a bladder infection. Is this normal? Could it be caused from my surgery or from my bladder not emptying all the way? I feel like I am emptying most of the time. if anyone else has had this problem please let me know. I don't want to worry everyday that I am not emptying my bladder completely. That would be to stressful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM

I also had a bladder infection along with a vagianl cuff infection. I also felt like I was emptying. I had a different hyster and no bladder suspension. I'm not sure how I got them. I took my scrip and I feel alot better! Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM

i had a bad one at 2 weeks out, i was cathed a bunch in the hospital cause my bladder didnt work properly for the first 3 days, & when i went in the Nurse said she was not surprised atall that i had an infection, cause of the caths. so maybe thats whats goin on with you too. also all that mooving the bladder around sometimes causes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 04:35 AM

yellowtulip

I'm sorry you're experiencing this but urinary tract infections can be quite common following hysterectomy surgery, unfortunately.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? If not, you'll find it absolutely packed with information, including many dozens of articles ~ with one on this subject, too.

Please don't hesitate to contact your doctor again if you're at all concerned or feel things aren't improving. Take care!

Unread 04-18-2008, 06:47 AM

Thank you all. I am glad i am not the only one and I haven't done something wrong. its so scary when your doctor doesn't tell you everything that could happen and then when it does you freak out. I love this site it has helped alot.
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Hiya!

I had a complete hyst and bladder repair on 4-4-08. I have yet to return for my post op visit, although I plan to go in early next week. I was very disappointed when I discovered after surgery that the doc had removed my ovaries, which was not part of my plan. He assurred me that he would only take them if they appeared "diseased." I have had minimal discomfort from the actual hyst, but if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I probably would have chosen to honkerblonk all over myself rather than have that bladder repair. I have been miserable since the surgery because of the intense difficulty with urination. I do not believe I have a bladder infection, but I have had severe urinary frequency followed by the feeling of being unable to completely empty my bladder. I am happy to say that I it is finally getting easier to void, although I am not back to my old self yet. I, personally, would describe last week as psychological torture, in as much as I constantly felt the strong urge to urinate, but could only go a little bit at a time. It may not have been so bad, had I had any idea what to expect. To reiterate, I feel sure I am finally on the road to recovery. I don't mean to sound negative, but maybe my input will encourage others to ask more questions about the bladder repair prior to undergoing the procedure. I hope this helps. RubySlippers521
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:45 PM

I had lavh/bso/ap repairs. I also had a couple of uti's, the first being right after I got my take-home catheter out. My dr said they were very common. The more I read about them on here and how common they really are, the more I thought it would be appropriate if dr's handed out a script for an antibiotic "just in case" or even put us on a round of them post-op. It would have saved my dr an early Sunday morning phone call!
Unread 04-18-2008, 11:33 PM

It was suggested before my hysterectomy that i needed a TVT sling procedure too. After much research on the procedure I chose not to have it. My bladder leakage issues seem better now since my surgery and my Dr said sometimes that is the case after a hysterectomy. I do feel that if I had of had the TVT sling procedure that I would have been one of those to have problems. Just having something like a catheter in my bladder gave me an infection that I had trouble healing from. I can imagine having the sling procedure I would probably still be having problems. I am glad that I listened to my inner self this time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register