pain meds post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain meds post op pain meds post op

Unread 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
pain meds post op

I know everyone is different and everyone heals at different rates, but I am surprised at how so many people only need ibuprofen or something of similar strength so soon after surgery. They stress so much about not letting your pain get ahead of you, but how do you know when you can not take the vicodin or what ever they sent you home with and just take the ibuprofen. I don't want to just jump and take the vicodin when ibuprofen might be enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
pain meds post op

With me it was trial & error. My Dr gave me 40 percocet, with instructions to take them every 4-6 hours as needed. I figured thats 6 per 24 hour period, so my Dr was guessing I'd need them for 6 days. Around day 3 or 4, when I hurt I'd take a motrin, & see if it helped. I found it didn't help enough. I tried cutting my percocet in half, & taking them every 2-3 hours when needed. By doing that, I ended up going 4-5 hours in between taking 1/2. Each day it was later in the day before I needed even 1/2.

HTH I wish you speedy recovery.
Unread 04-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Post op meds

Hello,

I was prescribed an antibiotic and Norco. I have not used the Norco once. I have experienced very little pain and discomfort.

Most of my friends who had a hysterectomy and family members did not have pain either.

One of my friends had an abdominal hysterectomy and she was sore with pain, but the assisted laparoscopic seems to be less evasive and less painful.

I usually used Extra strength Tylenol for any breakthrough pain.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
pain meds post op

My doctor prescribed percoset and cautioned me about trying to be a hero and avoid pain meds. Said if I was not resting well, healing would take longer. I went from that to Tylenol PM at bedtime and eventually regular tylenol. With a c-section type cut, I was glad to have the help. Good luck!
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
pain meds post op

I was sent home on Percocet and Oxycontin. The Oxycontin was for long-term pain releif and the Percocet was for the breakthrough pain. The first two weeks I was on continuous pain meds. I started weaning myself down. By three weeks, I was pretty much just taking the 800 mg. ibuprofen. I think the longest I've gone wihtout taking anything is about 5 days. I have noticed though since she took about 10 of my stitches out about 10 days ago, I get a lot more pressure and pain mostly at the end of the day. Doesn't matter if I've only been sitting all day or on my feet at times. By 8:00 or so the pain/pressure seems to increase. The last three nights I have had to take the Percocet just to get comfortable enough to go to sleep. Between the Percocet and teh Ambien, I sleep pretty quicklly and pretty soundly. It's odd for me to take anything so if I take it.....I truly need it. I've always been that way. Delivered a 12 lb. 12 oz. baby vaginally with NOTHING! So, I've been know to be pretty strong. But the extent of my surgical wounds has taught me to take meds when I need them.....being able to rest comfortably lets your body put it's energy into healing and not fighting the pain.

Good luck all....
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
pain meds post op

Everone heals differently... depends on type of repairs done, and a patients peculiar tolerance for pain... and the fact is some Drs are not good listeners when it comes to their patients neededing a refill on pain meds.

My experience: I only needed half-doses of my Percocet for the first week or two .... I switched to Ibuprofin days and Percs at night after a few weeks, and had to refill the Perc script once because I needed them for night time. Belly aches at night, not so noticeable days when you are more active.
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
pain meds post op

Hi there

I was sent home with 50 percocet and just finsihed them 2 days ago yesterday was my first real day with ONLY IB and it did not work I had a a and p repair and I called today to talk to the nurse and she called me in a refil, I was trying to be a hero and didn't work for me at all.
Unread 04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
pain meds post op

If men were having this surgery, they would be on refill #7 by the third week.
Unread 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
pain meds post op

I took an ibuprofen before leaving the hospital and then let my pain level monitor whether I took another pain pill after that. I found that I mostly needed it when I needed to sleep and just could not get comfortable. Other then that I did not seem to need them. Was given vicodin and ibu scripts. Now at 5 weeks I still find I need the ibuprofen to rest sometimes. Like for the past two days. Just when you I am feeling really well, like back to my old self, I guess I forget and will twist or stretch wrong and end up bruised and hurting. listen to your body, your best guide
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:49 AM
pain meds post op

I did fine without anything. I didn't even need anything in hosp and the nurse was really trying to give me something..lil' pill pusher.
It depends on surgery and pain tolorance. If you need them then take them. There is no reason to be in pain.
Betty-Jo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register