Crashing and burning - cold shivers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crashing and burning - cold shivers Crashing and burning - cold shivers

Unread 04-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Crashing and burning - cold shivers

Hi

I am 7 weeks Post of LAVH BSO and have noticed since returning to the work force last week that by mid afternoon I am crashing and burning - loosing energy and find that I then feel really cold and get the cold shivers.

Get this I actually have had to resort to having a hot shower just to warm up.

Other then that I feel pretty good still a bit achy if I have tried to do too much housework so am making sure I take it easy and work isn't hard although I do have a 40 min dirive too and from.

Not sure what is causing the cold shivers??

any ideas

Kezza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2008, 06:02 AM

There are a couple of potential reasons for feeling cold.

The same hormone situation that causes hot flashes also causes cold flashes. I didn't have bad hot flashes, but I got unbearably cold quite a bit for a couple of months after my surgery. Winter had nothing to do with it, we kept the house at 73 degrees the whole time. I'd still sit at the dinner table with a blanket wrapped around me some evenings. Hormones have a lot to do with other things that they never tell you about like body temperature regulation. My body seems to have adjusted now. I haven't shivered like that in a month or more.

I'm also just now, in the last month, completely recovered from the anemia that all that extra bleeding for months on end caused.

It gets better, just be patient. I'm 4.5 months out from surgery, and feeling about 90% recovered.
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Hey DNK,

Are you still eating well, afternoon snacks...etc? What you're describing is exactly how I feel if I've gotten busy forgotten to eat for a while. (especially protein)
Take care and let us know how you're doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2008, 06:04 PM

I understand about the cold shivers, lol. I felt like that about 4 weeks out. I too, had to take a hot bath to warm up. I haven't felt like that in a while now though. I have returned to work also, but I make sure I eat lunch even though I am not hungry. I also take a quick 20 min. nap in my car, lol listening to music also so I don't sleep too long. It could be like someone said, if you wait too long to eat your blood sugar plummets. You might wanna call DR, to ask their opinion.
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM

thanks girls,

that makes sense about the hormones and also about eating properly.

A couple of times it has happened is after going to do a bit of retail therapy - I can't buy lunch when I am out as I am gluten intolerant so usually wait until I get home.

Will remember to take a snack from here on in.

also had both ovaries removed and am on HRT - so the hormone bit makes heaps of sense.

Will be seeing the family Dr this afternoon so will ask him about this.

Thanks heaps girls

Kezza
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM

I had horrible cold shivers that started about 9 weeks post op and went on for at least a mth, I had a lot of mood swings, breast tenderness and started feeling sad around that time. I really "know" mine was hormonal but asked 2 of my doctors about it and they looked at me like I was crazy, I haven't had them now for a couple weeks so I am just hoping my hormones are getting back on track.
Best of luck, Deanna
Unread 04-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Exactly! OMG! I was going to post about this. Mine started shortly after surgery. I had been in peri-menopause prior to surgery, so thought the cold shivers were odd, as I hadn't experienced those before. I noticed they occur mostly when I am tired or hungry, so figured it out a bit on my own. Glad to see others also deal with this. We live in a very cold climate, but know that since I hadn't experienced it previously it had nothing to do with the actual temperature.

And I would much rather have these shivers than the blasted hot flashes! Ugh. Hated those things.

Thanks!
Unread 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM

G'day everyone,

Isn't it funny how we all think we are going crazy when we have something different happen to us, this site is a gem....

It is so reassuring to know that others ae experiencing the same oddities, so MANY MANY Thanks to all of you for putting my mind at ease and KEEP posting.

From 'Down Under'

Kezza

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register