I need to change Dr.'s How Can I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need to change Dr.'s How Can I? I need to change Dr.'s How Can I?

Unread 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I need to change Dr.'s How Can I?

Please help. I am 8 days out, and I need to change Dr.'s. I should have went with my first impression but did not. I am now stuck because I am 100% sure no other doctor would want to touch me mid stream. I am 37 years old and I have NEVER had a situation like this. I do not know the first thing about going about this. I have made up my mind. The other gyn's I called yesterday will take me, but after my six week check up with my current gyn. So right now I suppose my only option is to go with out medical care for the next 6 weeks. I am fixing to call my insurance company to see if they have an advocate or something that will work on my behalf. If anyone out there has gone through this, I sure would like to hear from you. I dont need details, why, just how to handle. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM

hudnala,

Is it something your regular doc can help you with? If you call them maybe they can help you out with a referral..If not then you just might be stuck with this one..sorry..most doctors don't like to take "under care" from other docs...must b a code or something!..Good Luck...

keeping you in my thoughts and
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM

I suggest you call your family doctor, even make an appointment to meet with him/her to discuss what's happened. I met with my family doctor after going through two "bad" gyns. He was supportive and encouraged me to go out-of-state to get the surgery I needed that wasn't available locally (I'm 11 days post-op). He also said if and when I needed a new gyn here in my city, he would be glad to help me find one.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution to your problem.

cynjo7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for your responses. I am up crap creek with out a paddle. I have called all over, and no doctor will accept me mid post op. I completely understand that. I think all Dr.'s have a "dont step on each other toes complex" , to heck with the patient.

My only option at this point was to call the clinic and ask the administrator to speak on my behalf with another gyn and see if they will see me. The admin told me he will call me tomorrow and let me know how it goes.
Unread 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM

hudnala,

Sorry that you are going through the recovery period without the support & confidence in your doctor. Even your primary care doctor would not see you just for moral support & questions?

Hope that a path opens for you. In the meantime, the ladies in this group will be with you online : )
Unread 04-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Terrible for you to have to go through this just when you need to be able to ask questions!!

I'd second what answerseeker suggests: try your regular doc.

I found that my primary care physician (internist) really wanted to be consulted all along the way, including post-op checkins. It kind of annoyed the surgeon but I certainly appreciated it.
Unread 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM

A lot of times they are reluctant to take post-operative patients because they have no idea if any complications arose during surgery, etc. You are also only about 1 week post-op.

Is your GYN in a practice? If so could you talk with their office manager and ask to be changed (if possible.)

This has to be a hard situation. It is hard enought just focusing on Post-Op recovery much less have to know who you can trust with your care.

Finally, they aren't covering for each other as much as they are trying to protect themselves. They can see a lot more routine patients in the same time, and therefore make more money. Sad but true.

Good luck to you. I am wondering if you are not experiencing any complications if you can just go to your family Dr?
Unread 04-23-2008, 06:33 AM

I called the administrator to see if he can talk to one of the other gyn's into doing my follow up care. He will let me know something today.

I love my family practice doctor, but he has never once seen me naked. I want to keep it that way. I go to him for eveything but that. I know, weird. I just do not feel comfortable with him looking at something that needs to be taken care of once year. He is in the family practice part of the clinc, and the surgeon is in the gyn part of the clinic.

I live in small town U.S.A. , I have called out to the larger cities an NO ONE will accept me mid stream. They all want me released from the current gyn.
So either the admin gets me changed or I go with out health care. I guess its quite simple really. I am getting ready to make a formal complaint though.
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:07 AM

im sorry your going through this hun! i also dont have very much confidence in the choice of dr i made, i know not the same situation as you but i kinda know how u feel. i hope the admin can do something for you quickly so u can get the care u need! ill be thinking of you
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Thank you so much! I will say a prayer for you too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register