When did your post-op soreness start to disappear? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did your post-op soreness start to disappear? When did your post-op soreness start to disappear?

Unread 04-19-2008, 05:03 PM
When did your post-op soreness start to disappear?

I am 8 weeks post op and still have quite a bit of abdominal soreness. When did your soreness start to disappear and why do the muscles take so long to heal? Now I know why they say six months to feel better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Hi MonLee!

The stiffness, achy feeling and tenderness began to disappear just a few weeks after my surgery, but for close to a year afterwards I would experience some of these symptoms (albeit with less intensity) from time to time.

I'm not a medical professional so I can't answer your question as to "why" muscles take so long to heal. But if you think we have it bad, you don't even want to know what heart bypass patients go through.

I am the most impatient person in the world so I understand that this early recovery time seems to drag on very slowly. Try not to worry about it. I hope that better days are ahead for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM

Hi

I am also nearly 8 weeks post op although I had a LAVH BSO, still tender if I do too much.

Usually find by the afternoon I am aching a bit, but not enough to keep me awake at night and more often then not if I rest it eases up if not I take a couple of panadenie it it goes away.

Went for a walk to the local shops this morning to buy the Sunday paper with DH and the dog and have ben a bit sore since.

So I reckon it will be sometime before we can do normal activities without some sort of reminder that we need to take car.

cheers

Kezza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2008, 12:29 AM

I'm finding this very depressing. I'm finishing up week 2 after surgery. I had TAH BSO. These little pains are driving are crazy! I generally feel well, but find if I bend (how often you do that without thinking about it!!!) I get little aches. I keep thinking it will go away soon, and I'll feel back to normal. But now I'm reading that I'll have months of this sensation?
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM

m1chelez--don't let it get too depressing!

I find it a bit frustrating myself, that at 6+ weeks I'm still having days where I want to do nothing but go to bed, but if I pay attention, I see that those days are getting fewer and fewer. There are a lot more days where I can get out and act like a "normal person" as I call it--although those are often followed by a day of bed.

The pains and limitations can be really depressing at times, when you feel like you're stuck in the house feeling lousy instead of out doing what you want to be.

The main way I've found to manage these is by trying to do what I can on the days that I can--even if it's something as simple as sitting on the back patio in the sun for a half hour getting my vitamin D-- and then treating the days where I can't do things almost as my "spa days" where I give myself permission to watch trashy tv, knit read whatever I want, nap, and pamper myself.

I tend toward a real guilt complex if I'm not doing something that seems productive, especially since I don't work outside the house. We've got three kids at home (one who just broke his leg on Monday!) and I feel really bad if DH is taking on most of the chores and care. (Even if they *are* his kids--I'm the wicked stepmother, lol) So, I just try to balance the times of doing something useful, with taking time out for me.

My rationale is, if I don't take the time to recover FULLY from this, I'll just feel lousy longer, and be of no use to anyone! So, I gotta do it right the first time.

I told everyone that my post-surgery recovery time in bed was my "vacation!!" I planned out knitting projects, collected magazines and books, picked out DVDs, got a new MP3 player, got new pillows, nightgowns, the whole nine yards, and celebrated the idea of having at least two to three weeks of not having the answer the question "What's for dinner?"

Another thing I find invaluable is yoga. I've been doing light (very light!) yoga at home for quite some time now, so I was able to adapt some simple poses for a practice in my recovery. [mandatory disclaimer here] WITH YOUR DOCTOR'S BLESSING, some simple yoga can actually help relax you, a lot, and even ease some pain, in some cases. Everyone is different!

Find something that relaxes you, whether it's knitting (my fav), reading, music, simply going outside and relaxing listening to the birds, or reading gossip magazines. It can really help to ease the depression that comes with the pain.

There's my 2 cents (more like 99 cents!) anyway.
Best wishes!!
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm 3 weeks post-op and have discovered if I do too much (walking, driving, shopping, or bending) in one day, I'm in mild pain and simply exhausted the next day.

My DH is finding it old to be doing most of the housework and starting to complain. Gee, when I fully recover, I'll never hear the end of these few weeks recovery time.

My friends, who are years post-op, assure me that all this will pass and then I'll start feeling great in about 6 months!

I guess we all need to just hang in there and look forward to full recovery.
Unread 04-20-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi Monlee,
I am 5 months postop, and can FINALLY say that I seldom even think about my surgery. Occasionally, a little swelly belly will pop up, but nothing like before.
Be very patient. I wanted to get over it overnight, but it just takes time, and soon you will feel right as rain. I actually feel better than before.
Take care of yourself and have a good recovery. I had to go back to teaching at 6 weeks, so I didn't have too much down time.
Do something that you enjoy that keeps you busy!!!
God bless!
Grace
Unread 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Hi M1chelez How much bending are you doing? Lots or little. What kind of pains are you having. I had my surgery on the same day as you did. I am just sore still, not really pains. Hope you are feeling better!
Unread 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Hi Hoodoodoll-I know what you mean about feeling guilty. My husband, daughter and I own a very busy embroidery business and they are coming home exhausted and it makes me feel so guilty about not being there. I did the same thing, bought all new pjs, which is weird in itself since I have worn T-Shirts for the past 53 years-give or take a few I have many projects that I had planned too, but so far, I just don't feel like it! Hope that gets better, I feel more like it before my "vacation" is over.

I think my DH is hoping I will go back to work next week, but I don't think so. I feel really good, but...I went out a bit yesterday and am whipped today!

Anyway, have a great day and we all can enjoy our vacations together.
Unread 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Still having soreness/discomfort

I am glad to see I am not the only one. I am also 8 weeks post op. I can't wait until I have a "pain" free day. I am returning to work tomorrow and am petrified. I am an x-ray tech and don't know how I am going to be able to move patients, wheelchairs and stretchers. I am so afraid I am going to damage everything. I still have swelly belly. Thank god our scrubs are elastic waist bands. Thanks to all of you for listening. At least I know I'm not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register