anyone else with shoulder and lung pain after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone else with shoulder and lung pain after surgery anyone else with shoulder and lung pain after surgery

Unread 04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
anyone else with shoulder and lung pain after surgery

OK so my hyster was in Jan and I went in again on April 10th and they took out the remaining ovary due to cyst and scar tissue I am now 1 week ppost from that and I am still having terrible shoulder pain and when I take a deep breath in I can actually feel a pop in my right side by my lung. So I am going to DR tomorow gp not gyn but I really just need to hear if anyone else has had this problem so far out. My Gyn said it was anesthesia and I needed to be patient. I figured a few days not a week plus any suggestions would be great I cant lay down or recline without severe shoulder pain. And like I said if I take a deep breath I feel a pop in my lung! it is scary no fever to speak of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM

I didn't from this surgery, but from a surgery before, I had horrible pains in my shoulders, & around my collarbone. I don't remember exactly how long it lasted, but I'm sure it was more than a few days. I wish I could help with the popping part, but I can't. Gentle hugs.
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM

drove me absolutely CRAZY! and the pain meds never touched it. i was afraid they damaged my shoulder in some way. i just had to wait it out, it was like 1.5 weeks i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM

I had similar pains after laps. It is from the gas used during surgery that escapes up and causes so much pain and sharp aches! It will get better and is very normal actually!!! It should slowly start to fade after a week--that was my experience. Hang in there! Be gentle with yourself.
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:37 PM

I have those same pains after surgery and they are due to the gases used during surgery. After my hyst last month the nurse told me that if I laid on the side that was hurting it would help work the gases out. I had less pain this time than ever before. Hope this helps, get to feeling better soon!
Unread 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Yep, I had both of those things -- it felt like one gas bubble was sitting in my shoulder and one was sitting on my diaphragm. jrc5 is right that it helps to lie on the same side as the pain (it took me a while to figure that out). Moving around as much as possible also helps. Mine is nearly gone for now and I hope that's it.
Unread 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM

a heating pad worked for me -walk around with one tucked under my bra strap for a week!!
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM

I am sure it is just due to the lap but I am glad that you are seeing your dr.
There have been some instances of pulmonary embolisms(blood clots). Chances are your pain is just from surgery but better to be on the safe side.
Good luck with your appt.
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:58 PM

My DH just about freaked when I put his hand on my lower lung and not only did he feel the pop but heard it. So it is defenitly is worth seeing the dr about
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

I agree. Good luck and keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register