Vaginal hysterectomy ~ anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy ~ anyone else? Vaginal hysterectomy ~ anyone else?

Unread 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
New Here, hopefully not lost?

I had a vaginal hyst on the 8th. I guess from what I have seen here. I am doing well. Bummed that I can't drive yet until my 2 week preop. It is hard to find other people out there who had a vaginal hyst I keep wondering if my recovery and limitations should be different than everyone else? Anyone else have a vaginal hyst this week without complications I can compare my progress with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy ~ anyone else?

I had LAVH on the 10th and am wondering the same thing. I would love to take a bath...a really long one I hate showers.
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Recent TVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSun
I had a vaginal hyst on the 8th. I guess from what I have seen here. I am doing well. Bummed that I can't drive yet until my 2 week preop. It is hard to find other people out there who had a vaginal hyst I keep wondering if my recovery and limitations should be different than everyone else? Anyone else have a vaginal hyst this week without complications I can compare my progress with?
My TVH was on March 10. I was given the okay to drive at my two weeks post op check up as well. What I wasn't prepared for however, was my doctor saying he would release me to return to work; that there was no medical reason why I couldn't (mine is primarily a desk job).

I was pretty taken aback, because I really didn't feel ready to go back physically, mentally, or emotionally and also because when I made the appointment for the surgery back in February and asked his staff member about the time I should request off, she told me in no uncertain terms, you're going to need six weeks. Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Anyway, my post op check up was on a Tuesday. By Friday, I was able to talk with my boss and worked out where I would return to work the next week on Tuesday and work half days that week. The week after that was spring break (I work for a school district) and so I was going to be off anyway.

As far as post op progress - the first week after surgery, I definitely felt fragile and sore and found it difficult to lift even an empty 16 oz glass tumbler. I treated myself like I was a very delicate piece of china. Ditto for week two, except I felt a little stronger. By week three, I could move around the house a little faster and felt better. However, that Saturday before I went back to work, I asked my husband to take me to a little town not far from where we live to browse antique stores and have lunch and ended up being exhausted after being there for just an hour or so.

I'm so glad I only worked half days in the afternoons the first week back to work because I was worn out in the evenings. I went back full days this week and although I was tired in the evenings, I felt much stronger. I'm very fortunate to have a supportive boss and co-workers. That has helped me transition back as well.

The discharge has tapered off significantly since the beginning. It hasn't been pinkish for about 3 weeks. It mostly is a yellowish beige color. Sometimes it looks yellowish green and that worries me, but I don't have a fever or any other symptoms that indicate a problem so I haven't called the doctor. My six weeks check up is this coming Tuesday.

I still am extremely uncomfortable if I have to sit for a long period of time. It seems the discharge gets heavier when I do, or when I pick up my activity level. I sometimes have a sensation that feels like someone is pinching me at the top of my vagina, but no pain. I gave my shower stall a good cleaning last weekend and could have used a good nap afterwards. I felt a little sore so I wondered if I had overdone it. I also still cannot lift very heavy items without feeling that "catch" in my pelvic area that tells me "stop! don't lift that!"

Hope this helps and hope your recovery goes well. If I had to do it all over again, I would have told my doctor that although he felt there was no medical reason I shouldn't return to work, that I didn't feel ready and I wanted more time. I didn't do that and went back to work more out of guilt than feeling ready to go back. It seems like once you take off your pajamas and start wearing regular clothes everyday and your doctor says you can go back to work, you tend to want to forget that you're still recovering and you still need to take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM

Hi
I am a TVH on April 8th as well..
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:01 AM

I had a lavh on 4/17/08 and am doing great. I was told baths are okay and can drive when I feel ready. Surg. went great. just no lifting over 5lbs.
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:04 AM

HI girls I had a TVH but with A and P repairs which I am finding to be my most challenge as to feeling better. MY Dr Said before my surgery that he would allow me to drive by week 3 post op, but I was told right from the start I could take baths! HTH

I am doing better but due to my repairs I have had a tough time
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:34 AM

My TVH was back in October, but maybe I can help a little. Of course, my doctor spoiled me. Anyway, I was able to drive after my 2 week post op, as long as I was no longer on the narcs. As far as baths, I started a little after 1 week post op. Clean bath, no bubbles, salts, etc. I could do absolutley NO CLEANING until 6 weeks post op, and even after that it was light cleaning only. No sex until 6 weeks. I was even told no cooking on Thanksgiving. I was to sit down and watch football and let everyone else take care of it. LOL I went back to work at 7 1/2 weeks only because I ran out of sick pay. He wanted to write me off until the first of the year. Would have loved that if I could have afforded it.

I do remember my entire recovery, so if you'd like to know anything else, feel free to ask.
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM

GS - it has been a while for me too. But i certainly remember reading threads for so many that had TAH and felt that I was one of the few that was dealing with the vaginal version. I do think it makes recovery so much easier. I felt pretty great and probably did things i should not have. Did drive a few blocks after one week. Just remember that you are healing on the inside and to take it easy - one chance to heal properly. Whenever i overdid it - usually cleaning a little too much or out too long, i was sore the next day and would have to spend some time in bed. I think weeks 3 and 4 were actually worse than the first few. More sore... and the constipation was not under control even by then. In hindsight i wish i had just told myself to schedule a time every single day to lie down and rest, no matter how good i felt. I think your body needs that. Just listen to your doc - and your body. soon you will be cleared for activities and you will feel back to normal in every way.
Unread 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM

I had a total TVH, removal of left ovary and tube and extensive A & P repair on 4/9. I'm really tired right now or I would go into details, I would love to compare notes later though.
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Hi

I am 7.5 weeks Post Op LAVH BSO with Adhesions and Endo and 52 yrs old.

In myself I feel great, however The tummy still complains if I lift anything too heavy and do too much.

In Australia the recommended time off to recover initially is 6 weeks regardless of the way the hysterectomy was performed - 2 weeks is way too early, even though you don't have external stitches you have a hell of a lot of internal healing and also the vaginal cuff has to heal.

I would like to see one of those DR's go back to work in 2 weeks.

There is no way I could have been back to work so quickly and we have to wait 4 weeks to drive.

At the 7 week mark I am feeling great but still get tired and ache from time to time.

Take the time to let yourself heal properly and REST UP.

Take care

Kezza

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register