pain meds post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain meds post op pain meds post op

Unread 04-18-2008, 06:38 AM
pain meds post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbear
Hi there

I was sent home with 50 percocet and just finsihed them 2 days ago yesterday was my first real day with ONLY IB and it did not work I had a a and p repair and I called today to talk to the nurse and she called me in a refil, I was trying to be a hero and didn't work for me at all.
Hey, Shell - got your message, thanks . Just real quick - what is an A/P repair? I should know the answer, but it is eluding me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 06:43 AM
pain meds post op

I go back and forth with this pain thing. I was sent home with 40 Percocet, which I have refilled. I got myself down to two during the day with two at bedtime. I went one day (the day before my post-op) on only IB and felt great. Then the day of my post-op it didn't work that way... took Percocet again. Yesterday was a so-so day on only IB. We'll see what today brings. I guess I'm anxious to be off the narcotics because of how it affects my digestive system - it's like night and day when I take them or not, even with stool softeners. And the other thing is that even though I was given clearance to drive at 2 weeks, my doc doesn't like the driving with the narcotics... not that I'm driving much of anywhere these days
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:44 AM
pain meds post op

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003982.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2008, 07:13 AM
pain meds post op

Thanks for the link. So... according to what I've read, if I had enterocele repair, does that fall under A/P repair?
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
pain meds post op

I think that your question has a different answer from everyone, as we all heal differently. It also has to do with how much work was done. For example, many women who have a da vinci hysterectomy report little to no pain. That was not the case for me! I had a radical hysterectomy with pelvic lymphadenectomy and bso so I had a lot of work done inside. I also have lupus so my body likes to get inflammation already. I already take a prescription anti inflammatory every day that is stronger than IB so the answer for me was prescription percocet. Please do not feel bad if you need to take pain meds, this is not a competition of who is the toughest, it is about you having the best recovery possible for you. Everyone heals at a different rate and everyones surgeons performs the operations in a different way. I am sure some are much rougher than others and I am sure this has a lot to do with the pain afterwards. I know mine was moving everything around checking while she was in there so...I am amazed how good many women feel afterward, this is great and I am sincerely happy for them, but if you need pain meds by all means please take them. I was worried about dependency myself, but I had no problem stopping when I was better, and I had to take them extra long because of my cuff repair surgery done 7 weeks after my hyst. Good luck to everyone. I hope I didn't ramble on too much.
Janelle
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
pain meds post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorodee
Thanks for the link. So... according to what I've read, if I had enterocele repair, does that fall under A/P repair?
Not sure about that. But if you had an AP repair it would be listed as an AP repair in your procedures and/or operative report.
Unread 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
pain meds post op

I am 1 week post-op and was wondering about pain meds, too. I was sent home with 30 vicodin (1 refill) and 30 ibu 600. I have been able to cut down to 1/2 a vicodin every 4 hrs (a full one right before bed) and the ibu every 6 hrs, but I am still at the point that I know when the 4 hrs are up. After reading some of the posts about sisters just on Motrin or Tylenol, I was beginning to think I was overdoing it. Glad to see that everyone has a different timetable.
Unread 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
pain meds post op

I started this thread and think that is good for everyone to see how everyone is affected differently.
I'm just surprised that we are given these pain meds but sometimes we don't even need them, I took the risk and tried going with out them and just used IB and tylenol, and for me it worked, I know that won't be for everyone. But i think its important to share with others so we can all learn from others.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register