The far-reaching effects of NOT caring for myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The far-reaching effects of NOT caring for myself The far-reaching effects of NOT caring for myself

Unread 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
The far-reaching effects of NOT caring for myself

So...at some point over the last year or so I did finally realize that my endo was having a far-reaching effect on others. Among some of the people & creatures it impacted:

* My husband and kids, who have been dealing with an overly exhausted and often pain-ridden ME in all the ways you can imagine.

* My extended family and friends. I've been dodging social events left and right because I never know how I'll feel or "what might happen" while I'm out.

* My clients. I've been unable to meet deadlines more often than I'd like to admit, mostly due to terrible fatigue. I've lost clients. Therefore I've lost money that is MUCH needed in this household.

* My garden. I LOVE to garden, but have done hardly ANY yard work over the last two years.

* Me: EVERYTHING!

Well...today I took the dog to the vet (want everything for her in order before I'm recovering)
and it turns out that she's put on EIGHT pounds and is now considered overweight! I was stunned, and then realized that it's because my walks have grown shorter...and shorter...and shorter... Walking is tough with pelvic pain.

My dog is another love in my life impacted, another love who will ultimately benefit from this surgery.

Do share how your condition has impacted your life, and what you look forward to when all is said and done!

Much love,
Goldie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Oh Goldie, I can sympathize so much with you! My doctor suggested the option of a hysterectomy over a year ago & I ignored the very thought of it, but as the next 12 months went on I realized a terrible patten in my life. I was doing things that were so out of character, yet didn't even realize that it was happening until it all got way out of hand.

I was canceling plans left & right with friends & even family because of the pain or heavy bleeding, making up random excuses because I was too embarrassed to talk about it & afraid that my girlfriends wouldn't sympahize because everyone has a period, so just suck it up....right? It got so bad that they finally just stopped asking me to go anywhere because I was "unreliable" & when I finally heard that it really hurt & made me so sad!

I have called out countless times at work for the same reasons, yet making up excuses instead of telling the truth. It actually hurt me professionally, I was written up & put on probation, again dubbed unreliable. I have always had a strong work ethic & for that to happen was unheard of for me, not to mention that it hurt me financially.

I've neglected housework & other important errands & commitments because I was too exhausted from it all to deal with it.

Finally it was like a lightbulb went on in my head in the middle of the night about a month ago & I finally thought, what the hell has happened to me? How did I let this go for so long? I e-mailed my GYN's secretary at 3:00 in the morning & begged for an appointemnt ASAP, I was finally so sick & tired or feeling sick & tired!!! I didn't know or like the person that I had become in the last year.

No more catering to my uterus, fibroids, endometriosis & all of that dysfunctional bleeding, sometimes 3 out of 4 weeks at a time! I am taking my life back & so ready to start anew. The grass is going to be greener on the other side!

Lots of love & happy thoughts coming your way!
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I am so Grateful I Had the Surgury...Best Decision I Ever Made!

It has been over two years since I had a partial hysterectomy I kept in the cervix and the ovaries. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I EVER did. I was like you, in pain, missing days from work and the quality of my life was suffering due to fibroids! I finallly decided to have the surgury and my life is SO much better! I do not miss having a period once a month and feel really healty most of the time. The idea of surgury was really scary and recovering was not a lot of fun, but about a month later, I can honestly it was one of the best health decisions I ever made. (Its right up there with laser surgry) I returned to work after two weeks and it took me about a month to feel completly normal. I am so glad I got over being so stubborn about getting surguury. My life is way better for it. Good luck May 6th.
Peace,
Diva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:14 PM

Goldie....nice thread....good idea. although I think we're going to have a tough time matching your comprehensive list.

I don't have the kids, but my business has definitely suffered, and my relationship with DH suffered....I couldn't figure out why I wasn't interested in anything, he got tired of my moodiness, friends tried to help by telling him he just had to 'put up with me' til I finished menopause (some friends,huh?), and my primary care decided I was depressed, and talked me into taking some antianxiety meds (that last about 1 week, when I realized I now felt REALLY uninterested in anything that was going on, and refused to take any more)
I haven't even had my surgery yet, but merely the knowledge that there is a cause for my fatigue, and lack of energy, and physically never feeling quite right, and that the fibroids might even be the cause of the mood swings, has helped a tremendous amount, in dealing with the emotional and mental impact of all of this. DH and I have now had some serious discussions about all of this, my attitude has changed, and we're both looking forward to the very near future,when I will feel GOOD.
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Oh Goldie, Goldie, Goldie!

I hear you sister. I must say as Dancingfool did that I might have a tough time matching lists with you and Tallulahbird.

However, I do feel I have been feeling sick and tired over and over again for a couple of years. I have had less invasive procedure to get past this twice in the last year and have also been hospitaled twice for pain management etc.

I knew I was doing the right thing yesterday when I had a meltdown in Home Depot about lightbulbs and some man looked at me like I'd lost my marbles as my hubby tried to run in the other direction and hide.

I have found I have been very emotional and very moody and gained weight and I just want to be me again ... whoever that is/was? As my hubby would say, "Baby, you've lost your spirit"!

I am so looking forward to posting with you Goldie in our post op recovery group April 21-28 as I am in surgery a day before you.

Great big hugs,
Tracy
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:50 AM

ah freezy...when I read your quote from your husband "Baby, you've lost your spirit" I can totally relate, you summed it up completely. That puts into words exactly what I am feeling!

Dancingfool & I are 4 days apart in our surgeries...right behind you & Goldie. I look so forward to meeting up with all of you again on the 'other side' to share all of the great stories that will make up our futures.

Love & luck to all of you!
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizdivaca
It has been over two years since I had a partial hysterectomy I kept in the cervix and the ovaries. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I EVER did. I was like you, in pain, missing days from work and the quality of my life was suffering due to fibroids! I finallly decided to have the surgury and my life is SO much better! I do not miss having a period once a month and feel really healty most of the time. The idea of surgury was really scary and recovering was not a lot of fun, but about a month later, I can honestly it was one of the best health decisions I ever made. (Its right up there with laser surgry) I returned to work after two weeks and it took me about a month to feel completly normal. I am so glad I got over being so stubborn about getting surguury. My life is way better for it. Good luck May 6th.
Peace,
Diva
Thank you for your amazing words of wisdom, I appreciate it so much. I know that I will be so much better off after the surgery is over. Like you, I was stubborn about it for way too long!
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Great thread. It took me a long time too to realize how much my severe bleeding, evergrowing enlarged uterus with endometriosis was causing me problems in almost every area of my life. The fatigue contiually was getting worse revolving everything I did and where I went according to an erratic period schedule was very difficult. We have 5 children and attending games and school functions was always a chance. We farm full-time and own a small business. My help is always needed....unfortunatly I was not always at my best. My LSH surgery was 1 week ago tomorrow and already I am feeling better. Tired but better. As my Dr. said, I am going to have a great summer! I am so very thankful that there is Help available I just wished I would have understood that sooner.
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Girls who are scheduled for up comming surgury, please keep posting and let me know how you are doing. I am forever grateful for this board when I was having this done!
Peace,
Diva
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:07 PM

Of all the threads I've read here, this one makes my eyes well up. The fatigue, the increasing discomforts/pain, the erosion of relationships, the years of being misunderstood, mislabeled...

Thank goodness, soon this will all be in the PAST!! We're on the threshold of a fresh start!! (Just be sure to remind me of this after I've been crowned and I'm whining about one thing or another!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register